_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Iwata TRN2 or Grex
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 03:20 PM UTC
Anyone using a Iwata TRN2 or Grex Tritium? If so what are your thoughts about it? Likes, dislikes things like that. I'm wanting a trigger grip airbrush but can't decide Iwata or Grex, cost isn't really a concern.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 03:54 PM UTC
According to this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9HS8IUXt2Y
(from 4:20) Iwata TRN2 is a Taiwanese Sparmax GP-35 with different grip assembled in China from Taiwanese components. It all comes to availability in your area after all...
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 06:06 PM UTC
Patrick, I'm a newbie with an air brush and don't know a thing about Iwata AB's. A few months ago I attended a Grex AB demo at the LHS conducted by factory rep, Bryant Dunbar. I got to play around with it, even did panel lines & some cammo on an airplane. I was so impressed that I bought the whole Grex set up package, the Tritium TG3, air compressor and some odds & ends. It comes in one complete package, everything you need. Bottom line is that I am a happy camper.
Good luck with your choice what ever it may be. But practice, practice and practice some more. It will come to you !
Tom
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:02 PM UTC
Hi, I use a TRN-1 with the .35 needle.

Now I spend less paint and have better results than my old Aztek 470.

Maybe its an entry one for "Iwata", but its a very good one.

In the past I have a Badger 150 and one 100 GL. This Iwata its the best of all.

Just my 2 cents and experience.

HTH

Regards from the south
Álvaro
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hi Patrick,

Here is a review I made of the Tritium.

https://archive.kitmaker.net/review/5312

There are other Grex reviews here at KMN, too:
https://archive.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showmaker&makerid=1012

Don't know if this is useful but here's a Sparmax review: https://archive.kitmaker.net/features/7298
Removed by original poster on 09/22/16 - 15:50:07 (GMT).
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
How are the trigger ab as far as cleaning and reassembling ? harder or easier then the standard ab ?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC
Upon my return to the hobby, I took a gamble on the Grex Combo Kit with Tritium TG Airbrush & AC1810 Compressor. Right from the start, I absolutely loved the ergonomics of the trigger-style handle — just feels more natural for my clumsy paws. And besides, two-tone lime green and white was the color of my Uncle Walter’s ’56 Mercury!

I shoot acrylics exclusively, and as far as ease of cleaning, that was a matter of establishing good cleaning habits ... that goes for any airbrush, of course.

PS: Here’s a really useful item to consider adding to the system: Grex G-MAC Micro Air Control Valve

HTH

—mike
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:32 AM UTC
I retired my 3 old airbrushes last winter along with my 30 year old W.R. Brown Speedy compressor, after traveling the world with me it's finally worn out. I'm using my 30 gallon compressor so I'm set there. I should say I'm left handed and my old double action brushes were obviously set designed for righties. I like the fact I can switch which side the paint cup mounts on the Grex, but one of the airbrushes I retired was an old Iwata, still worked well but I want to go to trigger action. Thanks for the input folks, I really appreciate it.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
Well, I purchased a Grex TS3, along with a 10' hose, regulator with water trap, a nice holder for my air brushes and other odds and ends. Running the grex on my big compressor thru 2 regulators with water traps, one on the compressor the other on my paint table is a lot better than my old WR Speedy. No pulses in the air and with such a large tank I can paint for hours without the compressor ever switching on. I'm very pleased with the performance using enamels but I'm switching mostly acrylic paints so that's gonna mean more questions soon.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 12:05 AM UTC
I have both a TRN 1 and a Grex Tritium Trigger. Both are great!!!! Not a huge fan of the Grex needle cap as it falls off alot ( its magnetic) .... but...

TAKE MY ADVICE... GET A HOBBY LOBBY 40% off coupon..... GO TO HOBBY LOBBY, AND BUY THE IWATA TRN 1.... Paid like 106 for mine with the coupon.... the Grex will run you twice that.
 _GOTOTOP