_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Asuka M4A1, good for Normandy?
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi, I used to be a member here but can't remember my user name or password and I no longer have access to the email I used to use so I'm just starting over. I have the Asuka M4A1 (1/35th) kit. I understand that this is essentially the old Tasca kit. I think it's meant to be a late production kit, complete with applique armor, however, it has a very early turret without a loader's hatch. Now I want to make it for Normandy but most of the M4s that I have seen for Normandy have the loader's hatch. So my basic question is will this combination work or should I just make it an early M4, leave off the applique and use the early narrow gunshield?

Just as an aside I have had a couple of Tasca Shermans and I was surprised to find that the new Asuka kits don't come with photo etch (or even injection molded) periscope guards. The old kits did.
treadstone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hello John, the M4A1 was quite common in Normandy, Taska even produced an M4A1 (Late production) which included the Hedge Row cutter.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, I used to be a member here but can't remember my user name or password and I no longer have access to the email I used to use so I'm just starting over. I have the Asuka M4A1 (1/35th) kit. I understand that this is essentially the old Tasca kit. I think it's meant to be a late production kit, complete with applique armor, however, it has a very early turret without a loader's hatch. Now I want to make it for Normandy but most of the M4s that I have seen for Normandy have the loader's hatch. So my basic question is will this combination work or should I just make it an early M4, leave off the applique and use the early narrow gunshield?

Just as an aside I have had a couple of Tasca Shermans and I was surprised to find that the new Asuka kits don't come with photo etch (or even injection molded) periscope guards. The old kits did.

Hi, and Welcome Back!

You should be good to go, despite the lack of a Loader's Hatch in your Early M4A1(75)'s Turret. Many of these older -A1s with the single Turret Hatch survived til the end of the war. Just remember that most US Shermans slated for the Normandy Invasion had by this time been "upgraded" with "supplemental armor", i.e, the armor applique plates which were welded onto the fronts of the Drivers' Hoods, TWO armor plates on the right side of the Upper Hull, and ONE armor plate on the left side of the Upper Hull. Check your references for the positions- There are enough of these pictured in books and online. These "upgrades" are generally referred to as "Reman.", "Re-man", or "Remanufactured", in case you weren't aware...

Many of the earlier US 75mm Shermans also received an odd-shaped, (two-sections which butted together in some cases), curved armor plate, which was welded to the RIGHT FRONT LOWER QUARTER of the Turret, to provide improved ballistic protection for the Gunner, as part of the "Re-man upgrade". Some earlier M4s and M4A1s also received the new "Single-piece" Transmission Case, which replaced the 3-piece Case. Most earlier Shermans also received the "late" "full-length" M34A1 main Gun Mantlet, also as a part of the general "Re-man"...

Since you've got the applique armor plates in your kit, you shouldn't have any problems in depicting your Sherman as serving during and after the Normandy Invasion, and also way beyond...

Your ASUKA Sherman, should also include your choices of the 3-piece or single-piece Transmission Case, Early "Manufactured Sprockets" or "Stamped Sprockets", "Spoked Manufactured/Welded Road Wheels & Rear Idlers" or "Stamped Road Wheels & Rear Idlers", AND the M34A1 Main Gun Mantlet. NOT ALL earlier US Shermans automatically received the newer "stamped" Sprockets, Road Wheels & Rear Idlers"- These were generally replaced on an "as-needed" basis, so it IS possible for you to build your -A1 with an "orphan" "manufactured/welded", or "stamped" Sprocket, or Rear Idler, (or both), and a "stamped" or "spoked" Road Wheel or two thrown into the bargain. Just to add to the mix, it's also OK to substitute one or two of your Road Wheels with a "late-style", "dished" (concave), "Big-bearing" Road Wheel, as a "Field-repair", which could add a little bit of "interest" into your build. The choice is yours. I wouldn't get too hung up on the Road Wheels; many US Shermans never had to have their Road Wheels replaced at all, except in the major-maintenance cycle. Most "Re-mans" went through the entire gamut of parts, and others only received the "supplemental armor plates" in their "upgrade". Quite a few earlier US Shermans, both M4s and M4A1s, didn't get their "Re-mans" until the Normandy campaign was almost over with, but they DID get them...

My advice- Keep it simple and don't get too elaborate. Pick a "Normandy" US M4A1 out of a book or online, and stick with that. Stowage: just remember that US Tankers, since time immemorial, are PACK RATS, and they will pile any necessary item and/or "creature-comfort" that they can lay their hands on, onto their vehicle, so it's entirely within reality to "pile it on". Some "stowage" was pretty outlandish- beach umbrellas, musical instruments, chamber pots, buckets, YOU NAME IT! I remember seeing a photo somewhere in a book, of a US Sherman with a BATHTUB tied down on the Rear Deck!

Tracks: You can go either way- Most US Shermans in Normandy wore either the T51 Rubber Block or T48 Rubber Chevron Tracks- Your choice; BOTH styles were scene even in the same Platoon. There ARE EXCEPTIONS, of course, as there are with everything else that goes on in the world...

Have FUN, and don't hesitate to ask questions- Most of us will be more than happy to oblige!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 04:36 PM UTC
Tasca was peculiar with their PE assignment. The Firefly VC was their first kit and it came with PE light guards. I don't think many of the follow on kits had them, if at all.

Dennis is correct though -- this is your best option for a Normandy era M4A1.

