_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Need Help with Custom Decals
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hey everyone. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. If it's not, PLEASE direct me to the proper place.

So I'm trying to make some Galactic Empire decals to put on my E-75 Standardpanzer (since it was never built I figured I'd have some fun with the paint job). I tried simply resizing the Galactic Empire insignia in Paint.NET to half an inch in diameter but it printed out all blurry. Is there ANYTHING I can use to still make the decal this small, but have it clearer? Anyone I can ask? Any free program I can use? Thanks all.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:28 AM UTC
Ryan,

Paint probably saved your image in a low resolution bitmap format.

Do you have access to MS PowerPoint, especially the 2013 version or newer?

You can resize the image to a specific smaller-sized shape in PP, and the image shouldn't be blurry if the image itself is a decent quality image in the first place.

Or you could send me the image(s) to me and I could create a PP s;ide with the images sized to what you tell me you need. I could send the resulting file as a pdf that you could print yourself.

Just let me know.
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ryan,

Paint probably saved your image in a low resolution bitmap format.

Do you have access to MS PowerPoint, especially the 2013 version or newer?

You can resize the image to a specific smaller-sized shape in PP, and the image shouldn't be blurry if the image itself is a decent quality image in the first place.

Or you could send me the image(s) to me and I could create a PP s;ide with the images sized to what you tell me you need. I could send the resulting file as a pdf that you could print yourself.

Just let me know.

Unfortunately I don't have that. ): I can't afford much right now. Here is a link to the image though:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/Galactic_Empire_emblem.svg/1024px-Galactic_Empire_emblem.svg.png

I just need it resized to two sizes: one a half inch in diameter, and the second a quarter inch in diameter. When you're finished you can email them to me at [email protected]. (:

Could you do like eight of each, reasonably spaced apart? O: I plan to use them for waterslide decals. I might have more requests later, I just need to find my turret number decal sheet and another Star Wars-related logo...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hopefully Ryan can help you resize the decals to fit. However, I can give you some tips on actually printing on decal paper-- firstly, I recommend you purchase high quality paper from Walthers if you can find it. Secondly, if you are using an ink-jet printer, you should flat coat the decal paper so the ink has something to "bite". If after printing the decal is not dark enough- run it through the printer a second or even third time to get the proper "opaqueness". Once dry, you need to seal the ink beneath another layer to keep it from running when soaked in water-- the best solution you can use is Microscale Decal solution-- it can be sprayed through an airbrush or brush painted (brush painting can sometimes streak the ink-- AB is better). In a pinch, you can use either Testors Dullcoat or Glosscoat, but this is less flexible and while require longer to soak. This should give you an exceptional decal.
VR, Russ
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 01:37 PM UTC
Note that it seems to have a white background, that can not be printed... you may leave it transparent and paint a white circle on the kit
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Note that it seems to have a white background, that can not be printed... you may leave it transparent and paint a white circle on the kit

or use white decal paper. But I agree that cutting a perfect circle is a real pain.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP