_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Lee decals
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:38 AM UTC
Does anyone make a decal sheet for "Lulubelle" The M3 Lee tank from Sahara???
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 04:42 AM UTC
I googled it:
https://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/products/afv-decal-us-m3-lee-lulubelle
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 06:08 AM UTC
Totally unrelated question for the experts...
Were many Grants used by the British in Europe? I received an Academy Grant as a gift, but don't want to paint it in the desert camo. I tried googling but most of the info is that they deployed them to theaters that were panzer free.
Thanks in advance!
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 06:52 AM UTC
Christian The Lulubelle decals you found are 1/56 scale. I used google and found several articles of others looking for them as well but it seems the 1/56 scale were the only ones made, or should I say, that I can find.
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Christian The Lulubelle decals you found are 1/56 scale. I used google and found several articles of others looking for them as well but it seems the 1/56 scale were the only ones made, or should I say, that I can find.

SORRY MAN!

They appear to be really simple decals. Easy as to print out. I don't have the technology, but I'll bet you can find it 'round here...
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:22 AM UTC
Only versions of Grant used in Europe was the Canal Defence Light and maybe some Armored Recovery Vehicles types ( no turret , dummy hull gun , towing gear etc ). IRC , some Grants were used as Command vehicles in Italy .
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:27 AM UTC
Christian They also do "custom" decals and since they already have the artwork I emailed them to see if they can upscale them to 1/35. Fingers crossed it might be doable, so we'll see!
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:31 AM UTC
Actual gun tanks had been superseded by Shermans by the time of Normandy; you'd need to convert it to a Command, CDL or ARV to use in Europe.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:35 AM UTC
I would say your best bet for a green Grant would be one delivered to Australia straight from the US and painted OD.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:21 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies guys!

SandCamo it is!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone make a decal sheet for "Lulubelle" The M3 Lee tank from Sahara???

There was a "Tanks on Film" or "Tanks in the Movies" sheet that had them. But that is long out of print.

I would also check all the M3 Lee sheets out there. I am positive the guys at Echelon, Bison or Star decals snuck the markings onto one of their sheets. I have seen them.

When looking for decals you can't just search for one specific thing. You have to go through every sheet devoted to that tank as sheet designers sneak in such things. Lulubelle's marking are so easy too. Just registration numbers and the name.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Were many Grants used by the British in Europe?

In Normandy, as said above, essentially none.

However they were issued in England prior to the invasion. Canadian units had them in 1942 prior to the arrival of Rams.

The image below is my model of a Canadian Lee, but we had Grant as well at this time.

As for colours, if there are a lot of new stowage boxes, as on my model above, the colour is very likely the SCC2 Brown as shown., If there are very few, or no, British stowage boxes, then the colour is more likely US OD.

There is a famous photo of a Canadian Grant training in England and I can't remember if it has the new stowage boxes or not.

HTH

Paul
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hello.

M3 Grants were also used stateside for training and they were in an olive green color..

There are several Period color photos the the tanks in use in stateside training. They were posed and used for propaganda purposes but they are good photos..

Just another option.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:14 PM UTC
Thanks again!
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:35 PM UTC
This is great! I recently built an M3 Lee and watched Sahara while working on it. I wondered the very same thing about Lulubelle decals! I'll be interested if someone comes up with a source!
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 10:54 PM UTC
Might be a small market for movie and tv vehicle markings. Hmm. Wayne
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:16 AM UTC
got a reply today from Bruce at Company B (see link above) and he will "upscale" them for a whopping $6 each!! So if you want Lulubelle just contact him...
CompanyB
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm the 1/2 owner of Company B and design all the decals and most of the kits. We can certainly reprint any of the decals we make in any scale. All we do is add a few to the custom sheets I create for clients. All you really pay for is a percentage of the sheet cost we get charged from the printer. Our printer uses a dry transfer ink that prints a white solid ink. So the decals do need to be cut out. But turn around time is pretty quick.

I currently do custom artwork for new decals on an almost weekly basis. 1/35 scale is no different workflow wise than 28mm as all the artwork is drawn digitally in vector format, then scaled to the correct size. So if you have requests for 1/35 scale, please feel free to let us know.

Brent
Company B
www.companyb.biz
misanthrope
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They also offer them in 1:35 scale . I clicked on the link and couldn't resist ordering a set.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

got a reply today from Bruce at Company B (see link above) and he will "upscale" them for a whopping $6 each!! So if you want Lulubelle just contact him...

That's awesome. How can you go wrong for six bucks! Thanks for your effort! Gonna click on the link now.
Rubicon
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Were many Grants used by the British in Europe? I received an Academy Grant as a gift, but don't want to paint it in the desert camo. I tried googling but most of the info is that they deployed them to theaters that were panzer free.
Thanks in advance!

They did not see use in Europe, but many were sent to Burma, and they were used there until the end of the war. I doubt they kept them sand colored in Burma.
 _GOTOTOP