_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HMVEE doodads... what are these?
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:42 AM UTC
Working up at Ft Riley KS.

Curious what these are. The solar panel and light, the tiny wired boxes mounted on each side (new kind of MILES?) and the cradles on the sides of the vehicle?

free image host
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:56 AM UTC
The solar panel/box on the hood, small receptors on the sides and rear, and amber light are a new generation of MILES. The "cradles" on the rear sides are holders for CIPs (Combat Identifier Panels). You can see the CIP in the holder on the below Polish HMMWV.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC
I-MILES TVS ?

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/landwarfareintl/cubic-receives-us-army-training-system-orders/

Another view of the CIP and its frame :

H.P.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 01:28 AM UTC
Also note the ground pad stuck over the antenna. Functional, or simply a convenient place to store a ground pad?

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also note the ground pad stuck over the antenna. Functional, or simply a convenient place to store a ground pad?

I'd vote for the latter :

H.P.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They actually protect you from getting burned. At least the stickers on the antennas warn you not to make contact with them at risk of injury.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:10 AM UTC
The sleeping mat over the antenna is just a convenient place to store them. It has nothing to do with functionality or protecting anyone from burns. I have never seen nor heard of an antenna base getting hot and burning anyone in my 23 years of active duty service.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
You put 4 soldiers in a HMMWV with all their gear, weapons, pogey bait, cases of irradiated milk, my cases of Pepsi, ramen soup, little boxes of cereal, ammo, water cans, fuel cans, and for us our jammers and direction finding equipment, you find places to store stuff out of the way. And sleeping pads take up a lot of room. That's why I got an air mattress, they fold flat and out of the way. Sticking sleeping pads on the antenna was an old school way of getting them out of the vehicle. Never had or heard of an antenna getting hot unless it was sun baked. Not even when we had our jammers at high power. Plus putting a piece of foam rubber around any type of heat source would be a very bad idea.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The sleeping mat over the antenna is just a convenient place to store them. It has nothing to do with functionality or protecting anyone from burns. I have never seen nor heard of an antenna base getting hot and burning anyone in my 23 years of active duty service.

Likely that's the case. I was basing my information from working with antennas in the Navy. RF burns from antennas are serious and injure from the inside out. I also noted on the M151s I rebuild, the antennas with the ceramic base have all sorts of warnings about not touching them when energized. They even come with stickers to place on the vehicle. It's radiation, not thermal heat, so the sleeping mats are safe!

Check out page 2-31 of the Navy's info on antennas. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14092_ch2.pdf
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You put 4 soldiers in a HMMWV with all their gear, weapons, pogey bait, cases of irradiated milk, my cases of Pepsi, ramen soup, little boxes of cereal, ammo, water cans, fuel cans, and for us our jammers and direction finding equipment, you find places to store stuff out of the way. And sleeping pads take up a lot of room. That's why I got an air mattress, they fold flat and out of the way. Sticking sleeping pads on the antenna was an old school way of getting them out of the vehicle. Never had or heard of an antenna getting hot unless it was sun baked. Not even when we had our jammers at high power. Plus putting a piece of foam rubber around any type of heat source would be a very bad idea.

Exactly what I was thinking, Patrick: If it's hot enough to seriously burn someone then those foam pads don't stand a chance. And Bruce's point on Navy antennas aside (shipboard antennas put out orders of magnitude more power than vehicle-borne), any power an antenna radiates as heat is simply power not going into putting out a signal so the warnings must be in the event of some sort of short or other fault. Of course you might get your cojones cooked sitting too close...

Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:51 AM UTC
We did have RF hazard warnings on our jammer amps and jammer transmit heads but they never got hot.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They actually protect you from getting burned. At least the stickers on the antennas warn you not to make contact with them at risk of injury.

Here’s the stickers that come in the kits to install the antenna mount on M151’s (1:1 scale).

Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here’s the stickers that come in the kits to install the antenna mount on M151’s (1:1 scale).

It's not a warning for a thermal burn but an electrical or RF burn hazard. As stated above an antenna base doesn't get hot. Our jammers put out a lot of RF power, far more than any vehicle radio, but the antennas never got hot. The sticker gives you the key, contact with antenna or lead while in use can cause burns. That is when the current is flowing and touching it can cause the transmitted power to flow thru you to ground and that causes burns. The sleeping pads aren't going to protect you from getting burned because the leads come up thru the bottom of the mount which already has metal shields to protect it. And the pad is only a couple of feet wide so most of the antenna is exposed and can be touched. Look at it this way, if pads protected you from getting burn from an antenna the military would tell you to cover the antenna with them and never remove them but the military doesn't. On the other hand if the antenna was a source of thermal heat the military would forbid the placing of flammable material (and those pads burn) on antennas and would punish soldier for doing it but they don't.

Placing sleeping pads on antennas is nothing more than a way to get a piece of annoyingly large equipment out of a crowded vehicle. That's it, nothing protective about it.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's not a warning for a thermal burn but an electrical or RF burn hazard. As stated above an antenna base doesn't get hot. Our jammers put out a lot of RF power, far more than any vehicle radio, but the antennas never got hot. The sticker gives you the key, contact with antenna or lead while in use can cause burns. That is when the current is flowing and touching it can cause the transmitted power to flow thru you to ground and that causes burns. The sleeping pads aren't going to protect you from getting burned because the leads come up thru the bottom of the mount which already has metal shields to protect it. And the pad is only a couple of feet wide so most of the antenna is exposed and can be touched. Look at it this way, if pads protected you from getting burn from an antenna the military would tell you to cover the antenna with them and never remove them but the military doesn't. On the other hand if the antenna was a source of thermal heat the military would forbid the placing of flammable material (and those pads burn) on antennas and would punish soldier for doing it but they don't.

Placing sleeping pads on antennas is nothing more than a way to get a piece of annoyingly large equipment out of a crowded vehicle. That's it, nothing protective about it.

I’m not referring to THERMAL burns, but RF burns.

There’s also a reason that you’ll see the practice in older desert operations and not currently. Apparently PS Magazine described an issue with sand blowing across the antenna causing s build up of static charge, affecting the radio. Protecting the antenna from the blowing sand was suggested until a manufacturer modification could be installed that discharged the static.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 - 07:55 AM UTC
We had static build up in the desert with our antennas especially one system that was remotely set up from the vehicle. Windblown sand (and volcanic ash from YFC) would build up static and it would send sparks from our equipment to the mounts or from the mounts to us. One night the wind and sand was so bad we had a big fat spark jumping from our RT-524 to the VRC-47 rack, a gap of about an inch, almost every second, and soldiers being soldiers we had to see how many times we could take it. But it was nothing more than a minor shock, I took worse shocks while hooking up vehicles to hovering helos.

_GOTOTOP