_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint Shaker
Enigma1
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:49 PM UTC
Does anyone out there use a paint shaker? I was thinking about getting the Robard. Since I am using acrylics I have found it hard to get it completely mixed. Cheers
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:55 PM UTC
I use the Robard 410 and it works great every time. I use it for enamels and find if you drop 2 steel BBs into the paint jar, it really helps to mix it evenly and much quicker.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:00 PM UTC
I got a robards shaker and it works well, you just have add an agitator to the paint. I used little stainless balls that I got years ago, 1 or 2 in the bottle and then a session in the shaker.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:11 PM UTC
I use it for both Vallejo and Ammo, both with and without a ball in the bottle. Once I bought it and started using it, I have found I could not live without it now. Drastically improves the paint, and have found extends the live of the paint in the bottle.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got a robards shaker and it works well, you just have add an agitator to the paint. I used little stainless balls that I got years ago, 1 or 2 in the bottle and then a session in the shaker.

Just have to make sure you've got no-kidding stainless steel balls (so to speak...) if you're using acrylics. I added what I thought were SS balls from a bearing race and found out they where just plain steel when they started rusting at the bottom of the bottle.

Enigma1
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:23 PM UTC
Thanks guys I just ordered a robards. I'm sure it will make life easier. Thanks Again
RobBye
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:53 PM UTC
I'm sure you'll enjoy your Robart shaker as much as I enjoy mine.

During use, I found my shaker had a tendency to wander across the smooth surface of my workbench, which I resolved by building a heavier base for it:

DarthHans
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
I have been looking at the Robart shakers and have seen quite a few people saying they have had problems with them dying after only a short time and not being built to withstand the use. Any opinions from those of you who do own them?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been looking at the Robart shakers and have seen quite a few people saying they have had problems with them dying after only a short time and not being built to withstand the use. Any opinions from those of you who do own them?

I've had mine now for going on 20 years-- never had a problem with the motor. The rubber elastic band deteriorated about 5 years ago to a point it wouldn't work anymore, so I just replaced it with rubber bands of various sizes looped over the retaining lugs on the shaker--they work fine. I understand you can buy replacement bands, but for me the cheap rubber bands do well. I also used a portion of a bicycle inner tube cut to length with holes punched in it, but frankly, the cheap rubber bands are much easier to use. I've heard others say the motor gives out, but mine's been OK, then again I try not to run it over 5 minutes at a time, that should be enough to mix most paints, and sometimes, I'll stir a little first to get the process started if I notice a lot of settling.
VR, Russ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:16 AM UTC
I have had mine for about 7 years and the motor is going strong. I too had to replace the rubber strap with rubber bands, but that is all.
brentwal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 03:04 AM UTC
I've had two Robart's, first one had a bad motor. they work good, but seem a little stressed when shaking Tamiya & Mr. Color. Second one doing fine. Also lead free fishing weights do fine as agitators.

However a couple of years ago at most I bought a couple of 3-D printed shaker that attached to a jig saw, one does both sizes of Tamiya and Vallejo (& similar) the other does Testors bottles 1/4 & 1/2 oz.. The seller talked about making ones for Mr. Color and Humbrol. But I can't find him on eBay any more.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:03 AM UTC
I use a hand held Badger paint mixer . works great ! whats the advantage of the shaker ?
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

One more question, any big differences between the Robart AC powered and the battery powered version? Due to the voltages issues, I am planning to get the battery powered one. Is the motor weaker and less effective/durable?

Paul
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

One more question, any big differences between the Robart AC powered and the battery powered version? Due to the voltages issues, I am planning to get the battery powered one. Is the motor weaker and less effective/durable?

Paul

You will go through batteries like crazy, and yes the motor is not as strong.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just have to make sure you've got no-kidding stainless steel balls (so to speak...) if you're using acrylics. I added what I thought were SS balls from a bearing race and found out they where just plain steel when they started rusting at the bottom of the bottle.

I know guys who used BB's and had them corrode and destroy the paint. In a pinch I've used small pieces of glass used for aquarium gravel that has been smoothed. They work well also but don't have the weight of a stainless agitator ball. You can test to see if the ball won't corrode by putting it in salt water for about a week. Do that with a BB and it will rust in a day.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Paul

The AC model says it's ok up to 240v. You probably just need an adapter for overseas. I had a DC one and yeah it goes thru batteries but it doesn't dance like the AC model probably due to the added weight of the batteries. http://robart.com/products/hobby-paint-shaker-electric-100-240v
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use a hand held Badger paint mixer . works great ! whats the advantage of the shaker ?

