_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Takom: V-2 and Carrier
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC

Another news from Takom, who will be releasing an V-2 rocket alone and with its transport.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
pimpdogbert
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:44 AM UTC
I wonder if the auxiliary vehicles will be available?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 12:46 PM UTC
They are separately available. Just a short Google tour will help you! I have seen a command vehicle, next to the various chemical tankers. Since most of them are resin some of us have to speak to their bank manager again. In my place, the lady of the house kindly asked if this would be another add to some still 'under construction' projects! Good to have a man's cave with a door which can be locked.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 03:07 PM UTC
Excellent news. I had my hopes up when they announced the Hanomag that they would continue with the V-2 items. Really hope they continue the V-2 theme with the transport trailer too.
weesiep
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:12 PM UTC
Ah the (history channel / discovery channel expert voice over) "furgol" insert 1 second pause here "tung" "waffe" 2. makes me smile everytime I hear an expert pronounce it like that. It actually sounds like "fair" (but supershort, not faaaaair and with a soft V not an F like the V in video) and then Gel as in hairgel but not "djel" but a g like in great: fairGELtung, with the accent on gel. Revenge. (although that actually means Wrache in German. It is more Payback Weapon.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC
There is a smattering of photos showing numerous vehicles towing the V2. In particular is a real fuzzy pic of what I think might be an Sd.Kfz 8 ton (??) towing a V2. With the V2 weighing in at about 27,000 lbs, the limits of the Sd.Kfz 8 ton would be maximized (28,000 lbs at the height of it's towing/pulling power), so, what I think might be an Sd.Kfz 8, could very well be a FAMO towing the V2 (trying to find that photo to post). Either way...should prove interesting the choices the modeler will have when hooking this dude up to a number of different vehicles for transporting.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:24 PM UTC
This one might be THE kit to bring me back to WWII modelling

The panzer grey and three-tone camo combination might also look cool.

Quoted Text

fairGELtung, with the accent on gel. Revenge. (although that actually means Wrache in German. It is more Payback Weapon.

*smart a** mode on* I think Vergeltung is more along the lines of Retaliation... *smart a** mode off*
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 06:41 PM UTC
I don't know why, but that box art of the missile inbound strikes me as a little tasteless. Maybe I'm being a little over sensitive.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know why, but that box art of the missile inbound strikes me as a little tasteless. Maybe I'm being a little over sensitive.

I see no issue with the illustration, and see it as being comparable as a box art depicting He111 or B-17 dumping bombs. But I've never been overly concerned about box art.
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC
One A-4 (Aggregat 4) with all the trimmings please !
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a smattering of photos showing numerous vehicles towing the V2. In particular is a real fuzzy pic of what I think might be an Sd.Kfz 8 ton (??) towing a V2. With the V2 weighing in at about 27,000 lbs, the limits of the Sd.Kfz 8 ton would be maximized (28,000 lbs at the height of it's towing/pulling power), so, what I think might be an Sd.Kfz 8, could very well be a FAMO towing the V2 (trying to find that photo to post). Either way...should prove interesting the choices the modeler will have when hooking this dude up to a number of different vehicles for transporting.

There are a few liberties taken with the box art--- for one the Meillerwagen would likely have been disconnected from the SS100 prior to erecting the V2 as it used stabilizing outriggers. The SS100 was the prime mover in operational V2 batteries. The Sd.Kfz 8 and other vehicles were used for towing in the testing grounds and for use as cargo vehicles. There is a film showing a Kfz 8 towing a V2 on a Meillerwagen, but it was at a test center, not operationally. Remember, the V2 was not towed when fueled, so it's towing weight was a lot less than the launch weight. The common method of transport from the factory to the field was by rail, where it was transferred to a Vidalwagen using the standard Wehrmacht over head crane, then transferred to the firing battery site using the SS100. From there it was again transferred to a Meillerwagen using an overhead crane. The Meillerwagon was towed and positioned again the SS100. The missile was erected, and the rocket was serviced and fueled. The Meillerwagen was then removed and a specialized armored launch control vehicle on a half track chassis was emplaced for launch. The battery did have other half track and wheeled shop vehicles, like the SWS, but these were not normally used for rocket transport. It's reasonable that other vehicles might tow the Vidalwagen and Meillerwagoon in a pinch, but the SS100 was the designated prime mover. I recommend V2Rocket.com and the book Hitler's Rocket Soldiers for complete information on the battery vehicles and organization.
VR, Russ
pria2022
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC
Looks nice. Would be great if the launcher could be moved to launch or transport mode after assembly. Now please give us a 1/35th Pershing I and II system!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Inbound???
I see it as outbound, just a few seconds after launch

It is a tool of destruction used in war to deliver a large explosive charge which will detonate and destroy things and kill humans and other living beings. Showing that a weapon is/was actually used may be considered tasteless but then a LOT of boxarts in our hobby could be considered tasteless

/ Robin
weesiep
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 05:06 PM UTC
a WMD as modeling subject is questionable yes, but so can be seen our fixation on weapons at all. The little flack explosions on the box art are also a liberty, a V2 comes in at speeds (without any warning) at which no FLAK has any chance at all.
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I see no issue with the illustration, and see it as being comparable as a box art depicting He111 or B-17 dumping bombs. But I've never been overly concerned about box art.

Well, you don't actually SEE where the bombs are going in those types of illustrations or their after effects.

