_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M983 HEMTT Tractor WIP
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:27 AM UTC
I guess I am a gluten for HEMTT punishment. While I am waiting for some more parts to come in for my ongoing M1074 PLS build, I decided to build the M983 HEMTT tractor. I am using the left-over parts from my M1074 build: Trumpeter M983 tractor parts, the left-over Italeri HEMTT from the M1120 kit, and some extra parts out of the Dragon PATRIOT PAC-3 launcher I recently reviewed.

This is what the end result will look like.

I started by cutting the frame just behind the transfer case and removing about 15mm to shorten the frame. I then added the Trumpeter tractor parts including the fifth wheel, ramps, work platform on the back, and PE screen on the frame, among other small items. I also scratched up some gladhands at the rear and a added a winch and cable guides from the Dragon kit.

I am also using the Eduard M977 PE set for the interior. The Italeri interior is really bare and this set dresses it up nicely. Also, I cut the rear wall apart to correctly represent the opening for airflow to the radiator. I spliced the center rear wall section from the Trumpeter kit in place to complete the rear wall. This part has a very nice inner sound dampener/insulation layer that I wanted to use.

I am adding the Real Model engine set to it too. This engine is really nice. It adds a lot to the old Italeri truck. I will display it with one side of the hood open and the left side engine panel removed.

In the Dragon PATRIOT PAC-3 kit, there was a whole sprue from the truck, along with other truck parts sprinkled about the other sprues. Most notable are a nice steering gear box, rear brake cylinders, and the aforementioned winch. I added all these parts and scratched up the steering linkages. With the winch and guides from the Dragon kit, and the winch guides from the Trumpeter kit, I had enough guides to do a complete set down the right side of the frame. Both the Dragon and Trumpeter kits only include the guides to the rear, when the truck also has guides that go forward to be used in either direction. The Dragon winch was actually nicer than the Trumpeter one too.

More work continues on this one as well. The HEMTT workshop keeps churning.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:23 AM UTC
Very nice! All these HEMTT builds have me itching to do one.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:50 AM UTC
Gino you have quite a HEMTT assembly line going here! Good work!
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:27 AM UTC
Nice!!! This is a truck modeler's truck!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:42 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I figured I might as well build it since all the parts were right there staring at me. I have been bitten by the truck bug again, it happens every so often. I have an M1070 HETS on the shelf that is calling out to me.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:49 AM UTC
I'm about to start my M1070.. It's a bit daunting to me. Lol
Removed by original poster on 11/01/16 - 03:58:49 (GMT).
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:00 AM UTC
Gino and Dustin,

Matt Leese has these to secure those loads on those M1070's for you all. I'm thinking about getting both of these a try to secure my M1 Panter II on my HET.

These

and these

Down Range Productions via Shapeways
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I am a gluten for HEMTT punishment. While I am waiting for some more parts to come in for my ongoing M1074 PLS build, I decided to build the M983 HEMTT tractor. I am using the left-over parts from my M1074 build: Trumpeter M983 tractor parts, the left-over Italeri HEMTT from the M1120 kit, and some extra parts out of the Dragon PATRIOT PAC-3 launcher I recently reviewed.

This is what the end result will look like.

I started by cutting the frame just behind the transfer case and removing about 15mm to shorten the frame. I then added the Trumpeter tractor parts including the fifth wheel, ramps, work platform on the back, and PE screen on the frame, among other small items. I also scratched up some gladhands at the rear and a added a winch and cable guides from the Dragon kit.

I am also using the Eduard M977 PE set for the interior. The Italeri interior is really bare and this set dresses it up nicely. Also, I cut the rear wall apart to correctly represent the opening for airflow to the radiator. I spliced the center rear wall section from the Trumpeter kit in place to complete the rear wall. This part has a very nice inner sound dampener/insulation layer that I wanted to use.

I am adding the Real Model engine set to it too. This engine is really nice. It adds a lot to the old Italeri truck. I will display it with one side of the hood open and the left side engine panel removed.

In the Dragon PATRIOT PAC-3 kit, there was a whole sprue from the truck, along with other truck parts sprinkled about the other sprues. Most notable are a nice steering gear box, rear brake cylinders, and the aforementioned winch. I added all these parts and scratched up the steering linkages. With the winch and guides from the Dragon kit, and the winch guides from the Trumpeter kit, I had enough guides to do a complete set down the right side of the frame. Both the Dragon and Trumpeter kits only include the guides to the rear, when the truck also has guides that go forward to be used in either location The Dragon winch was actually nicer than the Trumpeter one.

More work continues on this one as well. The HEMTT workshop keeps churning.

Wow, Gino!

