_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
cold start up after 65 years
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 04:27 PM UTC
found this whilst cruising youtube, a soviet tank destroyer which has sat dormant for 65 years being started up!

Start up heavy tank destroyer after 65 years
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 06:33 PM UTC
It did require some serious persuasion though
Interesting to hear the real sound and see the track sag.
A good testimony to the robustness of the soviet tanks from WWII ....

/ Robin
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 06:52 PM UTC
It's a shame that there's no back story like where was it found? I says Ukraine but nothing about the circumstances. I love the way all these WW2 vehicles keep appearing in the former USSR.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a shame that there's no back story like where was it found? I says Ukraine but nothing about the circumstances. I love the way all these WW2 vehicles keep appearing in the former USSR.

I doubt it was lost/found, probably sat somwhere as a monument or in the back of some army baracks. It is definitely post WWII model, 65 years from now makes it a 1950 kind of affair.

Greg
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
That just makes me smile!!! 😄 Thanks for sharing!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

found this whilst cruising youtube, a soviet tank destroyer which has sat dormant for 65 years being started up!

Start up heavy tank destroyer after 65 years

EXCELLENT!!!
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC
Great soundtrack! I'm kind of surprised they didn't go for a beer run once it fired up and got un-stuck.....
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I doubt it was lost/found, probably sat somwhere as a monument or in the back of some army baracks. It is definitely post WWII model, 65 years from now makes it a 1950 kind of affair.

Greg

It's an ISU-152 assault gun (not really intended as a tank destroyer, though its massive shell was pretty destructive). They were built during the war on the chassis of the IS-2 Stalin heavy tank. Stalin production wound down shortly after the war (and many existing tanks were reconditioned and modernized), but production of the ISU-152 continued into the 1950's. This one has the postwar style fenders and light guard, so it may be a postwar build or a modernized wartime vehicle.
simonn
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 - 05:18 AM UTC
Great to see one of these relics being brought back to life. Would be interesting to see what parts they had to replace to get it going
Thanks for sharing the link

Simon
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC
since you guys liked that one i thought i woudl share this one with you as well: soviet tank start up

and the info that was available from youtube:

Published on 18 Jun 2014
A pair of pranksters got the shock of their lives when they climbed into a rusting old WW2 tank perched on a monument in Ukraine - and managed to get it started.

The tank was atop a memorial in Kostiantynivka, an industrial city in eastern Ukraine, when the jokers who were both mechanics clambered aboard and began poking about inside.

Built in 1943, retired in 1945, and placed on the pedestal in 1994, the mighty diesel engine stunned the mechanics when it roared into life after they bent some wires in the ignition and played around with them.

"No-one was more surprised then me when she kicked into life," said Dimitry Koskalovin, 23, who clambered into the tank with his pal Mikhail Stakavan, 22.

"We let it rip for a few minutes and then did a runner. We never meant to pinch it or anything."

Local council officials said they were investigating the circumstances that left the tank in a functional state when it was put on top of the pedestal and said police had been called to try and work out whether the pair who posted a video of the action online had done anything illegal.

A police spokesman said: "In theory it could have been dangerous because the tank could have driven off, but other than that it's not clear what else we might charge them with."
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 03:23 AM UTC
Awesome
 _GOTOTOP