_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya M40 SPG review....
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 10:25 AM UTC
... on AMPS site.

http://amps-armor.org/reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=3854&Type=FL

Another winner from Big T and a musthave for me.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... on AMPS site.

http://amps-armor.org/reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=3854&Type=FL

Another winner from Big T and a musthave for me.

Hi, Hermann! THANKS MUCH for the "heads-up"!!!

Nice Review, by James Wechsler, over on AMPS!

I kind of balk at the price, though... $93 bucks RETAIL- Aside of Tractor/Trailer-type kits, 1/35 "single vehicle" models are edging ever closer to that magic "Century-Mark"...

The "up" side is that this kit by TAMIYA is beautifully detailed, and you get an Artillery Crew that is in the process of getting another Shell "On the WAAAYYY!!!" I expect that prices will no doubt be lower once the big hobby houses get the new M40s on their shelves. TAMIYA QUALITY is legendary among modellers, (myself, included), and in looking the beautifully-molded parts over on the AMPS site, I'm sure that TAMIYA will reap the benefits of having released another "WINNER"!!!

Personally, I'll wait a while until the prices settle down before I buy mine, but this one will be a definite "buy" for me, especially after having sampled TAMIYA's latest 1/35 M4A3E8 HVSS(76) "Easy Eight" kit! No doubt about it, the last few 1/35 TAMIYA kits have been "WINNERS" in their own right! I wonder what their next 1/35 effort will be?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
Be nice if T released the crew figs as a figure set. Looks like they could be used on other large caliber US guns/howitzers. Maybe combined with MB's set of US gun crew, too.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 08:24 PM UTC
Very nice,so this is definitely new tool ? If so I will have to have one,maybe not at $93.00,I'd be surprised if it goes for that much,but maybe all those figures are bumping it up.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:42 PM UTC
Yup, "all-new" molds, sounds like simplified, soft details of a typical Tamiya kit too.

Quoted Text

In addition, Tamiya continues to represent grab handles as solid ‘fins’ which is too bad since they could easily have molded separate handles. Lastly, it should be noted that the pioneer tools are really well molded but lack the tie down straps...

I'll stick with the AFV Club version. Even with correcting the barrel and swapping the tracks, I think it is still a much nicer, finer detailed kit.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 10:35 PM UTC
Didn't AFV Club also mould the side tie downs as solid?
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
Sometime after Vietnam, the Army changed the shape of the 155mm HE round. Not by a lot, but they look different. They went with a secant ogive like the older 175 gun used. In plain words the reduced the radius of the ogive; making it appear be almost strait. The benefit is an increased ballistic co-efficient, and thus having a flatter trajectory and longer range (not a great amount). They also revised the boat tail at the base, but not quite as radical as the 175 round. Could be wrong, but there also is a slight difference between the two in the strait part.

The Tamiya rounds look like the late rounds to me. Yet they look very nice. Thought the projo's with the nose plugs were exceptional.

I've shot 155mm rounds made as early as 1944 & 1945, and they were identical to what we used in 1968. Yet I've seen the stuff the National Guard is using now days.

gary
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you mean the tiny footman loops on the sides, yes. They are only about 1mm long and I have never seen them as separate parts in a 1/35 plastic kit. The review on the Tamiya M40 is talking about the grab handles on the hatches and other opening panels. These should be separate pieces, not molded on.

If you like Tamiya, great. I am not a big fan of how they cut corners and skimp on details, yet still command premium prices for their kits. Yes, they fall together with a shake of the box, but they are not normally well detailed. I would rather spend some extra build time with more detailed parts, even if they are a little more challenging to build.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you mean the tiny footman loops on the sides, yes. They are only about 1mm long and I have never seen them as separate parts in a 1/35 plastic kit. The review on the Tamiya M40 is talking about the grab handles on the hatches and other opening panels. These should be separate pieces, not molded on.

If you like Tamiya, great. I am not a big fan of how they cut corners and skimp on details, yet still command premium prices for their kits. Yes, they fall together with a shake of the box, but they are not normally well detailed. I would rather spend some extra build time with more detailed parts, even if they are a little more challenging to build,

Hi, Gino!