No chance to get paint splashed or dripped all over-- and no need to clean the agitator. I've also heard some folks complain the hand held mixers introduce a lot of air bubbles into the paint, which can cause a few airbrush problems. On another note, several folks have mentioned adding BBs to assit in agitation. I don't recommend that, as someone correctly stated the copper jacketed BBs can deteriorate. Fishing line weights the same thing. If you're going to add
anything, hardened steel ball bearings work best, but careful, hard shaking in large bottles can lead to glass breaking-- (don't ask how I know!).
VR, Russ
j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No chance to get paint splashed or dripped all over-- and no need to clean the agitator. I've also heard some folks complain the hand held mixers introduce a lot of air bubbles into the paint, which can cause a few airbrush problems. On another note, several folks have mentioned adding BBs to assit in agitation. I don't recommend that, as someone correctly stated the copper jacketed BBs can deteriorate. Fishing line weights the same thing. If you're going to add
anything, hardened steel ball bearings work best, but careful, hard shaking in large bottles can lead to glass breaking-- (don't ask how I know!).
VR, Russ

thanks Russ. Ive never had air bubbles in the paint as far as i can see . i and clean up is a snap . just put it in water , i use acrylics , but thanks Im looking into one .
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC

Stirrer, mixer, scraper on the cheap. 🤑
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:50 AM UTC
I see a few comments about using steel balls, even with the shaker. I have had the shaker now for about 4 months, and I use it on Vallejo Air and Model colors without steel balls and it does an excellent job. With this shaker, you don't need to add anything inside, the rapid agitation of the bottle alone will do the job.

As for hand held mixers, they work well, but most do not fit into Vallejo size bottles.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for hand held mixers, they work well, but most do not fit into Vallejo size bottles when the tip is removed.

Kevin, The Tamiya Stirrers I show above fit into Vallejo bottles, as well as way down in the bottom of my airbrush reservoir — just twizzle between the fingers.🌪 And they're great for mixing paint on the palette as well. The electric shakers, mixers, rubber bands, batteries, ball bearings, etc. just seem too complex for such a simple task. IMHO.

Hope I didn't get off topic.

—mike
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:35 AM UTC
In the old days before a brand name mixer (like Tamiya's one) was available, toothpicks did the mixing job quite well. It was disposable and cheap. Then came the handheld mixer and later even an motorized one from Badger which was a luxury compared to toothpicks. The paint shaker is not a new invention and has been around for real life use in paint industries/shops. Applying it to model paint was a good idea and it won't take anything away from the good old handheld mixer. Always use the best available tools to get the job done in the most convenient way, handheld mixer, motorized or paint shaker are all welcomed. IMHO.

Paul
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be surprised if the motor on the battery version is at all different from the AC powered one.
The wall wart would just be supplying the D.C. Voltage normally provided by the batteries.
The fact Robart sell a battery box to convert the "AC" shaker to battery power supports my suspicion.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As for hand held mixers, they work well, but most do not fit into Vallejo size bottles when the tip is removed.

Kevin, The Tamiya Stirrers I show above fit into Vallejo bottles, as well as way down in the bottom of my airbrush reservoir — just twizzle between the fingers.🌪 And they're great for mixing paint on the palette as well. The electric shakers, mixers, rubber bands, batteries, ball bearings, etc. just seem too complex for such a simple task. IMHO.

Hope I didn't get off topic.

—mike

Mike

That was my thought before I got the shaker. I have found the quality of the paint I get out of the bottle after a "shaking" is so much better, makes me wonder why I did not buy one years ago.

Kevin
j76lr
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC
[quote]I see a few comments about using steel balls, even with the shaker. I have had the shaker now for about 4 months, and I use it on Vallejo Air and Model colors without steel balls and it does an excellent job. With this shaker, you don't need to add anything inside, the rapid agitation of the bottle alone will do the job.

As for hand held mixers, they work well, but most do not fit into Vallejo size bottles. [/quote
You are right about that ! I guess that where the shakers would come in handy.
 _GOTOTOP