_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
new compressor
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:55 AM UTC
Ok so I am looking to purchase a new quiet electric compressor for my airbrush. Looking at the specs of the compressor made me think about the airflow specs of my airbrushes. I am not sure what my airbrushes require to operate properly. The compressor I am looking at delivers .5cfm of volume @ 15 liters/min. I have an Iwata eclipse and a master (yes on of them is inexspensive) and can not find any specs on either of them to determine if the new compressor wil be adequate as the instructions have been lost in a move. Does anyone know if the above specs will work with my airbrushes. thanks in advance
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 06:35 PM UTC
anyone
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 07:38 PM UTC
Having been using an airbrush for many many years I have never really bothered with the technical specifications. I have used several kinds of compressors including those designed for "industrial" use so long as the rated output is between approximately 5-40 psi you will be fine. Just about any compressor made for use with an airbrush should work just fine. Ideally you should have a compressor with a tank which helps to maintain constant pressure and avoids the constant running. Your setup should also include a regulator to allow you to adjust the pressure and a moisture trap to catch the water vapor which is a byproduct of the process of compressing air, especially in a humid environment. If you have a tank the moisture is less of a problem as water is heavier than air and drops to the bottom of the tank. However, you will need to drain the tank (there is usually a valve) so the tank does not rust from the inside out. Another option is to use CO2. I have never used it but there are those who swear by it. The initial investment is a bit steep but there are several advantages including no compressor noise, constant pressure, and no need to worry about moisture. Refilling the tank is fairly inexpensive and a full tank last quite a long time depending of course on how often you use it. I am sure there are others who are more knowledgeable about them and can offer more details. Hope this helps. Good luck.
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 09:29 PM UTC
yes it does thank you so much. I have all the attachments and an aware of the moisture problems as i live in Georgia where year round humidity is around 80% or higher everyday . I just wanted to be sure That I was not going to get a compressor that would not work for me then half to explain why i would half to buy another to my wife.
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:07 PM UTC
Co2?
It might be a stupid question- but isn't that dangerous? I'm mean, isn't there a risk of suffocation?
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Co2?
It might be a stupid question- but isn't that dangerous? I'm mean, isn't there a risk of suffocation?

I may be incorrect on the co2 but some type of pressurizes gas in any event.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 10:48 PM UTC
Carbon Dioxide is harmless and works great for airbrushing, I used to use it before I got a Iwata Power Jet Compressor. Its Carbon Monoxide thats Poisonous. Any compressor that gives you 20 psi should be great. Those Silent Air compressors have a very small tank, which only means the compressor will run more while your working.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:05 PM UTC
For what it's worth I am currently using a compressor by Central Pneumatic that I bought at Harbor Freight for less than $70(on sale). I originally bought it as a stop gap when my primary went down but have been using it for nearly a year with no problems. It is very, very quiet but not silent. It produces a constant flow of air, there is no pulsing, and has an on off switch. It also comes with a regulator and a moisture trap. I have had no problems painting at pressures as low as about 4psi and up to 20psi. If cost is a consideration you might want to look at one if there is a store near you. You can also order on line but then there is the shipping.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:53 PM UTC
Airbrush Master offers a compressor and tank setup with a moisture trap and pressure regulator for between 80-100 dollars... I had the Harbor freight one and like it as my back up now.... the Master Airbrush tank/compressor is the same sized pump with a small tank on it that gives me like 3 minutes of solid airbrushing before it kicks on for 30 seconds of quiet operation.... cant reccomend it enough...!!! This is what I have and I dont recall paying that much for it so shop around but look hard at THIS!!!

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MASTC-40T_4.html?gclid=CPalpJmcs9ECFRmBswodOfoM2A#.WHKKmFwhFVo
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Airbrush Master offers a compressor and tank setup with a moisture trap and pressure regulator for between 80-100 dollars... I had the Harbor freight one and like it as my back up now.... the Master Airbrush tank/compressor is the same sized pump with a small tank on it that gives me like 3 minutes of solid airbrushing before it kicks on for 30 seconds of quiet operation.... cant reccomend it enough...!!! This is what I have and I dont recall paying that much for it so shop around but look hard at THIS!!!