One problem I've had with their kits is the bottom bolt strip that joins the nose piece with the hull bottom (either parts C43 or J24). Perhaps it's something I've done incorrectly but it gives me fit issues. You can omit this strip and it doesn't show and for me, gives me the right fit.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:00 PM UTC
Were there any camouflaged Shermans during the Normandy campaign?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Were there any camouflaged Shermans during the Normandy campaign?

I believe a number of British and Commonwealth Shermans were camouflaged in the British "Cloud", or "Mickey Mouse"-patterns of Black over the original paint... Camo on US Shermans and other American Armor didn't come til late in, or after the Normandy Campaign...

What do you say, Roy? I think it was during "Operation Cobra", also known as the "Breakout", out of the Normandy "Bocage", or Hedgerows, or just prior, that some American Units started applying broad Black wavy-pattern stripes on their Armor..?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tasca was peculiar with their PE assignment. The Firefly VC was their first kit and it came with PE light guards. I don't think many of the follow on kits had them, if at all.

Dennis is correct though -- this is your best option for a Normandy era M4A1.

One problem I've had with their kits is the bottom bolt strip that joins the nose piece with the hull bottom (either parts C43 or J24). Perhaps it's something I've done incorrectly but it gives me fit issues. You can omit this strip and it doesn't show and for me, gives me the right fit.

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Roy!

BTW- I do the same thing on my ASUKA/TASCA Shermans as you do- It's an easy "fix", and once the model is done, this isn't noticeable until you look at the bottom of the Tank...
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC
Roy i have had the same problem with that bolt strip interfering with the rest of the transmission housing join.Not just you.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC
Some US tanks in Normandy had wide swaths of black camouflage. The 4AD liberally used mud on their tanks.

Unfortunately Dennis' citation of black clouds and mickey mouse don't appear on any photographed UK/Commonwealth Shermans in Normandy -- but for softskins and some other AFVs.

While British Shermans in Africa and the MTO have lots of painted camo schemes, they're rare as hens teeth in NWE.

@Bob: Thanks for confirming that to me. I don't think I'd ever heard of anyone else having that problem. While I still may be nuts, this problem with the bolt strip isn't evidence of it! lol
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some US tanks in Normandy had wide swaths of black camouflage. The 4AD liberally used mud on their tanks.

Unfortunately Dennis' citation of black clouds and mickey mouse don't appear on any photographed UK/Commonwealth Shermans in Normandy -- but for softskins and some other AFVs.

While British Shermans in Africa and the MTO have lots of painted camo schemes, they're rare as hens teeth in NWE.

Thanks, very useful! Meantime, I've managed to find this (an M4A3 105 though...): http://www.precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/#/m4a3-105mm-sherman/4559215006

Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:24 PM UTC
Thanks all, glad to be back. As regards the black waves, IIRC the 2nd and 3rd Armored did quite a lot of them, I think that it was a 12th Army Group directive. However like most such directives it's application seems far from universal. And if it was from an AG directive then it probably didn't start until 12th AG became operational when 3rd Army was activated in July but that's just speculation on my part.
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks, very useful! Meantime, I've managed to find this (an M4A3 105 though...): http://www.precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/#/m4a3-105mm-sherman/4559215006

Was the M4A3 105 operational in time for Cobra? My understanding is that for ease of logistics American Shermans in Normandy were all M4s or M4A1s. I think that the M4A3 75s didn't start appearing until late August/September 1944.
Removed by original poster on 09/30/16 - 16:48:36 (GMT).
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Was the M4A3 105 operational in time for Cobra? My understanding is that for ease of logistics American Shermans in Normandy were all M4s or M4A1s. I think that the M4A3 75s didn't start appearing until late August/September 1944.

Hmmm, no idea, but it is a camouflaged Sherman in France (probably not in Normandy though...) : http://www.precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/#/m4a3-105mm-sherman/4559215006
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:03 PM UTC
There were no M4A3 (105)s in Normandy or the Cobra breakout in August. Regardless of what the modeler states, it's simply impossible. Yes, to M4 (105)s though.

The M4A3 (105) was first delivered in Sept '44. That model builder clearly used as his inspiration the well known picture of the 4AD M4 (105) during the Cobra operation and is pictured on the box art of DML's kit 6548. Funny thing is that M4 (105) and other M4s of the 4AD are in his collection of pics.

But none are M4A3s
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There were no M4A3 (105)s in Normandy or the Cobra breakout in August. Regardless of what the modeler states, it's simply impossible. Yes, to M4 (105)s though.

The M4A3 (105) was first delivered in Sept '44. That model builder clearly used as his inspiration the well known picture of the 4AD M4 (105) during the Cobra operation and is pictured on the box art of DML's kit 6548. Funny thing is that M4 (105) and other M4s of the 4AD are in his collection of pics.

But none are M4A3s

Thanks, I thought so. A few years back I did Dragon's M4as a 4th Armored Tank from the Battle of Arracourt in September of 1944 and at the time my research showed that the 4th had few if any M4A3 at that time.
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 09:46 AM UTC
Okay, upon closer inspection I do have the cheek armor applique for the turret so I feel better now. True I did have to buy a p/e set but that's life.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Bob: Thanks for confirming that to me. I don't think I'd ever heard of anyone else having that problem. While I still may be nuts, this problem with the bolt strip isn't evidence of it! lol

Roy's right about the British and Commonwealth Shermans not having the Black "Cloud" or "Mickey Mouse" camo, and correct in regards to British and Commonwealth "Soft-skins"- I went back to my references yesterday and checked again. Couldn't find ONE!
 _GOTOTOP