_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
French Gendarmerie armored vehicles
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 02:23 PM UTC
For those interested in French Gendarmerie AFV's (from 1945 to 1990), a dedicated book (in French...), "Les Blindés de la Gendarmerie", can be downloaded for free from this page (just click on the book cover picture) :

http://dien-cai-dau.blogspot.fr/2017/03/les-blindes-de-la-gendarmerie.html

No copyright infringement issue here : Guillaume Tavera, the website owner, is the co-author of this book

H.P.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 02:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the link. Is the Gendarmarie a kit of military or paramilitary police since they employ gun armed AFV?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 02:50 PM UTC
From Wikipedia (I'm getting lazy I guess ) :

"The National Gendarmerie (French: Gendarmerie nationale ) is one of two national police forces of France. It is a branch of the French Armed Forces placed under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of the Interior—with additional duties to the Ministry of Defense. Its area of responsibility includes smaller towns and rural areas, while the Police Nationale—a civilian force—is in charge of cities and large towns. Due to its military status, the Gendarmerie also fulfills a range of military and defense missions. The Gendarmes also have a cybercrime division. It has a strength of more than 100,000 personnel as of 2014"

H.P.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 02:58 PM UTC
Impressive... I`d wish that here the Feldjäger had similar responsibilities.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:04 PM UTC
I've just noticed I've made a mistake about the right discussion group to choose....

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've just noticed I've made a mistake about the right discussion group to choose....

H.P.

That's the reason why I avoid choosing a discussion group when I start a topic
/ Robin
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 03:28 AM UTC
The Gendarmerie have long had border protection and counter-terrorist responsibility, the main reason for keeping armoured vehicles - in common with the Italian Arma Dei Carbinieri, former German Budesgrenzschutz and Dutch Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Marshals) among others. For a peace-loving people the Dutch KM have a surprising array of bright blue YPR-765 based tactical vehicles - but then they've had their fair share of brushes with terrorism and narco-crime. Gendarmerie also provides security at non-military French MOD sites, such as those run by DGA.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 07:43 PM UTC
Frenchy, thanks for notifying us about this book. Also, if you know him, please thank Mr. Tavera for sharing it with us as well. It is very kind of him to do so.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Gendarmerie have long had border protection and counter-terrorist responsibility, the main reason for keeping armoured vehicles.

In fact, the main reason for Gendarmerie to crew armored vehicles was the homeland defense against the famous spetznaz during the Cold War. While the Army were supposed to fight the battle in Western Germany, Gendarmerie were assigned the defense of high military value targets along with the Army reserve regiments.

Patrick, it is indeed nice from Guillaume Tavera to share his book. This is due to bad guys trying to make money by selling on the internet digital copies of his book which is long OOP. A real shame but a luck for us.

Olivier
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick, it is indeed nice from Guillaume Tavera to share his book. This is due to bad guys trying to make money by selling on the internet digital copies of his book which is long OOP. A real shame but a luck for us.

I agree, great for us, but too bad that Mr. Tavera had to deal with Copyright thieves. Great solution by him though to take away their profits.
 _GOTOTOP