I am also aware that models depict weapons of war. It's just that box art typically shows the subject in a more or less static position--like a model. Tanks, for example, are never shown destroyed or running over dead bodies, etc.

That TAKOM box art seems to take the subject a little further than just modeling.

Just my take...

Pat
MMiR
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
The entire V2 lauch unit was comprised of more than the Meilerwagen and the SS-100 tractor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meillerwagen

Interesting the note that there might have been a self-propelled
V2 launcher. What about a Maus chassis with the V2 on??
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, you don't actually SEE where the bombs are going in those types of illustrations or their after effects.

[...]Tanks, for example, are never shown destroyed or running over dead bodies, etc.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The entire V2 lauch unit was comprised of more than the Meilerwagen and the SS-100 tractor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meillerwagen

Interesting the note that there might have been a self-propelled
V2 launcher. What about a Maus chassis with the V2 on??

It's doubtful the Maus was ever considered as a transport launcher especially since it was never fully developed. However, a rail based launch system was planned, developed and tested, but never used widely in operation as far as I can tell from any sources. The best source for V2 systems and equipment is the website V2rocket.com, and the best book source I've found is the book Hitler's Rocket Soldiers which contains orders of battle for V2 units, including battery layout and vehicle types.
VR, Russ
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Found the photo!

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Found the photo!

Yes, this is a still photo from a famous film showing the Sd.Kfz 8 towing the Meillerwagen and an unfueled V2/A4 as a test at one of the developmental test centers, Mittelwerk or Peenemunde-- note the bunkered hill and test track road. No one in their right mind would tow a fueled V2, and it's doubtful the Volkswagen engine that powered the hydraulics of a Meillerwagen could lift one fully fueled. According to V2.Rocket.com the Sd.Kfz 8 and the SWS were just two of the support vehicles planned for the firing batteries, and might have been used to tow in rough terrain. But the all-purpose towing vehicle-tug was the SS100, and several were assigned to each battery. Most of the V2 launch sites were in Holland and Northern Germany, and were usually chosen for their level ground and good road and RR access. Rough terrain was not a good option for getting the support vehicles and Lox trailer in for launching the rocket. I'm Not saying they would never use a half track to tow with, it was just not the preferred option, but late in the operational firing program I'm sure anything could and did happen. There are also photos of the Sd.Kfz 7/3 launch control vehicle pulling equipment from the firing battery, and SS100s and Sd.Kfz 7/3s pulling fuel trailers and launch stands (which came on their own wheeled cradle).
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 11:33 PM UTC
I wanted to add that the captured battery OOBs (from Hitler's Rocket Soldiers) show there were 6 tracked vehicles planned in the battery, and what looks like 7 wheeled towing vehicles-- Radschlepers (SS100). The six tracked vehicles were broken down into two types, three 8t vehicles (not for towing) and three 12t vehicles, only the three 12 ton vehicles and the Radschlepers (SS100) are shown towing anything-- what looks like Miellerwagens and Vidalwagen. Unfortunately the only contemporary photos we have seem to be showing only the SS100 towing anything. But I think a good argument could be made that at some point some tracked thingy could have towed the Meillerwagen-- but we don't really have any photographic evidence of it, other than the test film.
VR, Russ
Yankasippi
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 - 12:37 AM UTC
Well, crap. I never thought of the V2 model as anything but a model. If y'all want to get really technical about offensive, what the hell are we doing buying anything SS?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 07:41 AM UTC
Where'd the SS thing come from? Anyways, it's cool to see the V-2 with its truck and trailer and I'm hoping that it will be followed by the armoured cab launch vehicle and perhaps a fuel truck or two. Support vehicles are the ticket to any dio that perports to show a launch at Peenemunde. I don't know enough about the rocket program to know positively if the trailer provided was actually what was used to launch in the field, or simply a transporter. Either way, BIG & COOL!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Where'd the SS thing come from? Anyways, it's cool to see the V-2 with its truck and trailer and I'm hoping that it will be followed by the armoured cab launch vehicle and perhaps a fuel truck or two. Support vehicles are the ticket to any dio that perports to show a launch at Peenemunde. I don't know enough about the rocket program to know positively if the trailer provided was actually what was used to launch in the field, or simply a transporter. Either way, BIG & COOL!

Perhaps he was confusing the designation of the transporter--the Hanomag SS-100. It actually stands for Schwere Schleper-- heavy transporter loosely translated. The Mielerwagen depicted in the kit is not a launcher, it was used to transport an armed rocket to the launch site, and then elevated the rocket onto a launching table. It was also used as a servicing tower for the rocket. It would be withdrawn prior to launch. I recommend checking out the web site V2rocket.com-- loads of photos, written material and diagrams for the V2, it's associated equipment and launch sites. A fascinating book on the V2 program is "Hitler's Rocket Soldiers" which has some great photos, stories and OOB for the rocket forces. Check out V2rocket.com-- it'll answer all your questions.
VR Russ
Yankasippi
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:20 PM UTC
No, i was thinking in terms of modeling what is offensive. A political army is always offensive. One that operates death camps is quite offensive. So, if I were to consider the Waffen SS the same as this rocket, of it being a weapon of mass destruction, what would I do? And to think of it, the M1919 air-cooled machine gun is made for mass distruction, as is the Sherman, the Churchill, the B-17, etc. All made for killing more than one person at a time, if possible. I am making the statement that if we think about 1/35 models are we thinking in terms of a hobby, or of not rendering anything that has to do with killing, unless it is a one shot musket.
 _GOTOTOP