_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftain Marksman
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC
OK so I want to do the chieftain marksman for the proposed Takom campaign. To my knowledge it was never deployed to active units although some were built I think. I also believe that none were built or deployed on the Chieftain chassis. Now with this said I personaly like to do camo paint schemes. So my question would be if this unit was deployed on the chieftain chassis what would the camo schemes be. I know I could do what I wanted but I would like to do some kind of realistic what if. So thanks in advance for any input.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:12 AM UTC
Most Cold War British armor is black on green or just green.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:33 AM UTC
The Marksman turret was mounted on the Chieftain hull...and one still exists. It was also trialed on the Leopard 1 hull, the M60 hull. It could also be adapted to the Centurion, T-55, and a few other tank hulls.

Have you seen the Takom Chieftain Marksman kit?

The painting guide in the kit provides several plausible camouflage schemes that could have been used if the vehicle entered service...Overall green, green and black, sand, Berlin Brigade, and BATUS schemes. Lots of realistic options.

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/plastic-model-kits/645-135-british-air-defense-weapon-system-chieftain-marksman-spaag.html

Check out this link and see what Ian Wright is doing with his Marksman turret on a Centurion hull...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1481095582

Have fun with your Marksman if you choose it.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 01:14 PM UTC
I've also read they wanted to mount a Marksman turret on a G6 hull. That would be something to see.
TigerTiger
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 02:21 PM UTC
Finland was the only export customer and fitted the Marksman turret to the T-55, when they upgraded their tanks to the Leopard they removed the turrets from the T-55 and fitted them to their older Leopard 2A4.

bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 04:55 AM UTC
thanks for the input and most espeacily the link to the mig site. I did not know the kit came with camo optins and yes the Takom kit is the one I plan to get.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:51 AM UTC
Not sure an AA SPG would have been much use in Berlin. Fields of fire too restricted & too much radar clutter. Now for street fighting ....... (think BMPT) ..... I believe AA defence in Berlin was in the hands of a Gunner troop using whichever MANPADS we had at the time, dropped on rooftops by Gazelle to shoot and abseiling down to scoot.

Like the BMPT and the Tunguska it might have evolved to have missiles too. Triple or quad Blowpipe/Javelin/Starstreak each side, with the IR ADAD for the Starstreak on the turret roof. Could probably have used the ADAD for the guns too, dispensing with the radar. It's entirely passive so no nasty ARM to worry about. Kinda hybrid Marksman/Stormer. There's always a Gulf War Sand paint job. Ooh - spaced and bar armour and ERA, ECM stuff. Think Challenger mods ...... And of course it would have gone to Afghanistan instead of the Scimitars used as static "30mm snipers". Think 35mm AHED 5-round burst ........ Nasty
Crox77
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 11:08 AM UTC
It was also trialled in the Challenger 1
 _GOTOTOP