_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
attaching weathering pigments
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hello, I was looking for some guidance on attaching and fixing weathering pigments to models. Generally I use the Mig dry pigments, you know the powder ones. I generally just brush them on and don't have any issues.

My question is for making the pigments thicker, or making mud, can I just use Tamiya thinner, or do I need to use a specific pigment attacher?

Thank you for the help!
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi there.
I use both Mig pigments, and dry pastel powder. I get good results by applying Tamiya X-20 (enamel) thinner to the area I'm about to muck-up, then apply the pigment (with the same brush). I let that dry and knock off any excess with a big soft makeup brush. After that hit it with a pin wash of a slightly different color to add depth, and once sealed, it's good to go.

Another method is to apply a pin wash to the areas (which is mostly thinner, right?) and then dab on the pigment, dry, and seal.

Lastly, if you want more texture in the mud, add some plaster into your pigment, and mix enough thinner into it to make the consistency you want. If you apply some glossy paint over it in areas after its dry, you can replicate wet mud pretty effectively.

andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 08:33 AM UTC
thank you for the help. I really appreciate it!
 _GOTOTOP