_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya M4 early
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:44 PM UTC
I bought this kit many years ago and have since read that there are a ton of problems with it.
Is there any useful bits?
I have an old MP models M4a2 conversion that intended for this kit and it was my intention to a Sherbrooke Fuseliers model from the Tamiya M4 or should I just give this a kid.

Thanks for any help or advice
Gord
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Here's a tweaks list for the M4.

http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/Tamiya/tamiya35190.html

I don't know the quality or accuracy of the MP models M4A2 hull. Try to get a set of earlier VVS bogies than what the Tamiya kit provides.
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC
Thanks Roy!
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC
That is quite a list, the hull and it's recessed weld lines, hollow sponsons, lack of casting nmbers, bolts and a host of small detailsucap handles just seems too much work to bother with.
I like the breech supplied, stowage and bits so I think I will just consign this to the parts box
Is the turret generally OK?
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought this kit many years ago and have since read that there are a ton of problems with it.
Is there any useful bits?
I have an old MP models M4a2 conversion that intended for this kit and it was my intention to a Sherbrooke Fuseliers model from the Tamiya M4 or should I just give this a kid.

Thanks for any help or advice
Gord

Ok, the turret in that kit is worth keeping having a rudimentary interior with breech etc. I cannot recall MP ever releasing an M4A2 conversion, just an M4/M4A3 conversion as the Tamiya hoods are the same pattern as for an M4A3 early or M4A4.
I would keep the turret and just get a decent M4A2 Tasca/Asuka if you can afford it or The DML Sherman III, Sherman III Sicily or the Sherman III DV Early Production
Al
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 06:35 AM UTC
You could spend more money or just build it and have some fun! I have a ton of older kits that are less than accurate but with the right combination of preparation, painting, and finishing it will look like a gem! Either way be sure to post some pics when you get it done!

Cheers,

Tim
2-32sherman
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi Gordon,

the Tamiya M4 kit is a pain in the ass!
As Roy told you, you'll need the earlier VVSS bogies with the strait return roller brackets! Asuka has outstanding ones!
You'll also need the sponson floors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Formations or plastic sheet will correct it!

In addition, - Tamiya's weld beads are supressed!!!! One of the famous Tamiya novelties!!!!!!
I recommend filling them with putty and add ARCHER weld beads.
As you started with the weld beads, be advised; - the weld beads on the glacis have to be corrected too. Archer will come to your help. check with the Ampersand pub "SON OF SHERMAN, VOLUME 1. The best reference for fans of the TANK, MEDIUM, M41

I had build the Tamiya M4 in the early 80-ties, not being aware of all it's faults! That's the reason that I throw it in the trash, BUT saving the turret! OK, you'll need a new TC cupola, but you'll find it in the program of different companies. I prefer the M4 parts from TMD! Great value for your money!

Recently I had finished an "Sherman I" IAW British nomenclature, of the Nottingshamshire Yeomanry of 33rd Armoured Brigade, the only British armoured brigade using the M4 tank. Finally it looked great, but I had invested a lot of hours!

Gordon, if you want to go with an Sherman III of Sherbrooke Fusiliers with 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, I would recommend the ASUKA kit 35-018, British Sherman III - Mid Production (/w Cast Driver's Hood9.

Or try to get one of Asuka's Sherman III with DV.
On a picture I have a Sherman III DV with applique armor covering the DV of "First Hussars" in a French town. Looks great!

Greets

Hank
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:32 PM UTC
Thanks Al and Tim,

I know what you mean Tim about older kits; they can be fun and a lot of flaws can be hidden by tarps, buckets etc. I built a Peerless FAT years ago and I am quite happy with the result, or at least I was until the last house move.

You are right Al it is an M4/M4a3 conversion. Not sure I need it anymore with the availability of the new Dragon Sherman III's.

I do have a couple of MP M4A4 conversions and an old Kirin dv hull so I think I will use the Tamiya turret on one or the other and see if I cobble together a suspension set for that. The Tamiya road wheels can be used somewhere I hope, the accessories are quite nice and the rest goes in the bin. The bonus is I can eliminate a box from the stack and make my wife happier!
BTW the MP M4A4 hull looks quite good to my eye with delicate raised welds and casting numbers and looks no worse than the early Dragon efforts. I don't like the split transmission but I can live with it.
Any suggestion for cheapish suspension bits?

Gord
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 09:54 PM UTC
Hi Hank,
and thanks. I have a first release Tasca Firefly and it is very nice indeed, so the Asuka kits really do appeal to me. But, they are so expensive and none of my current wholesalers carry them (and I hate paying full price). I have 3 of the current Dragon III's and IIIDV's that sort of fell into my hands, and they look pretty OK.

Gord
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

check with the Ampersand pub "SON OF SHERMAN, VOLUME 1. The best reference for fans of the TANK, MEDIUM, M41

I prefer the M4 parts from TMD! Great value for your money!

Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hi Hank.
I know Ampersand of course but do not know TMD. Where can I find there stuff?

Gord
treadstone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hello Gordon, here is the address to TMD,http://tigermodeldesigns.com, hope this helps. Juan.
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC
Thank You,
some very nice looking bits
 _GOTOTOP