_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
home made wash fluid
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 05:40 AM UTC
I dont feel like buying a pre made product.What are my options using Tamiya acrylics?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC
Use Tamiya Acrylic as your base coat,but your going to want to wash with an enamel wash,or with oils.
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Use Tamiya Acrylic as your base coat,but your going to want to wash with an enamel wash,or with oils.

Thanks.I did base coat acrylic.The guy at my local hobby shop say enamel and acrylics dont mix,but you can paint enamels onto dried arylics?The hobby shop guy probably doesnt know what he is talking about.I asked him for panzer grey paint,he said there is no such thing.I picked up an early Tiger 1 off the shelf and said "this colour grey".He replied "but thats not a panzer,that is a tank".
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 06:37 AM UTC
Yes you cant mix Acrilycs and Enamel or oil but when acrylics are dry you dont have any problem with enamel or oil washes,but if you want you can mix Oils with Enamel paint,they use the same Thinners,Turps,white spirits and similar stuff

you can do washes also with acrilycs but i dont like, they dry to fast and if you do a mistake you can't go back, with Enamel and oil is very easy to clean and restart.

The guy at the shop need to learn a lots or change job!...

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks.I did base coat acrylic.The guy at my local hobby shop say enamel and acrylics dont mix,but you can paint enamels onto dried arylics?The hobby shop guy probably doesnt know what he is talking about.I asked him for panzer grey paint,he said there is no such thing.I picked up an early Tiger 1 off the shelf and said "this colour grey".He replied "but thats not a panzer,that is a tank".

Yes,once the acrylic dries (24 hrs) it will stand up to any enamel or oil wash.
unfortuntly or maybe fortunately,you might want to direct your questions here instead of there.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 04:03 PM UTC
Here's a feature about making washes: https://archive.kitmaker.net/features/782
 _GOTOTOP