_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Does anyone make this version of HEMTT?
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:23 PM UTC
At Ft Riley, these HEMTTs are running all around the place.

I noticed that they seem to have an expanded engine compartment and spare tire Stowe's on the roof.

Note the vents on each side behind the cab. It seems the kits I've been looking at aren't this type of cab/engine.

Does anyone make this latest version?

picture uploading

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:46 PM UTC
You have a couple versions there. The upper left pic is an M1120A4 LHS (Load Handling System), which can carry 10 tons of cargo on a flatrack or in a container. The other two pictures are of the M1074A1 PLS (Palletized Load System), which can carry 16.5 tons of cargo on a flatrack or in a container. They are both the latest version of HEMTT variants. Unfortunately, there are no models of these latest versions.

The closest kit to them is the Italeri M1120, which is an A2 version.

Trumpeter is also working on an M1120A2.

You can see a great build of the Italeri M1120 by Michael Koenig (165thspc here at Armorama) here.

I also took the Italeri M1120 and combined it with the Trumpeter M983, a bunch of other parts, and some scratch-building to build an M1074. You can see it here. I need to get back to work on it soon.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 12:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually saw that HEMTT build... very close attention to detail. Looks great.

I should have been more clear... when I was asking about the version/model I was referring to the version with the larger engine section behind the cab. The section covered in ventilation slats whereas most of the kits I've seen appear to not have the as wide of an engine section, and thus the spare wheel fits on the side.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 12:26 AM UTC
Right. The version you are referring to is the A4 for a standard HEMTT/LHS and the A1 for the PLS. They have a redesigned engine compartment that has a radiator mounted on each fenders (along with a few other changes - larger PLS-style air cleaner, redesigned exhaust pipe), which doesn't allow the spare tire to fit there any longer. The A4s now use the longer PLS cab, and use the TAK4 suspension as well.

M1120A4 driver's side.

Passenger side.

M977A4 HEMTT cargo truck.

M978A4 HEMTT fuel tanker.

M983A4 HEMTT tractor.

SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 01:22 AM UTC
HEMTT Heaven! After years of lurking, I decided I needed to join officially, mostly because of this post. I wanted to ask where you got the fabulous close-up HEMTT pics from. Do you feel there is a definitive site? I have most of the 1:35 HEMTT variants available (only built one so far), and I just started Trumpeter's M983. Google is helpful, but I can never get pics as nice as the ones you've posted. I am also interested in the version with the grillework on both sides of the cab and the spare on the roof. Very cool-looking! Thanks for any info you can offer!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 01:58 AM UTC
Welcome Gary. The above pics are just lifted off the web using a Google image search for each vehicle type; i.e.: M1120A4, M983A4, etc....
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you feel there is a definitive site?

Primeportal is worth a visit...

http://www.primeportal.net/hemtt.htm

and Flickr has some nice hi-res stuff :

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=hemtt

H.P.
deltatim
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC
hi chaps
I don't post on here much but I hope what I do is of some help
re the a4 hemtt I think you will find a lot of differences on
the underside as well .as the a4s use a system called pro pulse. that has ultra capacitors and individual electric motors on each wheel.
like I say I hope this helps
yours
tim
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
I second everything Gino has said here. (My two cents worth!)

Wish some hobby manufacture would address our "need" for an up-to-date A4 HEMTT. As Gino indicates, one would have to buy more than a few models to get the necessary HEMTT and TAK-4 suspension parts to build their own A4 and then do more than a bit of scratch building as well to finish the project.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...the a4 hemtt I think you will find a lot of differences on
the underside as well .as the a4s use a system called pro pulse. that has ultra capacitors and individual electric motors on each wheel.

Hi Tim. You are actually referring to the experimental diesel/electric hybrid drive A3 version. There were a few vehicles built to test the concept of an electric HEMTT. It was ultimately not purchased by the US military.

On the A4 versions, the US Military went back to a more standard diesel engine with transmission, transfer cases, drive shafts and TAK-4 suspension similar to the type used on many MRAPs and other Oshkosh vehicles like the USMC MTVR and civilian heavy truck like fire trucks.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HEMTT Heaven! After years of lurking, I decided I needed to join officially, mostly because of this post. I wanted to ask where you got the fabulous close-up HEMTT pics from. Do you feel there is a definitive site? I have most of the 1:35 HEMTT variants available (only built one so far), and I just started Trumpeter's M983. Google is helpful, but I can never get pics as nice as the ones you've posted. I am also interested in the version with the grillework on both sides of the cab and the spare on the roof. Very cool-looking! Thanks for any info you can offer!

I'm working out here at Ft Riley. If there's anything you want pictures of, they'll let me crawl around on these things and get pictures if you want. We've got every piece of armor and truck out here that you can imagine.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:43 AM UTC
Bruce, if you could get some all-around pics of a HEMTT A4, esp. the engine cover area (w/o the spare on top), that would be great. Pictures of the top of the cover, from above, would be really helpful for a potential future project.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bruce, if you could get some all-around pics of a HEMTT A4, esp. the engine cover area (w/o the spare on top), that would be great. Pictures of the top of the cover, from above, would be really helpful for a potential future project.

I'll see what I can do!
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the welcome and the helpful replies, guys!
Frenchy, I had forgotten all about Prime Portal. They have some good shots. I will check out the other site as well.

And Bruce, thanks for your generous offer of photographing anything! That's really nice of you. Right now, I'm working on Trumpeter's M983. Any shots you might be able to get of one would be appreciated -- but don't go to any trouble. I haven't really dived into the sites Frenchy mentioned.

Again, thanks!

Gary
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm working on Trumpeter's M983. Any shots you might be able to get of one would be appreciated -- but don't go to any trouble.

So far every HEMMT I've encountered is the newer A4. But I'll see if I can get some pics of the tractor portion. I haven't seen any Patriot systems here. The main units here are the First Infantry Division including the 2 armored brigades, air cav, div arty, etc..
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 06:42 AM UTC
This is the only older version of a HEMMT I could find. It was in a maintenance area and amongst so torn up HMVEEs so I assume it's on its way out...

free upload image

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 06:53 AM UTC
Oshkosh now has a contract to remanufacture old HEMTT A2s into "as factory new" A4s. The "send back program" has been underway for some time now.
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:46 PM UTC
Thanks for the pics, Bruce! Is it wrong to think of a HEMTT as "beautiful"? I appreciate your time.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the only older version of a HEMMT I could find. It was in a maintenance area and amongst so torn up HMVEEs so I assume it's on its way out...

Looks good. That is similar to the version I am building, an M1074 PLS with MHC (Materiel Handling Crane). This is an M1075 PLS w/o the MHC. It looks like it is still in pretty good shape too. It is probably being prepped to sent it back to the Oshkosh factory for an M1075A1 (A4 standard) rebuild, esp. since it has shipping labels on the front panel and driver's door.

Similar M1075
 _GOTOTOP