_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SKP lenses for Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK 2
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:20 AM UTC
A quick question ref the SKP Abrams lenses (SKP 117) meant for Dragon kits? Would these lenses fit Mengs TUSK 2 kit as the carpet monster has gobbled up one of the tail light lenses from the kit and it is nowhere to be found.
Also I notice that the kit painting instructions show the right hand engine access door is painted what they call burnt rust. Is that the case with the real deal as I have found very few pics showing this. Really only show vehicles at arms fairs.
While I'm on the topic, how often were Duke anti IED antenna fitted to M1A2's? Many thanks in advance.

Max
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:29 AM UTC
Here is a link that has some rear pics of the new M1A2 SEP v.3- the rear is painted a blackish color which is then discolored by the heat.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/united_states_army_heavy_armoured_vehicles_tank_uk/m1a2_sep_v3_main_battle_tank_technical_data_sheet_specifications_pictures_video_11710154.html

If you Google M1A2 rear, most are painted the same color as the main camo. The middle panel of the exhaust gets severely discolored.

https://www.google.com/search?q=m1a2+rear&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_enUS474&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjE6J788t3QAhVP8mMKHeU3BMsQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=963#imgrc=ahdzIMMUsExrbM%3A
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hi Jason,

Yes those are some of the pics I have come across, but also some of vehicles firing on ranges with a dark right hand access door. The majority do show overall vehicle cam colour doors I just thought for a little visual contrast to the rear of the vehicle that I might paint it the dark colour.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 04:22 AM UTC
You could always break out the vacuum cleaner, do the whole floor, or house, then pull out the bag, put on some gloves and a respirator, and cut open the bag. I've done that more than a few times over the last few years and have always recovered the part I was looking for, and a few times a part I didn't even know I lost.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:29 AM UTC
Someone makes lenses of various sizes, but the name escapes me at the moment
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone makes lenses of various sizes, but the name escapes me at the moment

Were you thinking of MV Lenses or Little Cars?

MV Lenses are more a model train application, but do work for vehicles. Unfortunately, I've not found a on-line info source for them.

After a web search I found this M1A2 SEP Blog with Little Cars Lenses.

Info about Little Cars Lenses.

Little Cars Website (search for "lenses").

HTH
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC
Unfortunately I have gone down the hoover route with no joy, not something I want to ever have to do again!I think maybe I'll get the SKP set and give it ago, adjust the lights if need be.
Thanks for the links to the little cars lenses, they look really good shame they don't do a rear light set.
Mckenna35
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 09:23 PM UTC
Sprue Brothers sells MV Lenses, along with an assortment of others:
https://store.spruebrothers.com/searchresults.asp?Search=lenses&Submit=

HTH

Michael
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:40 AM UTC
I eyeballed the Meng kit and I think the SKP lenses would be ok. If they don't fit, I bet I have an extra set of lights from the Dragon kit you could have.

MK Lenses- that was it.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply's guys and the offer of the lenses Jason. I think I will get the SKP lenses as postage from the US for your spare lenses will be about on par with buying them from over here. Does anyone have any info ref the colour of the engine access doors? i think i will probably go down the dark colour just to add some visual interest to the rear of the vehicle.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:52 PM UTC
Thought I would just add these pics here rather than start a new thread. I got around the rear light lens issue by filling the hole in the light with CA glue, then painting it with Tamiya clear red when dry. came out OK I think. Another quick question however, what type of antennas do M1A1/2 use now as I have come across pics showing very thin whip type antennas as opposed to the thicker long type with the bobble on to? I haven't added antenna yet until I know what would be appropriate.

Anyway pics below.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:14 PM UTC
Looking pretty nice. Good recovery on the rear lens. Both types of antennas can be used on M1A2s. The type you need though is the thinner one based on the antenna mounting base that comes in the kit. The newer thin ones have a thinner, more pointy base, while the thicker, older ones have a more robust base.

Newer antenna base.

Thicker, older antenna base.

maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:53 PM UTC
Cheers Gino, exactly the info I was looking for. It's ironic that we (British Army) have gone the other direction, from thin Clansmen antennas to thicker US style antennas. What would be the length in 1/35 of the new style? Also the Meng model has a third antenna base in the right hand side basket which holds a shorter thicker antenna (pictured below on the far left of the turret). It's very similiar to the Harris data antenna. Is that the case?

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:24 PM UTC
The actual antenna length is 63" for just the mast above the base. In 1/35, that equals 4.6 cm.

The thicker antenna on the right rear of the turret is an EPLRS (digital) antenna and is about 36" in actual height, or 2.6 cm in 1/35.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:52 AM UTC
Thanks very much Gino.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 07:56 PM UTC
As far as color of the back grills...

If they come from the factory painted in sand, the right two portions of the grill are painted in flat back, like a BBQ grill!

If painted outside the factory, it's supposed to be done this way too. Although youre not supposed to paint CARC paint on high heat areas, it happens and then it burns to that brownish/red ting. Of course in 40 or 50 years we'll hear about some sort of cancer that burning CARC paint caused. Maybe they should just insulate it with some asbestos?

I'm up at Four Riley with the 1 ID. I can get some pics, but there's plenty on the google.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:21 AM UTC
Hi Bruce, Thanks for the info. I'd love to see any photos you can post, they will come in handy for others too. Usually you see small details/modifications that the crews do themselves.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the info. I'd love to see any photos you can post, they will come in handy for others too. Usually you see small details/modifications that the crews do themselves.

The 1 ID just got back from three weeks in the field getting ready for NTC.

Here's the rear of one that just got parked back at the motor pool from 5-4 CAV

You can see the right rear girls are painted w heat resistant black paint. Some only have the center grill painted, but it's definitely paint, not just discoloration.

Not many individual modifications made by troops. Just lots of odd green parts on some from repairs. Everything is pretty uniform equipmentwise. Lots of oil drip pans and tarps when parked!
 _GOTOTOP