_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Matte Finish
amigo1941
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi. I'm having problems getting a decent matte finish on my AFV's. I have used both Gunze Sangyo and Tamiya matt[xf86] finishes, slightly thinned with isopropyl alc or Tamiya thinners, and ended up with a milky looking residue on the model. Proving to be a pain. Any suggestions.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:10 AM UTC
Try respraying with a clear coat. That should get rid of the milkiness. You might want to test on a small spot first. If using Tamiya make sure you are using the clear flat not the flat base(can't remember the numbers). I have been using the Tamiya clear flat with their regular and lacquer thinner without problems. Is your base coat thoroughly dry? Are you spraying in a humid environment without a moisture trap? These are the things that come immediately to mind. Others may have other suggestions. Good luck.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:16 AM UTC
hi mate..

Brush or AB?...Matt varnish is always a pain in the ...i never use that 2 but is a very common problem with varnishes especially Matt, you have to mix them very well, shake, styr, then go with thin coats, better 2-3 thin coat then 1 heavy.

The problem of frosting on the model some time you can take off passing over a light hand with the same product not every time it works or gloss as Future or similar type like Humbrol Gloss Clear HUM-7431, if the frosting is not too heavy so 'disappears

The one that until now has never given me any problems, both AB or brush and always straight from the bottle,no thinner,, is AK-Ultra Matt Varnish AK-183, goes down that is a marvel, and the result is Death Flat 100%.

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-detail-up-parts-ak-interactive-ak-183

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/humbrol-hum-7431-gloss-clear-125ml

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:53 AM UTC
Try Microscale, through your brush.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 05:01 PM UTC
Airbrush Alclad Lacquer II Klear Kate Flat ACL 314 the deadest flat I have used.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 07:08 PM UTC
The perfect solution for achieving a matt finish ... Winsor & Newton's Galeria Matt Varnish. This is an acrylic medium, which can be brush-applied over any painted surface.It is self-levelling (as long as it is not applied thickly), and dries to a perfectly matt finish. I regularly use this in preference to any other product. For vehicles that would have a gloss finish (in real life), I use the Satin version, which gives a realistic sheen (perfect for most modelling scales).
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hahahahah...poor Buggar!...5 answers all different, we lack only of the grandmother the remedy and then he heard them all!...

Ok,listen mé, full moon night, smear the model with red onion juice and anchovy paste, leave it to just 13 and a half days on the sun, then you do it licked by a 15-week cat and within three days death Flat .... the cat
amigo1941
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 12:55 AM UTC
I'll try the AK product next time. Thanks. Re different answers. Yes it's always so hard to get a general agreement on any modeling issue because there are so many options out there. Same with paint colours; everyone has their own mix.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:54 AM UTC
Flat is flatter than matte....right? I have had poor results with acryl clear flat, I am very impressed with alclad lacquer klear kote matte ALC 313 or 314=flat.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hahahahah...poor Buggar!...5 answers all different, we lack only of the grandmother the remedy and then he heard them all!...

Ok,listen mé, full moon night, smear the model with red onion juice and anchovy paste, leave it to just 13 and a half days on the sun, then you do it licked by a 15-week cat and within three days death Flat .... the cat

dude....are you intoxicated?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which brand of anchovy paste ? Can I use Vegemite instead ?
/ Robin
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:19 PM UTC
Call me old school, but I find I get the best results using Testors Dullcoat out of the bottle. If you let it separate...you'll have a lighter color carrier with a darker color at the bottom of the jar. Pour out the carrier into a separate jar, then take stuff at the bottom into another jar, add some lacquer thinner then pour in some of the carrier again (if you don't, you'll wind up with a frosted model)...and then adjust the thickness with more lacquer thinner to spray it with.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Which brand of anchovy paste ? Can I use Vegemite instead ?
/ Robin

In a pinch I've used tapenade or even crunchy peanut butter, however if you use peanut butter you must make an offering of a young rooster or a bottle of rum.
Gelerth
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Mazowieckie, Poland
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:44 PM UTC
I've tried few Gunze, Tamiya, Microscale etc but now I use Alclad Klear Kote Flat 314. It gives nice flat surface, easy to apply, stinks a little bit but has big bottle and I already did 12 models with half of the bottle.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hi, I use Model Master flat acrylic with very nice results. Ever with airbrush.

@Paul, I have a plastic bottle of Galeria, I only apply it with brush, but I don't know what to use to dilute it properly, any clue to use with the airbrush?.

TIA

Alvaro
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Flat is flatter than matte....right? I have had poor results with acryl clear flat, I am very impressed with alclad lacquer klear kote matte ALC 313 or 314=flat.

Matte and Flat are interchangeable terms. If a finish has a slight sheen, it is referred to as semigloss or eggshell.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, I use Model Master flat acrylic with very nice results. Ever with airbrush.

@Paul, I have a plastic bottle of Galeria, I only apply it with brush, but I don't know what to use to dilute it properly, any clue to use with the airbrush?.

TIA

Alvaro

I've had excellent results with Arylic in my airbrush. I thin it about 20 percent with Arylic Thinner.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:29 AM UTC

Alvaro[/quote]

I've had excellent results with Arylic in my airbrush. I thin it about 20 percent with Arylic Thinner.[/quote]

Hi Irvin, any kind of thinner? or a specific brand ?

TIA
ALvaro
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matte and Flat are interchangeable terms. If a finish has a slight sheen, it is referred to as semigloss or eggshell.

matte has a higher percentage of gloss.Alclad offers both, #313 and 314.I have both
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:54 AM UTC
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/TES00050496/product.php?gclid=CNzUxtzv_NECFUWVfgodyDsHMA this is what I have used. proprietary is a good thing?
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:13 AM UTC
Alvaro,

Testers Model Master Acryl #50496 Acryl Thinner Diluant Acryl in a 4 oz.
Bottle.

Use this with all the Model Master Acryl paints.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thanks Irvin.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

matte has a higher percentage of gloss. Alclad offers both, #313 and 314.I have both

I'm with Gerald. Matte and Flat are interchangeable terms. Matte (mat) is a French term. It does not matter what brand X wants to name or classify their products.

https://goo.gl/JCCi7p

doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:10 AM UTC

I can clearly see the difference
ChrisK89
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:15 PM UTC
Question is.. for what do you need a matte finish on your tank models and especially when? Keep in mind that weathering often should have some kind of glossy/satin sheen depending on what you did(mud, rainmarks, rust, sand/dust etc.) and that weathering itself will also change the shininess of your models.

I for one use AK Satin Clear and Tamiya Clear (X22) mixed with their flattening agent (X21)prior to my weathering attempts and it works perfectly. In my opinion the AK Satin is dull enough and the weathering after your clear cote is taking care of the rest.

A bottle of AK Ultra Flat is also in my stash.. it works pretty well, too. No frosting or such kind of stuff but i'dont really need it.

cheers Chris
 _GOTOTOP