_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrushing mig filter
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hello, I am using MIG-1510 Tan for 3 tone camo, and was wondering if it is possible to airbrush on the filter rather than with a paintbrush?

Would this have a detrimental effect on the finish?

One other question what is the proper steps for weathering?

1.paint (acrylic), 2. gloss coat where the decals will go, 3. dull coat the model after the decals are on, 4. apply filter (enamel) (Here is where I am not sure should I gloss cote the model after the filter / before putting down the washes, mud, dirt etc), then a final dullcoat?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
I just saw the sticky post right above my post about the finishing steps.....so my only question is about airbrushing the filter.

Thanks
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:46 AM UTC
Just bumping my post...hoping to get an answer to my question. Has no one tried this before, or does airbrushing the filter make no sense (LOL).
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just bumping my post...hoping to get an answer to my question. Has no one tried this before, or does airbrushing the filter make no sense (LOL).

G'day Eric

I can quite see the point of wanting to airbrush the filter, so as to get a nice thin coat. However, you might like to give consideration to the fact that filters are usually based on a petroleum type spirit of some sort, and the seals in your airbrush may not take too kindly to it.

Regards

Rob
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC
Howdy Eric!

You absolutely can Airbrush your Mig Filters. Ive been doing it for several years now with no problems at all. I actually thin my Filters a tad with Mineral Spirits to get thinner coat like you suggested. I like that i have absolute control of the application, thickness, etc, with the Airbrush vs. the old hairy brush. I do it with Mig, Ammo and AK filters with no issues. Just Clean your Airbrush first with Mineral Spirits then your normal cleaning routine.

Cheers!

Gary

BTW, your steps 1 thru 4 are spot on for me! I save Pigments as the Very last step.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thank you both for your answers, I appreciate them.
 _GOTOTOP