_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Early Panther paint schemes
ShaunCN
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hello Everyone

A quick question after reading through the book "Images of War Special The Panther Tank" it says the Panther Ausf D initially went into production in November 1942 thus I would assume these first tanks would of being painted in the panzergrau grey paint as the Dunkelgelb dark yellow order wasn't issued until February 1943. Most people claim there were never any grey Panther tanks. Is the book wrong or am I missing something?

Thanks
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:15 AM UTC
I have seen a lot of very early model Panthers and all of them were painted in a Dunkelgelb overall.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Everyone

A quick question after reading through the book "Images of War Special The Panther Tank" it says the Panther Ausf D initially went into production in November 1942 thus I would assume these first tanks would of being painted in the panzergrau grey paint as the Dunkelgelb dark yellow order wasn't issued until February 1943. Most people claim there were never any grey Panther tanks. Is the book wrong or am I missing something?

Thanks

Preproduction vehicles we repainted prior to issue. None were delivered to users in Dunkelgrau. All D models were delivered in Dunkelgelb.
ShaunCN
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the input guys
 _GOTOTOP