_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Befehls Panther G 151, Dragon 6847 1/35
MattSz
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hello.
I started new project, this time something more embedded in the history. Befehls Panther G no.151
from I./SS- Pz.Rgt, Kampfgruppe Peiper, Battle of Stoumont, 12.19.1944, Ardennes offensive.
For this build I will use this kit: Dragon 6847. This is the sample from Jim, so thank You very much for a chance to build it.

Pötschke's abandoned Befehls Panther in La Gleize

The 151 Befehls. Panther commander: SS-Sturmbannführer Werner Poetschke.
By the way he was very interesting personality, when the first attack on Stoumont broke down, Poetschke left his Panther, went on foot to first-line vehicles and ordered commander 2. Company Panter Friedrich Christ to resume the attack when he refused captured Panzerfaust and threatened to destroy his tank If it does not resume the attack. 2 hours later Gearmns get the town. The Americans lost 315 men, of which 284 were taken captive. As at the same time the Americans recaptured Stavelot, cutting off Kampfgruppe Peiper from the rest of Leibstandarte troops.

Panther 151 position during the battle, 12.19.1944

This is the paint scheme identical for 151 tank.

I found that Potschke's Panther was delivered to the unit at 10th November, so it was produced in October. 151 has two differences in compare with this drawing: earlier mantlet type and lack of mg on the turret top.

I need to use the following parts, corrected for the production time.
-Small idler wheel
-flame vernichter exchausts
- earlier rounded mantlet
- pilzens on the turret top
- a welded handle on the hatch in the back of the turret
- rain guards over the driver's periscope
- the peak between the mantlet and the turret
- rain guard for the gunner's periscope
- increased fan cover with compartment heater.

That's it for this moment, build picture soon.
MattSz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
I started build last night and this is my current progress:
The suspension is finished.

As you see even this DS tracks, looks not too bad. They are little bit too long, so the idler wheel arm should be glued withdrawn as much as possible
I also made the suspension worklable

It acting on the principle of torsion bars.

The suspension behind the wheels is very well detailed and it's a pits that all graet details are invisible after final assembly. The delicate texture of rolled steel is also visible.

Some hatches and access lids are moulded on the hull bottom.

Welds are good recreated, they are visible but not exaggerated.

So far, the kit is very pleasing, the typical Dragon high quality.
MattSz
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:51 PM UTC
Small progress.
Rear plate assembled. Everything fit together very well, even superb detailed seven-piece jack didn't cause any problems. I only added the weld where he rear plate is connected with the hull bottom.
I learned that the wehicle that I want to do was produced in September 1944 so I mounted the exhaust with early version of the Flamevernichter.

I also assembled the compartmentfor the fans and grills. Dragon provide two different fan types. Based on the diagram from the book Der Panzer-Kampfwagen Panther und seine Abarten I chose those with more wings.
MattSz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC
Progress- Already slowly looking like Panther. I glued two hull halves together and add all details on fornt glacis plate and engine plate.

It's a pleasure to assembly this kit, but I spent a lot of time witch my nose in books to check which part to choose to make the model fit the original. Yesterday 2 hours I was looking for information about fan covers because I did not know which to use
And this is my set up for the engine plate

pzandt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 02:35 AM UTC
Matt:
I think it is great that you are putting in so much research to create an accurate build with a true story behind it. I look forward to following your progress.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 06:44 PM UTC
There actually exists a video of Poetske picking up the very Panzerfaust he used to threaten the tank commanders to keep the attack going. He is at the east side of the Robinson house at the entrance to Stoumont along with a few Paras. He has just finished ordering a PzIV to flank the town on the left and you can see it back up and take off around the back of the town.
The Sturmbahnfuehrer was killed in Hungary by a Russian mortar that also took out most of the LAH Pz officers having a hasty command orders group meeting.
Good luck with your build and have fun.
J
Streegun
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 08:05 AM UTC
wow it is wonderfully clean
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 09:13 AM UTC
Any updates????? Always love a Panther build.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 12:34 PM UTC
G'day Matt

Looking good. If I might make a suggestion, it is to check your references before starting to paint. The reason for that is that I think you may find the majority of Panthers were primed in red-brown, with the exception of those produced by Daimler-Benz, which were primed in grey.

Regards

Rob
 _GOTOTOP