I wind up doing the same thing- I like to work on several different projects at one time; while one model is drying between paint-work, an assembly-process, or waiting for aftermarket goodies, I'm working on a few other projects at the same time! Three separate work benches, plus my "paint shop", i.e, my brush-painting/airbrushing/paint booth bench enable me to work 24/7 on models, but THAT is hardly the case!

I more or less work on my projects at my leisure, being retired/disabled, so I have more than enough time on my hands to do what I want, when I want. (When I'm at home, that is, which is most of the time...)

I'll be following along with your build with great interest, as I have every intention of building an M983, myself. Our local National Guard (Engineers) have at least a half dozen of these at our Armory...

Again, WOW!!!
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:26 PM UTC
Thank you Pete!

I was curious as to where to buy boomers and chains for a load. That's perfect.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:25 PM UTC
Dustin - Don't be discouraged. I'm sure your M1070 will come out great.

Pete - I have seen those. They look good. Accurate Armour also does a few different tie-down sets too (US, NATO, Brit, etc.). I'll have to see which is the better deal.

Dennis - Thanks for looking in. I look forward to seeing yours as well.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:58 PM UTC
How about some old school love with load locks from Wiseman Model Services:

See many more tools, toolboxes, heavy jacks, 2-man etched saws, heavy block & tackle, etc. at:

Shop the site:
http://wisemanmodelservices.com/

Load Binders:
http://www.locopainter.com/store/product.php?id=1107

(I have no business connections what so ever with Wiseman Model Services.)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like another good option. I had not heard of them before.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dustin - Don't be discouraged. I'm sure your M1070 will come out great.

Thank you very much, sir.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:55 PM UTC
Gino, Wiseman Model Services is a not so small cottage metal casting industry located in Central Kentucky. They specialize mainly in HO, O and G Scale logging and back woods railroad equipment and kits.

Check out the catalog section entitled:
"O SCALE STRUCTURE AND SCENERY DETAIL PARTS"

http://www.locopainter.com/store/category.php?id=4
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC
The beauty of the Wiseman scale tools is that they really are not scale specific. A large monkey wrench in one scale is a small tool in another.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC
Very nice Gino! I'm watching this with interest. I have the older Italeri M978 Fueler that I'm building and scratching and Eduard-ing and ProArt-ing and etc and etc and......

My ultimate goal is to show it as a load on the back of the M1070/M1000 and refueling the M1070. Someday.....

cheers

Bob
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 337 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:50 PM UTC
Another great build!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 05:13 AM UTC
Bob - Thanks for checking in. Your M978/M1070 build sounds good. Can't wait to see it.

Taylor - Thanks for the compliment.
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 03:31 PM UTC
Well, looks like you have been hit with the HEMTT/Wheeled vehicle bug. Looking great.

Rounds Complete!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 05:30 PM UTC
Yup, visions of HEMTTs dancing in my head...

Thanks Mike.
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 06:46 PM UTC
Be vewy, vewy quiet. We hunting HEMTTs!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 02:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looks like another good option. I had not heard of them before.

Hi, Everyone-

You know, there are a WEALTH of brass "lost-wax" castings in HO, S, O and G scales that can be adapted and used in virtually any scenario to represent pumps, air compressors, piping, globe valves, air lines and you name it! Some of these parts can also be had in plastic.

The late Great Shep Paine used these parts that are normally associated with Model Railroaders, for many, many of his models in the most popular scales, i.e, 1/24-1/25, 1/32, 1/35, 1/48, 1/72, 1/87, 1/144, etc. Though the parts themselves may not be EXACT representations of specific gadgets, widgets and gidgets, they come in handy when one is "imagineering", to quote Shep's term. I mostly like to use these types of parts for my HO Steam Locomotives, but they also come in handy for me to "fill out" the detail in other applications, as well.

I like to "alter" some of these parts better represent such things as small auxiliary engines, air compressors, hydraulic pumps, brake cylinders, and all kinds of other stuff! They can be handily found on ebay; just enter: "HO", "O", "S" or "G scale" brass detail parts" or any combination of the latter, and you should come up a plethora of parts to choose from. The detail cast into these parts is ASTOUNDING, to say the least!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 02:26 PM UTC
The Model Railroad items I use most often in my Armor modeling are: Hex Nut & Washer sets, Globe Valves and Drain Cocks. (Every air brake tank on every truck and Railway car should have one!)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
A question for the masses. I have the Italeri HEMTT gun ring mount coming and am torn between which vehicle (M1074 PLS or M983 tractor) to put it on. I have found a few pics where it is on both, but not many.

M983 w/gun ring.

M1074 PLSs w gun ring and crew applied armor.

The PLS looks really cool, but I am not sure I want to go that route.

What do you guys think?
 _GOTOTOP