_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
LifeColor Paint
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:42 PM UTC
I'm looking at buying a set of LifeColor paints. Has anybody used this line of paint that can enlighten me to their quality?
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:48 PM UTC
I used them, but I must admit I went back to Ammo, Mig and Vallejo. Those behave better for me in the airbrush and on the model.

The most annoying part of Lifecolor is their (thermo) printed name labels which won't stay there very long, having you guess what it was:-(

H.

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 05:55 PM UTC
No problem what so ever, perfect for brush painting and with a bit of thinner work well in an airbrush.

Unlike the last poster never had an issue with the label although I also paint the colour name/code on the lid so it's easy to find in the paint rack.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 06:02 PM UTC
I have tried then but I find Vallejo the best along with Mig ammo and AK Interactive. What I most don't like about Life color is for many colors you have to buy the whole set and the bottle is inconvenient.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 06:15 PM UTC
Hmm... Looks like I will be mixing my own colors, based on these posts. Thank you for the immediate replies.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have tried then but I find Vallejo the best along with Mig ammo and AK Interactive. What I most don't like about Life color is for many colors you have to buy the whole set and the bottle is inconvenient.

What? If you go to Sprue Brother for example, they have individual colors for sale that make up those sets.

In my experience...I'm a fan of Tamiya or Lacquer based paint for airbrushing, but Lifecolor airbrushes fine at lower PSI when mixed with their own thinner.

Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:09 PM UTC
I really like lifecolor paints. I have a whole slew of them now, bought a few sets to get me started but can just as easily buy individual pots.

I have found then so much better for brush painting than Tamiya paints. They seem to have quite a long drying time for an acrylic and won't dry on the brush.
Lately Tamiya paints for me have required drying retarder for brush painting, otherwise they dry on the brush and peel just painted sections off the model.

I haven't had any issues spraying lifecolor, using either their own thinker, or plain water with a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol.

Tamiya thinners will screw then up, and they didn't seem like metho(denatured alcohol).

caragd
Visit this Community
Torino, Italy
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What I most don't like about Life color is for many colors you have to buy the whole set and the bottle is inconvenient.

It is not true you can buy only the single color from set you need.

http://www.astromodel.it/lifecolor/camouflage-single-colours.html?___store=en&___from_store=en

I'm using and no problem with them with the own thinner.

Dario
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 08:29 PM UTC
I have a lot of paint sets from LifeColor and the only complaint I can make is that some colours are are little short on pigment and so require more coats than expected.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

I have used several sets of LC and am thoroughly impressed with them. I admit I have yet to try Ammo nor Mig.

There are a couple dozen reviews and demonstrations of LifeColor here on Kitmaker. Look at the ones under RailRoadModeling to see how they performed airbrushing - excellent. Handpainting as well.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:42 AM UTC
I'm kind of torn, now. I will be doing several US army infantry figures, along with several US airborne troopers. AK has sets specifically designed for each of these. LifeColor only has the one. I will give it some more thought, pour myself a neat whiskey, take a large sip and click the "confirm purchase" button.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:18 AM UTC
I love them,for me are better then Vallejo,with their thinner or with the universal thinner of UMP work great in the AB, I always add a drop of retarder, it also very much like with brush and the color range is really vast and you can buy also the colors of separate sets.

I have some of their sets, the two favorites that I use more 'often are "Flesh paint set" and "Guns and Weapon" but I also have the 2 USA you speak

Here the complete range ...

http://www.astromodel.it/lifecolor.html?___store=en&___from_store=en
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 02:55 AM UTC
I think that I will go, with the AK set. As it would be my first experience, with either; I am going the cheaper route. I was incorrect, concerning AK offering an airborne set. I thought it was Vallejo, but upon further scrutiny I discovered it to be Bolt Action.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 04:05 AM UTC
Ive used them in limited cases . the little I used they were fine
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm kind of torn, now. I will be doing several US army infantry figures, along with several US airborne troopers. AK has sets specifically designed for each of these. LifeColor only has the one. I will give it some more thought, pour myself a neat whiskey, take a large sip and click the "confirm purchase" button.

