_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Leopard 2A4M CAN build
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
Steve Brodie puts the Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4M CAN to the test with an excellent build!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:06 PM UTC
Nice work on the almost OOB build review of the kit Steve.

You did a very nice job on explaining the pros and challenges in the kit in terms that the average modellers will understand.

As with any detailed kit studying the instructions in conjunction with good reference material is a must do in order to ensure parts go where they should the first attempt.

If anyone is building this kit they can drop me a message and I'll help them out with details.

recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 10:27 PM UTC
Great build and review of the kit, well done.

If anyone requires more information , material or details on the Leo 2A4M, or any other Canadian Leopard 2, let me know as I have authored a Juggernaut of a DVD reference for use by modelers , with close to 10GB of information and many unpublished photos.

Cheers

Anthony

Canadian Leopard Project Series author
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Awesome
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 04:24 AM UTC
Nice review Steve
brodiebear
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 04:50 PM UTC
thanks
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:42 PM UTC
Very nice built. I don't understand this text about slat armor and MCS Barracuda.

I completely bypassed this step as operational leopards do not have these slats fitted, they were fitted during operations in Afghanistan but that was only for a very short period of time, before Canadian forces withdrew in July 2011. Even with these slats fitted in Afghanistan, the tanks were also fitted with the Barracuda MCS (Mobile, multi spectral, Camouflage System _ this system reduces the thermal/heat signature of the tank, also keeps the crew a bit cooler) netting all over the hull and turret. On return to Canada the slats and Barracuda netting were removed and this is how they operate today, so with no barracuda netting supplied in the kit, the 'fit out' is totally inaccurate, and as I wanted to build an accurate 2A4M I have left it off, shame really.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice built. I don't understand this text about slat armor and MCS Barracuda.

I completely bypassed this step as operational leopards do not have these slats fitted, they were fitted during operations in Afghanistan but that was only for a very short period of time, before Canadian forces withdrew in July 2011. Even with these slats fitted in Afghanistan, the tanks were also fitted with the Barracuda MCS (Mobile, multi spectral, Camouflage System _ this system reduces the thermal/heat signature of the tank, also keeps the crew a bit cooler) netting all over the hull and turret. On return to Canada the slats and Barracuda netting were removed and this is how they operate today, so with no barracuda netting supplied in the kit, the 'fit out' is totally inaccurate, and as I wanted to build an accurate 2A4M I have left it off, shame really.

Hopefully this helps you out...

Germany- During the development and trials of the Leopard 2A4M CAN at KMW in Germany a single tank was fitted with the slat armour package as shown in the kit. It was only used for testing. When the tank was turned over to the Canadian Army it reverted to the configuration used currently in Canada.

Afghanistan- The five Leopard 2A4M CANs that deployed to Afghanistan were fitted with the slat armour package but they also had the Barracuda MCS panels attached. The slat armour on all five tanks took a beating by the way and all of them had damaged slat sections.

Canada- The Leopard 2A4M CANs in Canada are not fitted with the slat armour package or the Barracuda MCS panels but they do have all of the Velcro patches.

More Canada- The Leopard 2A4M CANs are currently going through upgrades. This includes additional lower front hull towing pintles for mounting a future dozer, mine rollers, and mine plough. The Commander's sight has been upgraded to the PERI-R17 A2. This required a turret top modification to reposition the PERI sight in front of the hatch ring.

Clear as mud?
brodiebear
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:30 PM UTC
yep as he "LeoDmdr" said
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hopefully this helps you out...

Germany- During the development and trials of the Leopard 2A4M CAN at KMW in Germany a single tank was fitted with the slat armour package as shown in the kit. It was only used for testing. When the tank was turned over to the Canadian Army it reverted to the configuration used currently in Canada.

Afghanistan- The five Leopard 2A4M CANs that deployed to Afghanistan were fitted with the slat armour package but they also had the Barracuda MCS panels attached. The slat armour on all five tanks took a beating by the way and all of them had damaged slat sections.

Canada- The Leopard 2A4M CANs in Canada are not fitted with the slat armour package or the Barracuda MCS panels but they do have all of the Velcro patches.

More Canada- The Leopard 2A4M CANs are currently going through upgrades. This includes additional lower front hull towing pintles for mounting a future dozer, mine rollers, and mine plough. The Commander's sight has been upgraded to the PERI-R17 A2. This required a turret top modification to reposition the PERI sight in front of the hatch ring.

Clear as mud?

OK I understand. Thank you very much.
baldwin8
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 06:12 PM UTC
Thank you Steve for the all the efforts. Just pulling the trees out of the bags last night and started on the tracks. Agreed they are not my favorite set of tracks to work on but will likely go the route of many and only assemble the parts visible.

Craig
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:09 AM UTC
Nice review, thanks
 _GOTOTOP