_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Can I Get Away With This?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:42 AM UTC
I've searched the internet and can find no agreement on what British SCC-15 is supposed to be precisely. I ask because I have a Korean War Churchill Crocodile to paint, and I was considering using Tamiya XF-5 Olive Drab. Yes, it's the American color, but it will be in a diorama with no American soldiers or vehicles.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:53 AM UTC
I used Ammo by Mig SCC-15, but this is the mix, from the internet, that I have used in the past.

5pts XF61 + 2pts XF62 + 2pts XF3. This is fraction darker than the standard so a wee touch more XF3 won't hurt. Then allow for scale effect.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 12:42 PM UTC
Look for Mike Starmer's posts on ML, in which he suggests mixes. Personally I would ascribe far more credibility to those than the efforts of some pain manufacturers whose record of accuracy is demonstrably variable.

I appreciate that matching paint colours to variable originals is challenging but Mike works from original standards so at least his mixes should be a good starting point.

You can 'get away with' almost anything in terms of colour matches going by some of the winners I have seen in some competitions but it really comes down to the standards of whoever you are trying to satisfy - that may be yourself or it may be someone else.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 10:05 PM UTC
That's the problem. I've mixed and sprayed colors before, but only fir projects such as paving stones where I didn't have to worry about colors matching!
 _GOTOTOP