_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
A-MIG paint equivalents
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi all
Can anyone tell me what the equivalents are of A-MIG.044 and A-MIG.061 please? I've spent hours searching for a chart with equivalents to A-MIG paints and so far without success.

Pete
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:15 PM UTC
I googled these as I don't own any of their products but I see that .044 is their 'chipping color' and that .061 is a 'warm sand yellow' Is there a reason you are looking to match these exact colors?

I can't say what is an exact match, but their chipping color is very similar to Life Colors UA 736 Burned Black or Vallejo 70822 Model Color German Camo Black Brown or really any other dark black brown shade, it has a dirty steel/iron with slight tint of rust to it which is why it is often used for chipping. I have even mixed dark gray/blacks with dark red/browns to achieve this type of color in the past with great success.

Experiment a little with mixing colors you may already have on a pallette of some sort and you might surprise yourself at how easy it actually is to make these 'specific' colors.

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Ken.
I have the Takom Gepard here and want to do the sand/brown version, The above colours are what is given for the paint scheme and as I have a fair amount of paint here from various manufacturers I was wondering if I actually had the equivalents already here.

Pete
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
Gotcha!

The thing with these new color call outs like the Takom ones (and Trumpeter call outs with AK paints) is that those paint manufacturers create the sheets to plug their own colors, unlike the old days when there would be several paint manufacturers called out in the instructions and often times, these paints aren't 100% correct match to begin with.

Just about any paint makers 'sand yellow' would more than likely be just as close as they are and can be lightened or darkened to match to your liking.

I would assume this is the scheme they are calling out on their box art? Notice the sand yellow isn't actually one solid color but lighter in shade at the bottom of the turret, the guns and the side skirts (surprised they didn't capitalize on this and make a color modulation set)

Maybe you can find paints you have that match this photo?

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC
Thanks Ken, I hadn't noticed that. The sideskirts look almost light stone to me. There is also quite a variation between your pic above and either the box art or the painting instructions. Best I have a rummage through the paint pots.

Pete
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:50 PM UTC
I've tried an experiment using Humbrol #121 as base colour and Hataka AO77 for the spots. your opinions would be greatly appreciated

I'm not happy with the sand colour on the hull, I think it needs either white or pale grey adding to it.

Pete
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 07:38 PM UTC
I like the spots, maybe a touch more dark gray/black to them.

The sand color is almost right in between the yellow at the top of the reference photo and the faded color at the bottom, some more yellow added might get you the major color and a little light gray or white may get you the faded color.

Weathering will also change these colors a little so keep that in mind.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:38 AM UTC
So I found some of the A-MIG-061 in a shop local to me

It looks too yellow to me, admittedly the pic was taken under artificial light but it doesn't look right

Pete
 _GOTOTOP