_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best brand of acrylic clear coat?
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hi guys. I need your opinions on acrylic clear coat to protect an acrylic paint job from enamel weathering. Preferably satin, sprays nice and something that will work with one coat.

Does any particular brand stand out?

Thanks.
docbrick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
I will deviate from the norm and recommend a non-model specific varnish: Winsor and Newton Acrylic UV Varnishes.

After experimenting with floor polish (yeah, you know), Vallejo and Ammo of MIG, I gave up on using the modelling brand due to frosting, poor quality control and lack of consistence. Winsor and Newton Acrylic UV Varnish are all I use now and I get the same finish every time.

Shake them well then drop it right into your airbrush and spray at a mid-level PSI and it goes on quite well. Give it a few days to cure and you are good to go. You will certainly get a lot more fluid ounces for your money and what I believe to be a superior product in terms of quality and formulation.

Hope this helps.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC
Vallejo Polyurethane Varnish. Comes in gloss, satin, & matt. Sprays on fantastically. Easy airbrush cleanup with alcohol & water. Its all I use now.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC
I really like Alclad Aqua Gloss,fool proof stuff.
 _GOTOTOP