_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A Century of Tank Warfare
RobBye
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 06:45 PM UTC
As armour enthusiasts, we should observe the one hundred year anniversary of tank warfare.

It was September 12, 1916 when the first British Mark I tanks took to the battlefield at the Somme. Though ineffective in that first action, tanks and tank warfare continued to evolve, and it's fair to say tanks still dominate the battlefield a century later.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:01 PM UTC
Don't know if tanks dominate the battlefield but they dominate the modeling field for sure
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:34 PM UTC
Tanks seem to have a mixed record in recent combat. They play almost no role in A'stan, partly because the terrain isn't favorable to armor, and the Taliban are too crafty to fight against an adversary they can't beat (tanks).

And the evolving development of missile technology and hand-held weapons like RPGs make the role of tanks problematical moving forward. State-to-state conflicts like what might break out in Ukraine, would likely involve large amounts of armor. Not sure that China's tanks, for example, would be useful much beyond her borders.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:38 AM UTC
I feel the use of cheap (well, comparatively)drones will change how we think. Imagine a well protected fox hole and a $200 drone delivers a grenade inside of the foxhole clearing the foxhole. A $2000 drone firing a hell-fire missile. These drones have the ability to get into places conventional forces would have a costly time taking. I think of the damage 100 drones would have in a small area. It may turn out that self propelled artillery and drone observers may be a game changer in future conflicts. Electric drones make almost no noise compared to combustion powered drones so they could work well at night. Drones with laser designators. Drones, because pilots are not endangered, can be operated more boldly than manned aircraft. I see that the only practical defense would be the heavy use of ECM and jamming across the entire battlefield. I believe that the drone has the potential to greatly reduce armor's effect on the battlefield.
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:09 AM UTC
Bob,
The first attack was the 15th, not the 12th.
Regards,
Georg
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel the use of cheap (well, comparatively)drones will change how we think. Imagine a well protected fox hole and a $200 drone delivers a grenade inside of the foxhole clearing the foxhole. A $2000 drone firing a hell-fire missile. These drones have the ability to get into places conventional forces would have a costly time taking. I think of the damage 100 drones would have in a small area. It may turn out that self propelled artillery and drone observers may be a game changer in future conflicts. Electric drones make almost no noise compared to combustion powered drones so they could work well at night. Drones with laser designators. Drones, because pilots are not endangered, can be operated more boldly than manned aircraft. I see that the only practical defense would be the heavy use of ECM and jamming across the entire battlefield. I believe that the drone has the potential to greatly reduce armor's effect on the battlefield.

If an AGM-86 could be filled with CBU-97's -
- what if a AGM-86 was instead filled with Mini (drone like) EFPs -
wipe out a tank column from 100's of miles away.

~NBNoG
 _GOTOTOP