_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Hairspray
FD3S20B
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:49 AM UTC
Iam sure this has been asked a thousand times over.I came to the point that iam satisfied with the chipping process from the Hairspray. And I like to move on to filters and oil paint rendering and the rest of the weathering process my question is do I need to spray a Matte varnish onto the model to protect it from the white sprit.the paint I used was tamiya acrylic for the base fyi.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 04:17 PM UTC
The hairspray should react only with water so as long as you use oil/enamel treatments you should be fine.

In case of doubt you can give it a coat of varnish to be on the safe side (if you can not make a test) but note that washes need a satin or gloss finish, they do not work well with matt surfaces. Not sure about OPR.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 04:51 PM UTC
White spirit should not affect acrylic, but as Carlos said, it's good to check first. You need to watch out with really aggressive media, such as turpentine. That stuff can attack not only the acrylic, but your primer. Definitely want to test that first.

tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 07:57 PM UTC
Craig, you need the matte varnish not just for protection, but also as the working surface for filters and weathering using oils. On the other hand a wash would need a glossy surface. Cheers, Tat
FD3S20B
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 - 03:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the help everyone I'll just put down a coat of acrylic matte before I get stated to play it on the safe side or my other opinion is to future then decals
 _GOTOTOP