Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter 1/16 KT is it worth it?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC
I have been looking at some of the large scale kits lately. Ruled out the Hobbyboss Tiger as the review showed it to be majorly inaccurate. Looked at the Trumpeter KT ( I like the interior). Have not found any reviews of the kit. A nice build log by Matt. I dont want to go into the detail he did. So i was wondering what all is wrong enough to require replacing or aftermarket? Kit looked like it would have everything I would need in it. Replacement barrel is $60 so after investing $300 I may be loath to drop several hundred more to get kit up to snuff. Appreciate any info or if someone knows of a review to direct me there
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:18 PM UTC
If you must have 1/16, I can't say. I'm waiting on the Meng 1/35. The only 1/16 kit I ever built was Panda's Pz 38t; a decent kit but no improvement over Dragon's 1/35.
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hey there!
I agree with Johhar.
My only 1:16 kit is Meng's FT-17 I am building now, and I have to say that it is not the improvement I looked for against 1:35 models.
More paint to use but datail, accuracy and such is the same than 1:35.
Maybe it's me, but I don't think I'll do a 1:16 model again.
Hope it helps
ciao
Edo
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:19 PM UTC
I'm building Trumpeter's 1/16 Panzer IV J right now and haven't had this much modeling fun in a long time.

The box is huge, it has over 2,000 pieces, and it will provide months of modeling fun. In some areas, detail is definitely superior to a 1/35 kit. In others, not as much.

The fact that it has a full interior alone makes it an interesting and enjoyable build, and you can't escape the raw size of the thing.

If your eye is used to 1:35 subjects, the 1:16 Panzer IV will look HUGE. I mean HUGE.

Every armor modeler should build at least one 1:16 kit and see for himself what he thinks.

I'm already planning to get maybe another 1:16 Panzer IV, definitely the Trumpeter Königstiger, and probably will end up with the new Jagdtiger as well.

If Trumpeter brings out the announced Panther G, I'll have one of those too.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 09:43 AM UTC
I have both Trumpeter's 1/16 King Tiger and Panzer IV J and I am impressed by both. The boxes are huge, the part count high and the detail extraordinary. Most of the time I'm not much of a rivet counter so I'm a little more forgiving on accuracy but the level of detail will blow your mind. The only thing missing from the KT is a metal barrel but since you get your choice of turrets I suppose it would be greedy to want different metal barrels for each one. Also a lack of zimmerit could be considered a minus but at this scale applying your own would be much easier. As for value, that's up to you. Do you want a challenging monstrosity that will take you a while to build and give you hours, maybe weeks, months or years of enjoyment than get one. I'm getting the Aber aftermarket barrel and maybe aftermarket zimmerit. But I am looking forward to building this thing.
TigerFan182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC
The exterior is pretty well done. Spend a little time improving the soft weld detail, add some casting/surface textures, some PE and a metal barrel and you will have a stunning exterior model. If it is the interior that is drawing you to this kit and you have been looking at more detailed builds, I cannot help but think you may be disappointed when you see just how basic most of the interior is OOB. It is littered with pin marks that need to be filled, has some mold alignment issues, flash and some sink marks. The decals have issues and all of the interior stenciling is missing. Trumpeter forgot a huge amount of detail, and what is provided is often simplified. There are significant accuracy issues like the engine bay based on a Panther G, ammo racks that are all wrong and even one of the radios is molded upside down.

Build it with care and give it a good paint job and you will have a nice OOB model but you may feel a little short changed. This kit’s true value (to me at least) is the platform it gives you to build on. The scope for added detail is where 1/16 scale excels but unfortunately, it can also destroy your wallet!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC
Yeah, this kit could nickle and dime you to death. Here's a link for resin parts from AFV Modeller to help correct some of the flaws with both the Panzer IV and the KT. The magazine also did a several year cover of a unbelievable build of the kits. So if you want to go overboard you can. If you want to build a great kit OOB you can. Or you can shoot for the middle (my plan) and test yourself and your patients. But I found out that when I've gone overboard in the past the build becomes tedious and no longer any fun.

http://shop.afvmodeller.com/customer/home.php?cat=387
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thank you Matthew and Patrick. Very very useful information. I can fabricate some parts to enhance teh detail. Fix a bit here and there. Realizing that not all the detail will be able to be seen may help. I am looking to pick up both the new Takom offerings, so i will get an idea of what all the interior entails and maybe see if and when I want to pick this beast up. LOL This is one of my "retirement" kits. One i plan to build in a few years after i retire and resettle. LOL Have the Trumpeter 1/200 Iowa, Bismarck, and Arizona. As well as a 72nd scale Type IX sub in the stash. So big kits are very welcome.
 _GOTOTOP