_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Meng Shilka Vallejo to Ammo alternatives
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hi guys
I currently started building Meng Shilka. Painting instructions call for Vallejo paints and I can't find any paint conversion chart for Ammo substitutes.
I am thinking of building two toned Chechen war version (year '95-'96) and instructions for this version call for Vallejo 71.017 (Russian Green) which I found out that it should be Ammo 4BO Russian green. Other color should be Vallejo 70.857 (Golden Olive). Does anyone know what Ammo paint matches that Golden Olive?
The other version I am considering is Soviet version in Afganistan (year '88). Instruction says to use Vallejo 70.806 (German Yellow) as a main color and 71.005 (Intermediate blue) for camouflage. This gives me headache since the camouflage on picture is not looking blue to me but something like Olive drab or something like that. I do have Ammo Afganistan war '79-'89 set and according to that, I should use their Yellow Gray for main and Russian Base ZIS 508 for camo. Is that right or should cammo be some blue version of Ammo and if so, which one?
Thank you for your help.
RussianArmor
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys
I currently started building Meng Shilka. Painting instructions call for Vallejo paints and I can't find any paint conversion chart for Ammo substitutes.
I am thinking of building two toned Chechen war version (year '95-'96) and instructions for this version call for Vallejo 71.017 (Russian Green) which I found out that it should be Ammo 4BO Russian green. Other color should be Vallejo 70.857 (Golden Olive). Does anyone know what Ammo paint matches that Golden Olive?
The other version I am considering is Soviet version in Afganistan (year '88). Instruction says to use Vallejo 70.806 (German Yellow) as a main color and 71.005 (Intermediate blue) for camouflage. This gives me headache since the camouflage on picture is not looking blue to me but something like Olive drab or something like that. I do have Ammo Afganistan war '79-'89 set and according to that, I should use their Yellow Gray for main and Russian Base ZIS 508 for camo. Is that right or should cammo be some blue version of Ammo and if so, which one?
Thank you for your help.

According to Vallejo's paint conversion PDF, no one has a match for 857. 8 different paint manufactures are on the list
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 06:03 PM UTC
Hi David
yes, I saw that conversion but thanks for your help anyway. The mistery continues...
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi David
yes, I saw that conversion but thanks for your help anyway. The mystery continues...

Maybe, if haven't already. Go straight to the source...

[email protected]
 _GOTOTOP