_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter's 1/72 M113A2
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hi all,

I got a new airbrush this weekend (Krome) and wanted to try it out on a small-scale project, so I dug out the Trumpeter M113A2 kit (7239) in 1/72 and slapped it together.

The build was really nice, going together without a single problem. There are parts (but not decals) included for a couple of different versions. The decals are very sparse and give you an option of an ambulance, or a IDF vehicle. I chose neither and just painted it without markings, as they were pretty scarce on these tracks anyhow.

I painted with Vallejo, Windsor Newton oils and dot filters, Tamiya panel line wash, and brushwork was done mostly with Humbrol enamels. I weathered it and detailed (e.g. fuel and oil stains) with AK and Mig products and hit it with a light dusting of light OD green to blend it all. The exhaust soot is black oil pastel, and the signal beacon is chrome silver with Tamiya's clear red over the top. Headlights have clearcoat to simulate a glass lens. The M2 .50 cal was painted Tamiya Nato Black, and rubbed with silver Rub 'N Buff then hit with a panel line wash. Tracks are done with Humbrol's Tracks Color, rusted with Mig's standard rust, and then pin washed with burnt umber oil, then highlighted with a Prismacolor pencil.

This build only took about 2 hours to assemble. I started it on Saturday morning and I had it painted and ready for the photobooth today (Monday). I had a lot of fun building it, learned a bunch about my new airbrush, and am pleased with the outcome. I hope you enjoy!

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:35 PM UTC
Knuckles-Christian,

Firstly, welcome to Armorama! From what I can make out, your build and paint job looks pretty good but on my monitor it appears that the images could use a bit more illumination for us to really view them better. Just for future reference, as this is a 1/72 scale model you might like to place any future 1/72 scale builds in the Braille Scale Forum where a great group of small scale advocates usually "hang out"! Once again, welcome and nice looking build.

Cheers,
Jan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:45 PM UTC
Looks good, the external fuel tanks make this an M113A3 and not an M113A2. The second fuel cap on the left rear should be deleted for this version of the vehicle.
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:48 PM UTC
Agreed on the lighting. I brought this one to work (my boss used to work on these) and shot it on my mobile phone while at my desk. I have a photo booth at home with lights (ok--it's my paint booth, but once you drape something over it, it becomes a photo booth). I'll get better shots of future builds.

I discovered the Braille Scale sub immediately after posting this. Sorry for the mislabel. I AM new, afterall

Next off the bench is a FLAK 18 in 1/35, and in production is a Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34 with the full interior.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:04 PM UTC
Knuckles-Christian,

Just to clarify, nothing "wrong" with where this was posted and Armorama can indeed get a bit confusing. Thought I'd point out about the other forum as I am a denizen of it and this particular build would fit!

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP