_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Pre mixing thinning
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 06:46 PM UTC
Hi
I'm new to airbrushing so always looking for a little advice.

I've recently got some Vallejo airbrush flow improver to use with my Vallejo Model Color paints, which is working quite nicely. I have Vallejos airbrush thinner and distilled water to thin with.

Is there any reason to use the airbrush thinner over the distilled water?

Can I pre-mix a thinning solution to a separate bottle to add to my paints? I was considering a mix of:

45% distilled water
45% Vallejo airbrush thinner
10% Vallejo flow improver

Will this store and work ok?

Thanks!
Pete
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC
For me it's usually best to use the manufactures thinner,especially so for Vallejo.But I'm sure there are a myriad of opinions out there.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:29 PM UTC
I prefer distilled water to the more expensive brand thinner. One: It is cheap. Two: I've had the brand thinner destroy the paint. If I do use Vallejo brand thinner, I go with thinning medium. I just can't seem to master the airbrush thinner.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:56 PM UTC
As Anthony said, it's better to use their own thinner. However, you can try water and see. If you can not notice the difference, then there is no need to waste money!

As for storing the mix, I tend to avoid it. I have no evidence that it can go wrong but just in case...
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For me it's usually best to use the manufactures thinner,especially so for Vallejo.But I'm sure there are a myriad of opinions out there.

Concur.

I've used Vallejo with other thinners and water with mixed results. Other day I tried with water with a color that once worked with water, and it clogged and sputtered.

My advice is go manufacturer products first and get the result you need, then play around with the paints to see if they will work with other thinners for future projects. Kinda the "don't change horses in mid-stream" advice for airbrushes..
 _GOTOTOP