_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-10 Tracks question?
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:34 PM UTC
I've got a set of Fruil ATL-12 tracks (T-54e). I have no model to put them on. Looking at Shermans, and they're not very exciting--however, that M-10 looks pretty sexy and I can score one at a good price. My question to you guys (I don't know WW2 US armor very well): Did the M-10 wear these type of tracks? What did wear the T-54e tracks?
Thanks!
Mortifa
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 267 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC
Just bought a set of the Kaizen T-54E and on the box it states the M-10.
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just bought a set of the Kaizen T-54E and on the box it states the M-10.

Beauty! Thanks!!!
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 05:39 AM UTC
T54e are the all steel chevron track right ? If so , then the M 10 wouldn't have the groucers on the side hull racks , it didn't need them ( and they wouldn't fit over chevron track ). IRC , groucers only issued to tanks that had those flat rubber pad tracks . So go crazy and hang crew stowage on the racks
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

T54e are the all steel chevron track right ? If so , then the M 10 wouldn't have the groucers on the side hull racks , it didn't need them ( and they wouldn't fit over chevron track ). IRC , groucers only issued to tanks that had those flat rubber pad tracks . So go crazy and hang crew stowage on the racks

I'd love to say I had some idea of what you're talking about, but honestly this is the first piece of WW2 Allied armor I've built in 30 years. I have the T-54e tracks, and the AFV Club M-10 kit # 35024. Would it work and be accurate (more of less, erring on 'will it fit')?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'd love to say I had some idea of what you're talking about, but honestly this is the first piece of WW2 Allied armor I've built in 30 years. I have the T-54e tracks, and the AFV Club M-10 kit # 35024. Would it work and be accurate (more of less, erring on 'will it fit')?

Not a Sherman expert. Google is my friend

Grouser: metal thingy attached to the outside of the track links (the side touching the ground) to improve the traction on ice (and other slippery surfaces).

Mounted in a rack on the front/glacis of some Sherman

Grousers in the rack on M10 with rubber block tracks:

Tracks with steel chevrons don't need grousers (or the need is not so urgent ..) since the chevron acts as a grouser.
The smooth rubber pads really needed the grousers ....

Overview over Sherman track types:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/tracks/vvss_tracks.html

Not quite sure if this one has the T54e tracks:

Note: The images below mot likely show M36's (not quite the same as an M10)

Maybe this image is better evidence:

Looks like T54E1

Notice the shiny look of those chevrons (polished steel)

/ Robin

Don't know if this M36 had the T54E2 tracks during WW II or if it has been fitted afterwards. It does have the grousers in the side rack though ....

Shiny chevrons
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 06:55 PM UTC
Thank you SO much. That explains everything well and I understand now.

Those are some awesome pics you posted, and I need more stowage AM now...
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 05:43 AM UTC
Whatever they left the factory with, replacements in the field would have used whatever track was available: any M4 track would fit an M10. There's even a brief clip that pops up on some history programmes of a British M4-series vehicle being loaded for D Day with different link types in the same track.
 _GOTOTOP