_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Washes, washes, washes
RKrebs
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:19 AM UTC
So I am just curious as to what the popular opinions are.....today there are literally hundreds if not thousands specialty products. Where in years past everyone made their own washes, products and effects, today you can get them pre-made by virtually every modeling company out there. Pin washes, weathering washes, filters and rusting effects.

So my question: Do you prefer the old fashioned way? Or do you like the ready mixed washes and paints? And if you use the pre-made or (boutique) washes, do you see any difference in them over good old fashioned oil paints and odorless turpentine?
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:04 AM UTC
None whatsoever.I just started the hobby last July after 30 year hiatus and got suckered into buying a few weathering products.I am now into oils and getting better results than any specialty products.To each their own I suppose,but for me I prefer doing things old school.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:49 PM UTC
While I prefer to prepare my own filters, for washes I have a few commercial ones. I do not have to waste time preparing mixes as they are ready to use, and I know the result I will get (and I like it).

As I only build German WWII vehicles, I only need a few jars and the cost is not that much.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC
My hobby time is limited,so I take the easy way out with premixed stuff.
RKrebs
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I am not bound by any time constraints or a belief that all washes and filters should be done any one way. As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. But in looking at the makeup and construction of the washes, they seem to be pretty much the same as if I were to do it myself. The only difference is the color variation between each use is consistent.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts. I was just curious as to how people felt about them is all.

Ron
 _GOTOTOP