_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Master Box: WWI Cavalry
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:42 AM UTC

Master Box presents a new figure box with two soldiers from the First World War, including their horses.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:51 AM UTC
Very interesting subject, although, as has been noted previously, not necessarily 100% accurate. But certainly dynamic! As soon as these hit the LHS shelf I will grab one (or two) up.

As this is supposed to be very early in the war, should the Brit be wearing a cap instead of a helmet?
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:09 AM UTC
You would have thought so as steel helmets weren't introduced till 1916 and by that time cavalry clashes were a thing of the past. Nice idea though and the head's easily enough swapped. I'd have preferred the British horseman to be winning though :-)
ColDunwerk
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:35 AM UTC
The British cavalryman mounted on the white horse in picture 3 is wearing the early service cap, rather than a helmet. It appears that sprue parts A19 and A20 offer the alternate headgear choices.
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC
Another great set to add to the collection. " I'd have preferred the British horseman to be winning though " I think it will depend on the final positioning as to who will be " winning "
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 06:06 AM UTC
That is a cool looking set.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very interesting subject, although, as has been noted previously, not necessarily 100% accurate. But certainly dynamic! As soon as these hit the LHS shelf I will grab one (or two) up.

As this is supposed to be very early in the war, should the Brit be wearing a cap instead of a helmet?

Actually, I think the figures are accurate-- for early in the war--1914, as the British Cavalryman comes with the early soft cap too, however, as some one mentioned earlier, the British steel helmet was not adopted until 1916. An interesting side note
Is that Cavalry were active on both sides until the armistice in November 1918, and were frequently used as a type of mobile security force intended to protect the rear areas or act as exploitation forces after a breakthrough. The Germans used Cavalry (although not uniformed as the above dressed Hussar) to round up British forces scattered far ahead during the battle of Cambrai in 1917, and at the same time, the British planned to follow up part of the advance at Cambrai with Cavalry (it was planned, but didn't really happen) So, with the exception of the German Hussar's uniform, this set could depict actions during or after 1914.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:08 PM UTC
Looking at the parts and instructions it probably would be pretty easy to remove the braids on the German Hussar's jacket and give him a helmet to get him somewhat more accurate for later in the war.

But the Hussars might have held onto their braided jackets just because of their unit identity especially the Black Hussars.

And the hussar uniform could be adapted to make an Austrian.

I'm hoping for follow up sets with dramatically posed French and Russian cavalry. Maybe a curiassier and an Uhlan.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at the parts and instructions it probably would be pretty easy to remove the braids on the German Hussar's jacket and give him a helmet to get him somewhat more accurate for later in the war.

But the Hussars might have held onto their braided jackets just because of their unit identity especially the Black Hussars.

I'm hoping for follow up sets with dramatically posed French and Russian cavalry. Maybe a curiassier and an Uhlan.

Hey, Guys!

You know, if one has good Figure-building/conversion skills, the German Hussar could be converted, slightly re-posed and re-sculpted to make a pre-war and early WWII POLISH LANCER, 1920s-1939... Quite a few years ago, WARRIORS made a BEAUTIFUL set of four resin 1939 Polish Lancers in a "Charge!" vignette, with absolutely beautiful details and poses. I wonder what happened to the molds..?

Wish someone would re-open that scenario in 1/35 or 54mm...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey, Guys!

You know, if one has good Figure-building/conversion skills, the German Hussar could be converted, slightly re-posed and re-sculpted to make a pre-war and early WWII POLISH LANCER, 1920s-1939... Quite a few years ago, WARRIORS made a BEAUTIFUL set of four resin 1939 Polish Lancers in a "Charge!" vignette, with absolutely beautiful details and poses. I wonder what happened to the molds..?

Let's see get rid of the braids and hussar busby, add French Adrian helmet, modify German gear to Polish version, source an arm to allow him to carry a lance...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey, Guys!

Let's see get rid of the braids and hussar busby, add French Adrian helmet, modify German gear to Polish version, source an arm to allow him to carry a lance...

Hi, Steve!

YES!!! We're on the same wave-length!

A few notes-

Regarding the WWI-style German "gear": My Dad served in the "pre-WWII and 1939 Polish Cavalry and Horse-Artillery, and at the time of his capture by the Germans, he and his men were outfitted with WWI German-made gear, made both in Black and Light Brown leather, (The Light Brown Leather was reserved for Officers and senior NCOs), so one really wouldn't have to change much, in that respect. As far as the Headgear is concerned, the units that Dad served in never received the French "Adrian" Helmets; rather, they received steel helmets that were of Polish-manufacture, which had a much more "conventional", rounded shape. That's NOT to say that Polish Army Troops were never issued the French "Adrian" Helmets; many were, just not all of them...

