_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrush Compressor help.
KyrasMoonhunter
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:17 PM UTC
First, I want to start off saying I apologize if this is the wrong place for this.

Second, my issue. I am trying to step into the world of airbrushing for not just military models, but mecha, and miniatures all around. I have been hand brushing quite a bit, and finally want to take the plunge after being recommended it by some friends. I live in an apartment complex, and I am looking for something that is quieter, and with a tank in terms of compressors. I have my eyes set on a Model TC-77 for its quiet nature, and small tank, which is fine by me.

Is there any other recommendations that aren't super harsh on the wallet, and meet quiet standards for during the day. It will be used indoors, and I am prepared to make a painting booth for my desk or table if need be later, but what would you guys recommend? I plan on using it during the day, but our downstairs neighbors are night shift workers, so they sleep during the day. I can give a link to the one I am looking at if need be, but any help would be greatly appreciative. Especially for my first attempt at this.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:45 PM UTC
if you want one with tank this one is quiet enough for a apartment,i have one very similar and make just little bit more noise then a fridge,is still small and the tank is big enough to work few minute without run the compressor,i have the feeling the TC-77 is so small the compressor is allways on duty

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MASTC-40T_4.html#.WGduq1z15f0

For meke less noise if jour floor is wood or tiles put a piece of carpet or something soft under the compressor.

P.S: also the compressor of both is exactly the same,means same noise,consume,etc...but bigger tank means less work and heat for the compressor equal longer life

my 2 cents!!
urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 675 posts
Armorama: 667 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 08:14 PM UTC
food for thought :
I cobbled together an old 3 gallon compressor and an 11 gallon reserve tank from Harbor freight -- with the necessary filter/ regulators ,( you can get pancake compressors from them for super cheap )
Now I only deal with about 5 minutes of compressor noise once a week on average to charge the tanks .
The air will last me at least an entire day of nothing but spraying -- usually 2 days of heavy continuous use .. . but normally a week plus ...

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:31 AM UTC
A CO2 cylinder. Water free, no power, silent, no moving things to wear out, easily portable.
IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

if you want one with tank this one is quiet enough for a apartment,i have one very similar and make just little bit more noise then a fridge,is still small and the tank is big enough to work few minute without run the compressor,i have the feeling the TC-77 is so small the compressor is allways on duty

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MASTC-40T_4.html#.WGduq1z15f0

For meke less noise if jour floor is wood or tiles put a piece of carpet or something soft under the compressor.

P.S: also the compressor of both is exactly the same,means same noise,consume,etc...but bigger tank means less work and heat for the compressor equal longer life

my 2 cents!!

I have the TC-40T as well and really like it a lot. Also, further to Vicious' comment, the TC-40T is marketed as the "Cool Runner" because it can run longer without heating up. I can confirm that is not just marketing. I had a different model Master Airbrush compressor and became significantly hot after about 30 minutes. In contrast, I've been able to use this one for hours without heating up significantly.

I will admit that I don't use the airbrush holders on my compressor and instead I rest my airbrush on a cleaning pot like this which is offered under various brand names:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Cleaning-Palette-Filters/dp/B01M8NI5GA/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1483791892&sr=1-3&keywords=airbrush+cleaning+pot

As someone who bought his own first airbrush last year, this cleaning pot is indispensable, because it allows me to run cleaning solution (Simple Green) and water through my airbrush between colors.

Also, as an apartment dweller, I would advise using some type of "spray booth," even if its only a large empty box on its side. You'd be amazed where stray droplets can get sprayed.
KyrasMoonhunter
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 10:05 AM UTC
I have been keeping everyone's posts in mind and I find it all very helpful. I might go with the one recommended the most, the TC-40T, and the cleaning pot is one I am already looking at getting. I would go with the other suggestions but I am not very handy myself, and the CO2 doesn't seem..I dunno the words for it. I thank you all so much btw! A lot more helpful than some other places I have tried. I think I have everything I need, so thank you guys again for being so helpful!
 _GOTOTOP