_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Where Does It End?
Enigma1
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 04:18 AM UTC
Well the day has come. Since 2002 I have stashed Model kits, paint supplies (AK, Tamiya, Vallejo, Lifecolor). Air brushes and accessories. Most recently retiring my Badgers for Iwatas, a TRN, and a HP. I have a compressor, a spray booth, numerous lights. The question is How much do we have to have to keep up with our hobby. It seems to be evolving daily. I still remember building Revells USS Wiconsin circa 1967-68. At that time it was a plastic kit and a tube of Testors. Did I have fun you bet. I learned from my chosen profession that to do the job right you must have the right tools, but for a hobby Hmm. I have built models and have had fun, are they worthy to post no. I will continue to built with all of these new things, maybe I get to that worthy "1". Well off to Amazon to find that certain... whatever I was looking for. Cheers
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:24 AM UTC
The new products/tools/accessories only make a modeler's life easier but it will never take away the fun in building and painting (of course stashing as well) the kits you love. Hope it never ends.

Paul
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 05:42 AM UTC
As much as you choose to.
Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:10 AM UTC
I feel the same way as you Scott, my current work-table looks extremely different from the one I used to work on as a kid...
I too had a simple bottle of glue and a few humbroll paints, half of them dried out, (attempting to save them with white spirit)

For me the main turning point was looking at other peoples work on the internet, and then realizing how bad and unrealistic my models looked...

I told myself in order to get better I needed an airbrush, and new paints, new kits, glue, ... etc
Now I got a lot of stuff which makes my life easier but that doesn't mean my skill-level is suddenly much higher.

I see this hobby as an art-form, one can have all this brand new stuff and still make crappy models, while someone in a dusty attic is producing master pieces with some basic stuff...

The one thing we can't buy is 'the artist's eye'. That one we have to teach ourselves and it will take time!

I really think you should post your models Scott,
everyone here should!

I force myself to post my work, I feel this helps to push myself to do better, to put more effort in my work...

Kind regards
Steven
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 07:12 AM UTC
As a kid I got by with the bare necessities that I could buy locally. The only hobby shop carried mainly doll house stuff but they would order things if you needed it so they ordered my paints and airbrushes but that could take take a while. I go in, browse their catalogs, place my order then wait. In the army, as lower enlisted I was limited to how much I could ship so I found a nice tool box that I could fit all my tools and paints in, I had a box that held my compressor for shipping and I could add a few kits to my shipment (the rest of my allocated space was CD's, video tapes, books and boots). When I was an NCO my allotment increased so I added another tool box but kept it simple. Now I'm spread out across three desks and two book shelves not to mention my stash room. Do I need all this stuff? No. I'm used to having the basics and improvising when needed. The rest is just luxury.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:45 AM UTC
I can say my work space hasn't changed much since I was a kid. I had a 3 by 4 table then and my work table is about the same size today. When I was in high school I made my biggest leap in modeling when I purchased a Dremel tool, compressor and airbrush. I no longer have the Badger compressor or the Badger 200 airbrush, wore them out long ago and have upgraded them. My hand tool collection has grown quite a bit since then though. Photo etch and resin required different tools. My tool box is a lot better than the old model boxes I use to use. So there has been an evolution of sorts for me but It hasn't been as drastic as it has for others. I still haven't made a spray booth yet preferring to spray outside where the light is better.
BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 04:36 PM UTC
When I run out of money or the Minister of War and Finance pulls my credit card
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:21 PM UTC
As with any endeavor, the more you improve your skills the more you find you need the right tools to achieve the best results you can.

I will tell you this: I'm currently working on a 1970s era Italeri kit, which I would have considered to be a great kit at the time it was released. But comparing it to what is available these days it's almost enough to make me gag every time I snip another part off the sprue.

pzkw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel the same way as you Scott, my current work-table looks extremely different from the one I used to work on as a kid...
I too had a simple bottle of glue and a few humbroll paints, half of them dried out, (attempting to save them with white spirit)

For me the main turning point was looking at other peoples work on the internet, and then realizing how bad and unrealistic my models looked...

I told myself in order to get better I needed an airbrush, and new paints, new kits, glue, ... etc
Now I got a lot of stuff which makes my life easier but that doesn't mean my skill-level is suddenly much higher.

I see this hobby as an art-form, one can have all this brand new stuff and still make crappy models, while someone in a dusty attic is producing master pieces with some basic stuff...

The one thing we can't buy is 'the artist's eye'. That one we have to teach ourselves and it will take time!

I really think you should post your models Scott,
everyone here should!

I force myself to post my work, I feel this helps to push myself to do better, to put more effort in my work...

Kind regards
Steven

Steven, I whole-heartedly agree with your post...especially about how a whole lot of stuff makes life easier, but doesn't improve one's ability! And it definitely helps to take a look at other people's work, just to see what other folks are doing.

Myself, in a somewhat philosophical sense, I'm not rushing out to buy new things nowadays. I look around my house, and see what all stuff I have, and tell myself that I should dispose of it, since it's doing nothing more than collecting dust.

Well, that's my two cents, anyway! Thanks for your post, Steven.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 06:05 PM UTC
Since 2013 I been building up my stash and tools as I progress from being newbie to I guess an average builder. I purchased the tools as I needed them but my first purchase was a cheap airbrush and compressor. I know I reach the level of supplies I needed as now I just reach for the tool or item I need instead of ordering it and waiting. My goal was to purchase major items while I was employed and had the funds that I won't have in retirement. I feel I reach my goal (The wife felt I reach it two years ago) and looking forward to years of happy modeling.
 _GOTOTOP