_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Flak 36/37 88mm Gun Conversion Question
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:58 AM UTC
While at Barnes and Noble tonight (a frequent stop for me) I came across a picture in a WWII book that had the Flak 36/37 (in anti-aircraft cofig.) mounted on the chassis of what looked like a tiger tank for mobility. Has anybody seen this before or seen a conversion of this setup? I think it would be an intresting conversion to do.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC
Most likely this was a photo of a mock-up. The Germans envisioned all sorts of SP AAA vehicles (sucks when you don't have air superiority). There were many versions of flak guns on various chassis, many never made it into production. The preponderance of the track versions were on Mk IV chassises or half-tracks.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:05 PM UTC
Of all the available kits for German hardware, the 88 has always been one of my favorites. I have always wanted to make a dio with this kit (Tamiya). Placed in an embankment, performing direct fire on enemy tanks. I don't have the heart to use any US armor in it, so I would have to choose Russian. Another problem was the true distance from gun to tank. I solved this by dreaming of book ends on a long shelf. By placing each piece on the far ends of the shelf, and filling in between with what else, books, I could pull it off. Just an unrealized dream as of late. Soon...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hey Tin, check this out!!! Found it while strolling around out there. Thought you might be interested. Is this sort of what you found in the book at B & N's?

http://www.canada-shops.com/Stores/dscheel/c51864p9589991.2.html

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 07:38 AM UTC
Ken, thx for the pic! That's similiar just a different hull on it. I found the book at IPMS Richmond and showed Jim what I was talking about. It was the Flak 36/37 mounted on a Tiger hull. I think the joining of the Flak kit and a tank kit would be cool and maybe even a cool diorama sometime in the future....I can see a Flak 36/37 parked inside a shelled out building providing anti-aircraft support!
 _GOTOTOP