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MASTC-40T_4.html?gclid=CPalpJmcs9ECFRmBswodOfoM2A#.WHKKmFwhFVo

Thanks for the heads up on that. Nice compact set up and a good price to boot. There may be one of these in my near future.
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:17 AM UTC
Yes I already have the $70 compressor from harbor freight but when that THANG fires up it will wake the dead. Wife does not like that AT ALL. The Master airbrush compressor from TCP is the one I am looking at. Thanks to all of yall for the input
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 02:22 AM UTC
Must not be the same Harbor Freight compressor that I have. Mine is very very quiet. Nonetheless I think the set up recommended by Brian is the way to go.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote 100% ,i have one similar,very good set up,quiet and the TC-40T - Cool Runner is the top of the range for this small compressors series
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:48 AM UTC
Guys,

I think a compressor from Harbor Freight should be you last choice, they are designed for air tools and filling tires. The air could be contaminated with oil.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:17 AM UTC
Harbor Freight also sells airbrushes and an air brush compressor. Not top of the line but at a reasonable price and, as I have said I have been using their Central Pneumatic compressor for about a year with no problems. It was intended to be only a temporary back up but it works well and I have no complaints.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,

I think a compressor from Harbor Freight should be you last choice, they are designed for air tools and filling tires. The air could be contaminated with oil.

That's not a big problem the trap works for water and oils if you want you can find double trap or inline filters the biggest problem with these compressors are super noisy
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,

A compressor designed for automotive or construction purposes works the same as small compressors for airbrushes so you don't need to worry about oil contamination. And there is no difference between the air going in your tires or going into your airbrush. I've actually used tires to provide the air for my airbrush when I didn't have access to my compressor. Air tools are oiled at the tool not the compressor meaning you put the lube in the tool. If oil is in your air lines than there is a problem with your compressor. And like any air compressor the only thing you really need to worry about is water. I have two water traps, one on the air compressor side before the regulator and one on my airbrush station before the regulator. To avoid water problems I will drain my tank, usually when if I've been using it a lot like when working on a car or nailing. The nice thing about a tank, as others have said, is the air flow is smooth and at a constant pressure, no pulsing. With the large tank I can airbrush for quite a while before the pressure drops enough to turn the compressor on. The only precaution I take is I have a hose strictly for airbrushing because the hoses I use outside are dirty, covered with grit, grease, motor oil and mud so I don't want to drag that stuff through the house so I have a clean hose stashed in my hobby/tool room.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:21 PM UTC
Patrick,

most compressors that normally operates at high psi requires lubricant, both of the compressors i have for that purpose need oil. That has been my experience.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,

most compressors that normally operates at high psi requires lubricant, both of the compressors i have for that purpose need oil. That has been my experience.

You're absolutely right, we've burned up compressors motors that lost oil but most compressors you're going to find are going to be oil free to keep their prices down. My current one is oil free, a little noisy and capable of 175 psi. Enough to run the rattle gun and more than enough to run an airbrush.
Ironclaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds good
Found it on Amazon for $119.00 free same day shipping with prime.
I`ll let you guys know what I think once I get going with it.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,

if nothing is wrong with the compressor the quantity of oil that goes in the airline is minimum,before reach your AB have to go through the tank first and then at least 1 filter that is called "Water and OIL trap or filter" for something, if you are still worried you can ad a inline filter or like me a trap with regulator at the table,my is on the Holder like this one...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Airbrush-Holder-Holds-up-to-4pcs-airbrushes-Top-holder-swivels-to-help-to-keep-airbrushes-balanced/855475595.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10068_10000009_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10099_10078_10079_10000012_10103_10073_10102_10000015_10096_10052_10053_10050_10107_10051_10106,searchweb201603_3,afswitch_5,single_sort_0_default&btsid=3a87cdf0-2bd7-40dc-81b7-b0dd9fbfc6b4

...if you still have oil in line is time to change the compressor!
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 07:37 PM UTC
I bypassed any issues with oil, water and noise by going to a CO2 cylinder. No moving parts, no power needed and completely portable. Go out by the back fence and paint if you want.
Ironclaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sounds good
Found it on Amazon for $119.00 free same day shipping with prime.
I`ll let you guys know what I think once I get going with it.

Thank you very much Brian for the information on this compressor.
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon and I have been monkeying around with it and have to say it is pretty nice for the price and very quiet as well.
I still have a lot of practicing to do to get used to my Iwata brush but all the pieces are now in place.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 09:55 PM UTC
This is the one I use , it's a Paasche
http://www.tcpglobal.com/PAS-D500SR.html
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes I already have the $70 compressor from harbor freight but when that THANG fires up it will wake the dead. Wife does not like that AT ALL. The Master airbrush compressor from TCP is the one I am looking at. Thanks to all of yall for the input

Buy American..Badger or Paasche..in my opinion.
Look up Master Airbrush..that one you chose is bound not to last..you get what you pay for. They make $20 airbrushes, Chinese co. You will be back here after a month saying " i should've listened to you" lol
 _GOTOTOP