Maybe, since you bring up the AFV CLUB M40, and your preference for it over the TAMIYA kit, there should be a side-by-side "camparo-build" of the two, pointing out the various pros & cons of each kit. You're pretty darned knowledgeable about US AFVs, so maybe you'd be the right guy for the job. I THOUGHT that you, or someone else, had made a comment in the earlier thread when the TAMIYA M40 was first announced, that you didn't think that the AFV CLUB M40 was so great..? Or maybe that was Frenchy..? I don't remember, exactly...
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:50 PM UTC
Anyone know what Aitas Ankies refers to?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:50 PM UTC
No, it wasn't me who said anything about the AFV Club kit being bad. I really like it and think it is a great kit. Sorry, I won't be doing a side-by-side build on it. I already have built two of the AFV Club kits; an M40 and an M43 conversion.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No, it wasn't me who said anything about the AFV Club kit being bad. I really it and think it is a great kit. Sorry, I won't be doing a side-by-side build on it. I already have built two of the AFV Club kits; an M40 and an M43 conversion.

M43- Is that the 203mm (8-inch) Howitzer Motor Carriage..? NIIICE! I'd love to see pics!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:12 PM UTC
Here is the M40 build.

And the M43 8" build.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is the M40 build.

And the M43 8" build.

VERY NICE, Gino! THANKS!!!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC
Bob Carvo: Aities Ankies was the nickname of one of the M40s of the A Battery, 937th Field Artillery Battalion (FAB) in Korea; Arkansas Nat'l Guard. A unit nicknamed the "Arkansas Long Toms"

Read this late veteran's memoirs:

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/memoirs/clark_jimmie/index.htm

There's a list of other named vehicles in the article.

I reached out to Korean War veterans of the 937th. One sent me some winter pictures of Bunker Buster during a firing mission.

I also reached out to veterans of another Korean War M40 unit, the 204th FAB. The 204th had the M40 with the colorful Dragon decal in the AFV Club kit. One of the 204th medical officers said: "I remember the particular 155 you referred to with the colorful dragon painted on its side along with the inscription, 'my ass is dragging'. That phrase was removed on the suggestion of General Van Fleet who had dropped by during action around Sniper Ridge in early November ,1952. Reportedly, he did not think it was a proper label."
PvtMutt
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 614 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 11:11 PM UTC

Tony lee
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2016 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you like Tamiya, great. I am not a big fan of how they cut corners and skimp on details, yet still command premium prices for their kits. Yes, they fall together with a shake of the box, but they are not normally well detailed. I would rather spend some extra build time with more detailed parts, even if they are a little more challenging to build,

The moulded on handles are completly fine by my standards. Just drill/carve them out or simply slice them off and replace with some wire, and they look drastically better after 5 minutes works.

Besides, you should be thankfull you can at least buy this kit in your country. When Tamiya have gone to all the work shipping these kits 5,000+ miles to a much smaller market, premium is the only price they can realistically charge to make a worthwhilre profit.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:34 PM UTC
What would it take to make the M40 into an M43? Just the 8 inch barrel and the ammo stowage? All that seem an easy task for the AM companies.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:47 PM UTC
I'll put that one on my wish list; I don't have any Korean War armor; might be a nice change of pace; maybe I'll run to the nearest Hobby Lobby and grab the Tamiya Walker Bulldog too; they inevitably seem to have one or two in stock at their stores; anyway, nice kit for a nice change of pace from the WW2 stuff I usually do
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 07:56 PM UTC
@Brian Channel: The M41 Walker Bulldog was not a Korean era vehicle -- but afterward. Know that the Tamiya version is typical of early 70s molding and design. It's far eclipsed by the AFV Club offerings. They aren't that expensive and are modern tooled/modern designed kits -- if that's your thing.
Mystic9700
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 01:00 AM UTC
Where did you get that photo? From a book?
 _GOTOTOP