_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter AVGP Colour question
madfrog67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 03:56 AM UTC
So I just finished the Trumpeter Cougar (improved) kit ...and I am about to paint...but the colour chart refers to tamiya XF20 as a light green....and the Tamiya charts say XF20 is grey... and some people have suggested that Tamiya Nato Green is the choice...but that colour works for LAV III and newer vehicles (Leopards, TAPV...) but the green I see in photos is lighter....

Any help / suggestion would be appreciated....

Thanks...Marc
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 04:38 AM UTC
Colours fade and change with weather, wear and tear, general use, and in different lighting depending on camera settings. Tamiya NATO green is a good starting point. You can alter the shade with Tamiya Buff and/or Tamiya NATO black. XF-20 out of the jar would be far too grey.

You might want to look at Tamiya Field Grey XF-65 too as an option.

The colour of the rebuilt Cougars was CARC green so in reality it should look the same as almost all modern Canadian military vehicles.

My suggestion would be to create several small test samples to get what you feel is the best match.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 04:57 AM UTC
I still can't believe that for like the last ten years Trumpeter has suggested XF20 for green. You'd think that they would have caught on by now!
madfrog67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:24 AM UTC

I found this site:

http://ipmsrealcote.pro-forums.org/t832-tamiya-mixes-for-some-fs-colors-full-up-to-date-list-in-english

They say AVGP repaint should be 3 parts XF67 Nato green to 2 parts XF59 Desert Yellow...anybody tried this?

Thanks...Marc
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:53 AM UTC
Be careful with taking information literally on those colours. While the Federal Standard colours are very nice they are designed for U.S. vehicles and may not transfer directly to Canadian colours.

It lists CARC NATO green as simply XF-67.

It lists two different mixes of paints for Cougar/Grizzly/Husky... mix you mentioned and another mix involving XF-70 and XF-59 at a 3:2 ratio. The two mixes might actually be for the three colour camouflage on the AVGPs and not the single colour CARC green.
madfrog67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 06:42 AM UTC
ok thanks...
 _GOTOTOP