_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AAVP 7a1 Ram/RS stowage question??
The_King
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 723 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 03:11 PM UTC

Hi to all,

Normally I like to build ww2 models but nowadays as a change Im busy with Marine AAVP 7a1 Ram/RS. The kit number is 82416 from Hobby Boss. Im searching forums but I got confused as I read as forums.

I have two questions. I will try to make it simple..

1. I want to paint the model to standart Nato camo with yellow armor. Is it possiple to paint the kit as I mentioned above and not to use any decal on it? (kit has one profile but Im not sure which year it belongs)

2. What kind of stowage do I need to use? There are big stowage sets and some backpack sets. I liked especially legend 1241 set very much. Or is there any back pack set you advise?

Im confused very much about choosing the painting profile and correct equipment on it..

jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi to all,

Normally I like to build ww2 models but nowadays as a change Im busy with Marine AAVP 7a1 Ram/RS. The kit number is 82416 from Hobby Boss. Im searching forums but I got confused as I read as forums.

I have two questions. I will try to make it simple..

1. I want to paint the model to standart Nato camo with yellow armor. Is it possiple to paint the kit as I mentioned above and not to use any decal on it? (kit has one profile but Im not sure which year it belongs)

Hi

Yes you can paint the AAVP7a1 RAM/RS as NATO 3 Colour (Tamiya set is good) with Sand EEAK add-on armour.
Plenty of internet pics with that combination.

Can't answer question about specific sets to use, but many here will answer...
The_King
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 03:30 PM UTC

Thanks for the answer John.

I know it is painted nato camo + yellow armor. There are real photos. Here what I want to know is, if paint like that, do i have to use any plate or divisonal markings on it or not?

white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:20 PM UTC
I can help with the stowage question. It would depend on what time frame you are planning on depicting, MOLLE II packs 2003 to about mid 2005; ILBE after mid/late 2005. You're safe in using the Legends LF1241 set, they also make the ILBE packs in small (4 packs) sets. Go easy on the cases of soda if you add any at all, from experience we carried lots of bottled water and MRE's.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:34 PM UTC
As to markings, at a minimum, there will be a USMC serial number on the hull somewhere. There may also be a "speed number" used strictly for vehicle ID. This "speed number" is usually a letter and number combo, such as A14, B25, etc.

Here are some examples.

Looks like speed number on sides of front armor plates on this version, which sounds like just what you want to model.

USMC Serial number and speed number on bow, speed number also on sides of armor.

Speed number on sides.

USMC serial number on rear ramp.

Speed number on bow and on sides.

Speed number on turret and hull sides.

The_King
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC

@John, thanks very much for to stowage help.

As far as I undertand, if I buy this stowage set, I will have options to depict a vehicle from Iraqi Freedom and a vehicle from Iraq present day..Right?

@Gino, thanks for the photos.

Unfortunately Hobbyboss doesnt have any serial number or any sign for the nato+yellow profile. There is only "1" decal. Is there any decal you know about these serial number? or any option to finish the vehicle without any decal on it??
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC
Echelon makes a decal set for USMC Abrams in OIF that has green and black USMC serial numbers and a bunch of other markings you could use on them. They are reviewed here at Armorama.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Echelon makes a decal set for USMC Abrams in OIF that has green and black USMC serial numbers and a bunch of other markings you could use on them. They are reviewed here at Armorama.

AGREE! ECHELON makes a VERY NICE selection of OIF & NATO decal sets for virtually every contemporary US/Allied vehicle-type, plus a whole boat-load of decals for other eras, nations, and conflicts. I like to use ECHELON decals and ARCHER dry transfers for all my 1/35 stuff!
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:49 PM UTC
I can throw in my 2cent.
As far as the serial numbers, there are two painted on exterior of the hull. One on the bow and one on the ramp. The number on the bow typically gets painted over due to application of tac marks – what Gino referred to as speed numbers. Serial numbers for AAVs come in to ranges, they will either be USMC 522xxx or USMC 523xxx.
The tac numbers, which you can find applied in various locations on AAVs of different Battalions and different Companies although they are supposed to conform to the AAV COMMON SOP BnO P3000.1F. Tac numbers are broken down into four parts, Battalion – Company – Platoon – vehicle. Thus 3A101 would indicate an AAV of Third Assault Amphibian Battalion (3), Alpha Company (A), first platoon (1), vehicle 1 (01). The TE for a line AA platoon is 12 AAVs, so the vehicle # could range from 01 to 12. Tac marks are located on bow, aft, port, stbd and outer (stbd) turret. Of course as with everything this is not gospel and you will find plenty of diversions from this “rule.” You get into some goofy stuff when you start talking detachments, MPF, field markings or non-fleet units.
Unless the vehicle was painted with EAAK mounted, which typically only occurs for MPF loads, the EAAK tends to be a mess of whatever panel gets pulled from the box and placed where it will fit with disregard for any camo pattern. Mounting EAAK is only slightly more pleasurable than getting punched in the nose. Panels “fit” in specific locations on the hull and there is a lot of wiggle room to really make it incredibly difficult if you torque down a bolt too soon and/or out of sequence. Amusingly enough all of the EAAK panels begin with the identification number 666xxxxxx.
The load or stowage depends largely on who the AA platoon is supporting. I’ve had my tractor filled with nearly every conceivable ammunition for some loads, water (or MREs) from deck to overhead for others and I’ve had it with almost nothing except sweaty pissed off grunts. A load will depend on the infantry. What is carried in support of an infantry squad will be slightly different than a mortar platoon or heavy weapons platoon. In a purely logistics role you can load up all the chow, water and ammo that can fit. If on a simple Company or Platoon training evolution there is very little loaded aboard an AAV. It will be the crew’s gear which will be the MOLLE per person and maybe a cooler. If land ops training a crew will be two or three Marines, if water ops then the crew is a minimum of three. Couple AAVs will have one or two more bodies – Corpsman (1 per plt), comm guy (1 per plt), and mechanic (two or three per platoon). MREs were typically carried on Gunny’s tractor to keep grubby little paws from tearing into chow and being rat-f’d or depleted by the second day of training. Ammo is never carried on tractors for training – that is staged or delivered at the range. A small exception of when there is movement during a training evolution such as CAX exists but it is minimal movement.

Some pics from my time -

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/deattilio/library/Amtracs/UDP
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/deattilio/library/Amtracs/Iraq
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/deattilio/library/Amtracs/3D%20AA%20BN

The_King
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC

I will check Echelon decal. Thanks for the advise.

@Daniel, thanks for the detailed explanation.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:23 PM UTC
The MOLLE II packs that come in the stowage set were replaced some time around mid-2005 by the ILBE (Improved Load Bearing Equipment) pack system due to complaints about the MOLLE II's frame not being durable enough. The MOLLE system would be correct for the initial push to Baghdad in 2003, both battles of Fallujah in 2004, and into mid/late 2005. I turned in my MOLLE II packs in December 2005 when we were preparing to deploy to Fallujah in the spring of 2006. That set will be correct for a small window of time between 2003-2005. You'll need to source the ILBE packs for anything after 2005.
The_King
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC

Thanks once again John.
 _GOTOTOP