At the time of his capture, he and his men had by that time discarded their steel helmets, which they all felt were too heavy, too hot, and too uncomfortable. Instead, they were much more in favor of wearing their traditional Polish square-topped wool Service Caps, known as the "Rogatywka", which the Polish Army still wears today. One could also source several different HORNET WWII Polish Heads and Head sets wearing the Rogatywka, in lieu of the kit-supplied German "Black Hussar" Heads with Busbies. If one didn't want to model a Polish Lancer, it should also be noted that the Polish Cavalrymen were issued curved Sabres, which can be sourced from nearly anywhere that sells scale figures...

One would also need to get some references as far the details of the Polish pre-WWII uniforms are concerned. Polish Cavalrymen and Lancers wore Riding Breeches, similar to the German WWII Officer's style, along with proper Riding Boots, as opposed to the "traditional" Hungarian-style Hussar Boots, and the tight Hussar Breeches which the Prussian "Black Hussars" wore. All braiding and tassels would also obviously need to be removed...

Sounds like a lot of extra work, but I'm sure that the end results would be worth the effort! It would DEFINITELY be something "different"! In fact, I think that I just might go ahead and do so, myself!

PS- My Dad was a Ukrainian from L'viv, (Lvov, to you non-Ukrainians- ), which is in the Western part of the Ukraine, and which was under Polish rule at the time, (virtually through his entire youth), so as a consequence, he wound up serving in the Polish Army. He and his family spoke a Galician dialect of Ukrainian, which my Sister and I grew up with. My Mom picked up a little bit of that, but in deference to her and my Grandmother, we also spoke mostly German, a Southern dialect of Swabian, when we were all involved in our conversation. My Sister and I also attended German and Ukrainian Evening Schools AFTER our American schooling was over for the day, twice a week; my Sister also had piano and traditional Ukrainian dance lessons, and I had accordion lessons, which I was allowed to give up after about a year, plus other different activities for the both of us on Saturdays. Yeah, you could say that we had busy childhoods! And STILL, I had enough time to devote to MODELS!!!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:12 PM UTC
The figures are exciting, but I'm skeptical of the poses being more than fantasy.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:11 PM UTC
Just noticed, MB's model builder didn't give his riders their stirrups although they seem to be included on the sprues (nos. 8 and 9 )
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey, Guys!

Hi, Steve!

A few notes-

Regarding the WWI-style German "gear": My Dad served in the "pre-WWII and 1939 Polish Cavalry and Horse-Artillery, and at the time of his capture by the Germans, he and his men were outfitted with WWI German-made gear, made both in Black and Light Brown leather, (The Light Brown Leather was reserved for Officers and senior NCOs), so one really wouldn't have to change much, in that respect. As far as the Headgear is concerned, the units that Dad served in never received the French "Adrian" Helmets; rather, they received steel helmets that were of Polish-manufacture, which had a much more "conventional", rounded shape. That's NOT to say that Polish Army Troops were never issued the French "Adrian" Helmets; many were, just not all of them...

At the time of his capture, he and his men had by that time discarded their steel helmets, which they all felt were too heavy, too hot, and too uncomfortable. Instead, they were much more in favor of wearing their traditional Polish square-topped wool Service Caps, known as the "Rogatywka", which the Polish Army still wears today. One could also source several different HORNET WWII Polish Heads and Head sets wearing the Rogatywka, in lieu of the kit-supplied German "Black Hussar" Heads with Busbies. If one didn't want to model a Polish Lancer, it should also be noted that the Polish Cavalrymen were issued curved Sabres, which can be sourced from nearly anywhere that sells scale figures...

One would also need to get some references as far the details of the Polish pre-WWII uniforms are concerned. Polish Cavalrymen and Lancers wore Riding Breeches, similar to the German WWII Officer's style, along with proper Riding Boots, as opposed to the "traditional" Hungarian-style Hussar Boots, and the tight Hussar Breeches which the Prussian "Black Hussars" wore. All braiding and tassels would also obviously need to be removed...

Sounds like a lot of extra work, but I'm sure that the end results would be worth the effort! It would DEFINITELY be something "different"! In fact, I think that I just might go ahead and do so, myself!

PS- My Dad was a Ukrainian from L'viv, (Lvov, to you non-Ukrainians- ), which is in the Western part of the Ukraine, and which was under Polish rule at the time, (virtually through his entire youth), so as a consequence, he wound up serving in the Polish Army. He and his family spoke a Galician dialect of Ukrainian, which my Sister and I grew up with. My Mom picked up a little bit of that, but in deference to her and my Grandmother, we also spoke mostly German, a Southern dialect of Swabian, when we were all involved in our conversation. My Sister and I also attended German and Ukrainian Evening Schools AFTER our American schooling was over for the day, twice a week; my Sister also had piano and traditional Ukrainian dance lessons, and I had accordion lessons, which I was allowed to give up after about a year, plus other different activities for the both of us on Saturdays. Yeah, you could say that we had busy childhoods! And STILL, I had enough time to devote to MODELS!!!

