_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
M48 A3 tank color
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hello,

I'm in the process of starting to paint my Dragon M48A3 model, as I just finally fnished up construction today. I did some digging and learned that the federal FS34079 which is dark green, I was looking to cross this over to Tamiya, and for whatever reason, I'm having an impossible time crossing it over.

Also when looking at reference pictures, it seems to me that colors are not really consistent. Obviously due to tour of duty length, location, etc, I understand that finding the perfect tone might be difficult.

Just hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of the right color, or at least help me with a base line.

Thank you!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

I'm in the process of starting to paint my Dragon M48A3 model, as I just finally fnished up construction today. I did some digging and learned that the federal FS34079 which is dark green, I was looking to cross this over to Tamiya, and for whatever reason, I'm having an impossible time crossing it over.

Also when looking at reference pictures, it seems to me that colors are not really consistent. Obviously due to tour of duty length, location, etc, I understand that finding the perfect tone might be difficult.

Just hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of the right color, or at least help me with a base line.

Thank you!

Army or Marines?
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:47 PM UTC
marines sorry for leaving that out
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:52 PM UTC
Based on my admittedly faulty memory I find Tamiya XF-74 JGSDF OD to be a great match for Marine Green from that era.

G
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:18 PM UTC
Thank you for the help, funny you mention that color, I took some of my greens out, and put some down on a sheet of spare styrene to test them out.

And I thought that the JGSDF green was pretty much a spot on match, I don't care what the actual paint is called or of it's not the right FS color, I just want it to pass the old eyeball test.

Luckily since I like to build Japanese modern armor, I have this color in abundance.

bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC
What is the correct color for Army M48's then because I've read several post stating that XF74 was the color to use on them? Did the USMC and the Army use the same color paint in Vietnam?
 _GOTOTOP