_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The interminable WW2 OD controversy
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:11 AM UTC
So I used a Tamiya rattlecan OD, TS 28 which seems too dark for a US WW2 Sherman. I used to use Modelmaster OD but I have heard it criticized as being too vivid (although I liked the way it looked. Now I note that the Tamiya TS 28 is listed as OD#2 so I wonder is there a rattlecan Tamiya OD#1 and is it a closer match for US WW2 AFV olive drab?
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
John,

WWII AFV olive drab was very dark, Tamiya TS28 is the best match for fresh olive drab. The lighter O.D. was used by the USAAF on aircraft.
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 03:31 AM UTC
I'm not sure about the Tamiya TS28 rattle cans, but the Tamiya XF62 OD is supposed to be a very good match for US WWII OD.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I used a Tamiya rattlecan OD, TS 28 which seems too dark for a US WW2 Sherman. I used to use Modelmaster OD but I have heard it criticized as being too vivid (although I liked the way it looked. Now I note that the Tamiya TS 28 is listed as OD#2 so I wonder is there a rattlecan Tamiya OD#1 and is it a closer match for US WW2 AFV olive drab?

You can cut the Tamiya color with some German Dark Yellow to allow for scale effect, as it was matched to a full size color card.

Now, just to complicate things, postings on the Missing-Lynx message boards claim that a recent batch of Tamiya OD doesn't match their original standard, reportedly being too green (OD has a slightly brownish hue). This had happened before, some years ago, and was probably a factory error rather than a deliberate change, but it took months (or years) for all the faulty bottles to disappear from retailers' stocks.

On the other hand, the Model Master color isn't bad, and a little dust can take down the "vivid" color.
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:11 AM UTC
The TS 28 looks a lot More like post war OD than it does WW2 OD, it even has a sheen to it. Since I always weather my stuff I guess I'll just go back to Modelmaster and consign my Tamiya rattlecan to the circular file. Thanks all....
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The TS 28 looks a lot More like post war OD than it does WW2 OD, it even has a sheen to it. Since I always weather my stuff I guess I'll just go back to Modelmaster and consign my Tamiya rattlecan to the circular file. Thanks all....

The real difficulty in using a rattle can paint is that you can't modify it before it's sprayed. You get what is in the can and nothing else. I do know guys that decant the rattle can stuff into containers and then modify it from there for their airbrushes, but that's always been a hassle to me.

Now, the darker OD really is what fresh WW II OD looks like, so maybe use it as the base colour and then overspray lightly with a lighter variant (say the Testors) to get the scale effect that lightens the appearance of colours with distance and you can also create the panel effect with darker edges.

Also, lighter washes/filters/glazes and dust pigments will markedly lighten your finish, so don't start too light if you're going to lighten more with the weathering.

But, in the end, remember that WW II OD is a mix of black and yellow ochre pigments and nothing else. So it's going to be very dark when fresh and was on the real vehicles as well.

And as for the sheen, that's a good thing. It means less Future applied to gloss the surface to take decals properly. After decals you top coat with your favourite flat coat (which will lighten the appearance further) then apply your weathering on top of that.

Paul
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The real difficulty in using a rattle can paint is that you can't modify it before it's sprayed. You get what is in the can and nothing else. I do know guys that decant the rattle can stuff into containers and then modify it from there for their airbrushes, but that's always been a hassle to me.

Now, the darker OD really is what fresh WW II OD looks like, so maybe use it as the base colour and then overspray lightly with a lighter variant (say the Testors) to get the scale effect that lightens the appearance of colours with distance and you can also create the panel effect with darker edges.

Also, lighter washes/filters/glazes and dust pigments will markedly lighten your finish, so don't start too light if you're going to lighten more with the weathering.

But, in the end, remember that WW II OD is a mix of black and yellow ochre pigments and nothing else. So it's going to be very dark when fresh and was on the real vehicles as well.

And as for the sheen, that's a good thing. It means less Future applied to gloss the surface to take decals properly. After decals you top coat with your favourite flat coat (which will lighten the appearance further) then apply your weathering on top of that.

Paul

With all due respect it isn't even olive, it's just a dark green. And it doesn't look at all like any OD that I have ever seen in a WW2 AFV photo or on any extant museum vehicles. I grew up around the Army and WW2museums so I have seen a lot of OD in my lifetime, this stuff may pass for post war OD but it isn't even close to WW2 colors. I have seen the reverse side of existing WW2 OD paint chips, this stuff isn't it. I understand that I cannot add anything to then paint in the can, this isn't my first rodeo, that's why I asked if Tamiya's other OD was closer.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure about the Tamiya TS28 rattle cans, but the Tamiya XF62 OD is supposed to be a very good match for US WWII OD.

My mistake, your right its XF62 is the best match after you spray a clear coat over it like Model Master Acryl Flat Clear, the color darkens dramatically.
 _GOTOTOP