Matt,

I'm a long time figure painter, and if your going to be doing figures, not airbrushing, I strongly suggest you use Vallejo Model Color paints, they are strong on pigment, and were designed primarily for the figure painter. The paint has a very long shelf life and the bottles are designed to use the paint by the drop there by saving paint, some of the colors I am still using are over 15 years old. Mig, AK Interactive and Life Color are thinner in constituency than the Vallejo Model Colors and are airbrush ready.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What? If you go to Sprue Brother for example, they have individual colors for sale that make up those sets.

In my experience...I'm a fan of Tamiya or Lacquer based paint for airbrushing, but Lifecolor airbrushes fine at lower PSI when mixed with their own thinner.

When I bought Life color set Middle East British Camouflage about 4 or 5 years ago the colors were availble only as a set not as individual bottles. If you used up one color you had to buy a whole set costing about $30.00, that reminds me also that Life color is expensive. I wasn't very impressed with its performance and it wasn't worth switching from Vallejo Model Air paint, so i haven't bought any since. I have tried many paints, and some are great for only one kind of application, we could devote a whole forum just on the serious discussion of this subject.

Paint and the tools we use are personal and should be approprate for what your using it for , Scott if you like LifeColor, Great!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt,

I'm a long time figure painter, and if your going to be doing figures, not airbrushing, I strongly suggest you use Vallejo Model Color paints, they are strong on pigment, and were designed primarily for the figure painter. The paint has a very long shelf life and the bottles are designed to use the paint by the drop there by saving paint, some of the colors I am still using are over 15 years old. Mig, AK Interactive and Life Color are thinner in constituency than the Vallejo Model Colors and are airbrush ready.

I realized that I already have most of the paints, in the Vallejo sets. So, I will go that route. I have one figure, near completion. I will post a photo of the final result, tomorrow. Note: I used a variety of paints(Vallejo, MM, Tamiya).
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When I bought Life color set Middle East British Camouflage about 4 or 5 years ago the colors were availble only as a set not as individual bottles. If you used up one color you had to buy a whole set costing about $30.00, that reminds me also that Life color is expensive. I wasn't very impressed with its performance and it wasn't worth switching from Vallejo Model Air paint, so i haven't bought any since. I have tried many paints, and some are great for only one kind of application, we could devote a whole forum just on the serious discussion of this subject.

Paint and the tools we use are personal and should be approprate for what your using it for , Scott if you like LifeColor, Great!

Sorry maybe in the US or from your supplier becose Lifecolor has always sold the colors of the sets,but is true paints are very personal, i dont like a lot Vallejo,i bought one set of Vallejo 8 years a go and use 2-3 time now is there collecting dust in the last 4-5years, i prefere life color but i also prefere Enamel to Aclylics,me to i do figurine most in 54mm and i use LC,Humbrol enamel and Oils,i think every paint require a different approach/teqnique...there are people who like Tamiya with brush, I do not know 'how!?!?!... I find them the worst of the world for brush painting.

For the Dropper bottle is not a big deal i bought 200 good quality dropper bottle pretty cheap derectly from manufacturer and swap my Humbrol,LC etc...to dropper bottle adding 2 stainless steel marine grade bearing balls for help mixing.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry maybe in the US or from your supplier becose Lifecolor has always sold the colors of the sets,but is true paints are very personal, i dont like a lot Vallejo,i bought one set of Vallejo 8 years a go and use 2-3 time now is there collecting dust in the last 4-5years, i prefere life color but i also prefere Enamel to Aclylics,me to i do figurine most in 54mm and i use LC,Humbrol enamel and Oils,i think every paint require a different approach/teqnique...there are people who like Tamiya with brush, I do not know 'how!?!?!... I find them the worst of the world for brush painting.

To touch, on Brushing Tamiya acryls, I use their brand retarder and have achieved excellent results.
Vemmadave
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:46 AM UTC
I have the skin colour set need to practice to see the results have the books and reference material so I am all set! Just my skills will determine what result I will get,
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the skin colour set need to practice to see the results have the books and reference material so I am all set! Just my skills will determine what result I will get,

As a suggestion, use Testors tan for the whites of the eyes and the lips.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As a suggestion, use Testors tan for the whites of the eyes and the lips.

That's a good tip,never use a pure white on eyes or the risk is to give that "Gost effect",i usually mix flesh and a drop of white

I forget before if you think Life Color is to thinn to brush they have the Thickener for that

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/lifecolor-thickener-22ml/
 _GOTOTOP