_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Takom T29E3 colours
smith_rc3
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi All

I have a question about the new Takom T29E3 and a colour scheme using three colours, bright green, green base and black. The scheme is labled Hamburg 1945. Is this genuine! Was the vehicle ever used in Hamburg and if so would it have been painted in the way shown, or is it a total what if?
The colours in the diagram do not match the Ammo of Mig colours and I wondered if the scheme if used would have been a light green and black added over the original Olive drab.
Or would the tank really have been painted green base with the light green and black over it?
I cannot make up my mind, the problem is further complicated by the light green and green base being very similar.

Can anyone cast some light on the topic please

All the best
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 01:33 AM UTC
I believe that only a handful test vehicles were ever built and never deployed. I'd assume the real things were just painted OD. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can correct me.
smith_rc3
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 04:04 AM UTC
Thanks, it is interesting, do you know of any on line records that may prove useful, google is only partially helping...
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a question about the new Takom T29E3 and a colour scheme using three colours, bright green, green base and black. The scheme is labled Hamburg 1945. Is this genuine!

The only paint schemes the T29, T30, and T32 tanks wore was overall olive drab.

KL
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC
Not sure how likely it would have been for it to have been in Hamburg, given that Hamburg was in the British 21AG zone. Still, I've never placed great credence on the contents of most kits' painting and markings instructions.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

or is it a total what if?

It's a total "what if." As others have already pointed out, they never saw action, and the proto-types were all painted in olive drab.
smith_rc3
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:33 AM UTC
Hi All

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I did not think about the British governing the Hamburg region, before the comment, so I guess it will be olive drab.

Regards
dwnrng44
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:29 PM UTC
The Hamburg scheme is probably aimed at the WOT crowd. As others have noted, OD is it for the prototypes, and for any US tank till the Seventies. However in the what if vein, I'm considering a what if Korean War T-30, with some dragon or tiger faces on the front.
 _GOTOTOP