_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 Tiger full motion build log
ModelCommander
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hi all. This will be a long build. The aim is to recreate the Tiger tank in 1/35 scale, capturing its realism in both static posture as well as running stance.

The static body shell will be based on the Zvezda kit, somewhat customized. The internal running components will be custom made, combining state of the art technology in 3D printing and machining.

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Is it not possible to use another kit other then the Zvezda ? ie- a Dragon kit
ModelCommander
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
Sure. Dragon or Tamiya kits can be used as well. This particular build will be for an early Tiger. I personally prefer Zvezda for its value and economy.
Removed by original poster on 09/17/16 - 15:02:21 (GMT).
ModelCommander
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all. This will be a long build. The aim is to recreate the Tiger tank in 1/35 scale, capturing its realism in both static posture as well as running stance.

The static body shell will be based on the Zvezda kit, somewhat customized. The internal running components will be custom made, combining state of the art technology in 3D printing and machining.

Interesting project. What will you use as the tracks? Have you done something similar before?

I didn't write comments about the Zvezda kit on my site, so I'll post them here in case they are useful.
It has unrealistic Feifel pipes (too skinny), the wrong kind of loader's periscope, the wrong undercut on the turret front, and crude S mine launchers and tools.

David
ModelCommander
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting project. What will you use as the tracks? Have you done something similar before?

I didn't write comments about the Zvezda kit on my site, so I'll post them here in case they are useful.
It has unrealistic Feifel pipes (too skinny), the wrong kind of loader's periscope, the wrong undercut on the turret front, and crude S mine launchers and tools.

David

Hi. The tracks will be indie-link-metal; either pressure cast Zink alloy, or the softer White metal type.

This is our first attempt at a German Panzer. Our previous builds had been Soviet subjects. i.e.: Our youtube channel showing full motion KV-1

Thanks..
ModelCommander
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:16 AM UTC

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:50 AM UTC
That's quite a project! Very impressive.

Gaz
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi Martin & colleagues,

GREAT project, and the KV1 clips are fantastic, I love the realistic suspension-lurch when it accelerates/decelerates, & good sound. Certainly got my cogs whirring – exhaust smoke’s a problem, looks like you’re using that Smoke fluid for locos e.g. Broadway Ltd imports (?) the glow I could see through the rear was heating it up? It never looks good enough in video or still-shots, I know I’ve tried. Can’t tell how big your exhausts are but possibly if the apertures were narrower the smoke might be forced out more realistically & less whispily?

I guess there’s no room left in the turret for firing the gun convincingly although I’d be happy to share my ballistic tests with you if there was (or maybe could be in the Tiger?) - but the entire turret & gun barrel couldn’t be plastic, it would all have to be all metal and the fuse can only burn for 4 or 5 seconds given the limited space. That aside, I’d also be happy to supply simple/proven IED designs to detonate explosions in your sand base as the AFV drives past if you’re interested.

Is the ultimate aim a KV1 vs Tiger confrontation?
Cheers, will be following this one closely. Tim
ModelCommander
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi. The glow actually is from indicator lights on the PCB. The exhaust doesn't light up at all, and is from custom made fan turbo. The gun fires, and the there are two FPV positions. The gunner and driver each has individual cams for driving and aiming the gun respectively. This has laser battle, not IR, so the "projectile" being a narrow laser beam, you almost had to aim it to hit the target. And yes the gun recoils. Will demonstrate in later videos.

Thanks.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:43 PM UTC
The tracks that you're showing are the later type with raised diagonal ridges. All of these Early Tigers were issued with the flat tracks.

David
ModelCommander
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 02:22 PM UTC
I am more at ease with early hull wearing later tracks than the reverse; as hull tends to survive tracks - yeah? For time-specific historical reenactment or video/photo shoots, this would be more stringently addressed.

Oh this reminds me to point out one important thing: this kit is designed such that it can be disassembled with the aid of just a mini screw driver and mini allen wrench; very little glue used in construction. So wheels, sprockets, torsion bars, tracks, can all be replaced.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC
I'd like to check the alignment of the road wheels and idler. In one photo we can see that the track apparently rides higher on the idler than on the wheels; but in reality it was almost level.

David
 _GOTOTOP