_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint Effect
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 01:17 AM UTC
Afternoon all!
I was wondering if anyone could help me simulate these particular effects on a CM11 tank.

The above and below photos both show a good amount of heavy gravel dust accumulation on the tracks/wheels. Also, below, there's a good amount of sun bleaching on the upper hull and turret. Is there a method or product that I could use to simulate these effects? I'm looking more for acrylic/enamel based products, not pure pigments.

I've seen filters used to generate similar effects, but is it possible to use a grey filter to create a dusty, worn appearence as well?

Thanks for you help!
Happy Modelling
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC
I am no expert, they are publishing books of fantastic models and making mega bucks. BUT I do not know of any resource that gives a blow by blow account to obtain a perfect model. It is something you see grow right in front of your eyes and there is many a good model ruined as soon as the paint brush is applied. My failing is weathering which usually goes.. bit more..bit more..bit more..too much. You need an old kit and a selection of weathering materials, even dried garden mud works, and practice. No shame in washing of the effects you do not like. Read the books, how toos and videos but it's the doing that matters......
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi Alan,
For the bleached colour effect, I would airbrush lighter shades of the colour over the base.

Another option is using small dots of oil paint of lighter shades as well, and blend them using a brush moistened in thinner (see Michael Rinaldi OPR technique).

As for the dirt, you may consider the latest Vallejo products:
http://armorama.com/news/22987
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:11 AM UTC
The proper NATO black is not black but more of a sun faded black. Making sure you use the correct shades for NATO colors is the first step.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

This would need testing on something that didn’t matter first;

That Nato black or whatever it is reminds me of Tamiya XF85 Rubber black (enamel), it has a slight bluish tinge to it and of course flat/matt. I’d try two different ways of getting the “bloom” onto it – one is using Tamiya X-21 Flat base in a very dilute solution, yes that’s water-based but it’ll cling to the matt surface of the enamel by gently scrubbing it in with a paintbrush, and you’d get a patchy effect impossible with an airbrush.

The other way would be to scrape some fine powder off a stick of pastel chalk (not white but a light/mid-grey) with a modeling scalpel, and sparingly scrub that onto the black with a soft brush – it’s easier to control because if you overdo it just keep on scrubbing until it fades more.

I also use lots of brownish pastel powders for track dust, it’s surprising how tenaciously it clings & looks great.

Cheers, Tim
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC
You can also use a very heavily diluted paint to airbrush an evenly dispersed layer of fine dust. Test first on some scrap though. When it has dried you can add other effects too, like stronger dust sediments in creases by using pigments, pastels etc.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC
For fading, you may want to try Testors CreateFX white and grey stains. It looks like you can achieve the effect you are looking for, with an airbrush. Like others have said, it is trial and error. You don't really need a test kit. Grab some cheap styrene sheet and practice on it.
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
Italian firm 'True Earth' do a couple of faded paint effects. I have used them a couple of times but to my eye the effect is 'chalky'....
 _GOTOTOP