My mother's family are Slavonic Russians sent by the Czar to Russianize Poland. One of grandfather's brothers decided to go back to the old country just in time to get embroiled in the Russo-Polish War. He came back to the USA.

As far as the uniforms, I was going with the Osprey Men at arms Polish Army 1939-1945 which shows the cavalry as having Adrian helmets. I already have the bits sourced from Airfix multipose figures to make a Polish cavalryman. When I get the sets I'll probably do a German Hussar in the field grey and a Hungarian Hussar in the bright blue and red uniform they kept into mid 1915. The British soldier might find himself an Aussie with a slouch hat and a bayonet rather than a sword. Always been a fan of the movie "The Lighthorsemen"
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Thank You Master Box, for a exciting WW1 Kit , Sometimes I Think modellers just get long winded, and say nothing. This is going to be a good diorama kit to say the least!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey, Guys!

Hi, Steve!

A few notes-

My mother's family are Slavonic Russians sent by the Czar to Russianize Poland. One of grandfather's brothers decided to go back to the old country just in time to get embroiled in the Russo-Polish War. He came back to the USA.

As far as the uniforms, I was going with the Osprey Men at arms Polish Army 1939-1945 which shows the cavalry as having Adrian helmets. I already have the bits sourced from Airfix multipose figures to make a Polish cavalryman. When I get the sets I'll probably do a German Hussar in the field grey and a Hungarian Hussar in the bright blue and red uniform they kept into mid 1915. The British soldier might find himself an Aussie with a slouch hat and a bayonet rather than a sword. Always been a fan of the movie "The Lighthorsemen"

Hi, Steve!

Yeah the German and Hungarian Hussars would be neat additions to your collection! Hussars originated in Hungary, just as a bit of trivia for the guys that didn't know, already.

Yes, there WERE some Polish Cavalrymen that were equipped with the French WWI "Adrian" Helmets, but not all. Same goes for the Polish Horse Artillery. I'm hoping that MASTERBOX will continue in this vein, of providing us with Cavalrymen from the WWI and WWII-eras. I'd also like to see Cavalry and Horse Artillery from other periods, as well. The US Army also had Horse Cavalry right up to just prior to WWII. I think it wold be GREAT if MASTERBOX also enlarged on other wars, of other time periods, as a cheaper alternative to metal alloy, or white metal figures, which are becoming pretty darned expensive! Let's say from the Egyptian Dynasties, the Greek and Roman Empires, the Middle Ages, right on up to some of the ceremonial Cavalry Units of today!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:29 AM UTC
Masterbox has made a good start with their Napoleonic figures and even a few fantasy mounted figures are coming. We really need another company to start doing plastic mounted figures. Though my Historex stash is quite huge.

The US cavalry in World War I served on horseback behind the lines as MPs. To include my old National Guard outfit the 102 cavalry.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC
Hi, Steve!

Have you got a good source for the HISTOREX 54mm Napoleonic Figure series kits?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Steve!

Have you got a good source for the HISTOREX 54mm Napoleonic Figure series kits?

Not anymore. A lot of mine were scooped up in Squadron clearance sales and from a Belgian gentleman liquidating his collection about 15 years ago. At that time I was also regularly going to figure shows and haunting Red Lancers.

Fifteen years ago everyone was looking to get rid of their Historex and Airfix plastic figures.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
Some Historex figures here: http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxsearchresults.php?SupplierCode=HI
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:46 PM UTC

They list most of the currently available line. I also read that the whole line including the early 18th century ancien Regime figures was readily available in France. Just that there is no interest and no profit in exporting to the US.

Face it, everyone does metal or resin. Plastic Napoleonic figures are so 20th century.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:34 PM UTC

THANK YOU BIGGLES!!! You've made my day!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They list most of the currently available line. I also read that the whole line including the early 18th century ancien Regime figures was readily available in France. Just that there is no interest and no profit in exporting to the US.

Face it, everyone does metal or resin. Plastic Napoleonic figures are so 20th century.

THANK YOU STEVE!!! You've ALSO made my day!!!

I have a French buddy/pen-pal, who lives in Melun, who is an avid modeller, specializing in Ships of all scales, 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 Aircraft, plus 1/24 & 1/25 Cars. I'll give him a shout!

PS- If one knows what they're doing, one can bring 20th Century PLASTIC Figures AND Models well into the 21st Century, AND THEN SOME!!! "EVERYONE" doesn't necessarily know which end is up, half of the time!!!
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC
Australian lighthorse could be possible but the wraps would need to come off and the leather type gaiters worn instead.....
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Australian lighthorse could be possible but the wraps would need to come off and the leather type gaiters worn instead.....

Cannibalize the World War I US infantry and ANZAC infantry figures. That's the great thing with plastic figures, inexpensive and easy to mix and match from a stock of parts.

Mixing and matching bits from the old Airfix multi pose figures could allow one to model nearly any 20th century army. I remember seeing World War I cavalry built up of Historex and Airfix bits with very little scratch building required.
 _GOTOTOP