_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy M3 Lee suspension question
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:28 AM UTC
I'm starting a build of this kit and from all the reviews I have read the suspension is too high by 2mm.

Since I am not much good at cutting 2mm 6 times or more I ordered a set of Asuka/ex Tasca M4A1 early suspension (return roller on top).

Did I make a mistake in buying new suspension or will they work to correct the height problem??
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:44 AM UTC
You didn't make a mistake but didn't the Asuka set cost just as much as the kit did? I've heard that the Asuka set is pretty nice but there may be cheaper options out there. I'd have just gotten extras from an Academy M7 Priest or M36 kit but that's just me.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:43 PM UTC
Academy did release a correction sprue themselves through MRC in the US. No idea if it's still available: it was 9 years ago! See this article from Missing Lynx: http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/usa/academym3suspensionreviewcs_1.html

Yes, they made the schoolboy error of using M4 height bogies and then adding the M3 top roller, hence too high. D'oh!

I'm sure I read somewhere that they did start using that new sprue in the kits at some point. If so, yours may already have the correction. You'd better measure before you do anything drastic. A correct one should be about 10.7mm tall, the duff ones were 13mm. I see that Academy no longer list either M3 kit as being available.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:40 PM UTC
If it is incorrect MRC still sales the Lee

https://www.modelrectifier.com/product-p/13206.htm

Contact info.
https://www.modelrectifier.com/staticdisplaymodels-customerservice-s/167.htm

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 06:57 PM UTC
Ron,

I have yet to see evidence that Academy replaced the sprues in the Lee kit. I've seen it in the M7, but not the Lee. That being said, the Tasca suspension is certainly a very fine update for the kit and even if the correct bogies were included it makes for a marked improvement.

Back in the day I built mine, I replaced the suspension with resin items from Formations (now defunct), which was a good alternative (not sure if a correct plastic item was even available).

Cheers!
Stefan
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:45 PM UTC
Formations is still around under new ownership but they don't have the bogey's I need anymore. They do have the corrected rear panel with the box air filters and fish tail exhaust which I ordered and got fairly quickly.

Communication sucks, they don't answer emails or messages.

Thanks for all the replies! Lulubelle is goning to be spiffy!
pmontero
Visit this Community
Las Palmas, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:54 PM UTC
This is the kit that has the correct bogies

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_13228.shtml
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:40 PM UTC
The Lee kit also received a corrected sprue YEARS ago. There is also an errata sheet in the instructions and has been for over 6 years when I bought my kit.

We need to stop spreading out-of-date and false information.

I used the spare M7 trucks because I needed the slotted ones for the version I built. But the kit did have the correct height bogies with the errata sheet. Academy added the parts to the sprues along with new springs. Check pictures carefully for Lulubelle as she may have had solid road wheels as many later M3 did.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have yet to see evidence that Academy replaced the sprues in the Lee kit. I've seen it in the M7, but not the Lee. That being said, the Tasca suspension is certainly a very fine update for the kit and even if the correct bogies were included it makes for a marked improvement.

I picked up a Lee at a model show and was pleasantly surprised to find it had the corrected bogies included. But there was no outward indication on the box - I had to measure them to be certain!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:27 AM UTC
Academy fixed this many years ago. Unless you picked up a very, very old kit, the kit parts should be fine. My kit has the corrected suspension parts. However, the tracks are now too long, since they were designed for the taller bogies. Since Academy's tracks are also too narrow, you might as well pick up some aftermarket tracks, like the Panda Plastics set. A spacer will be needed for the drive sprocket, unless you you use the Asuka parts.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:22 AM UTC
Ron,
Did u ever figure out whether ur kit has the corrected parts or old incorrect suspensions?
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:51 PM UTC
I picked up the Lee set with the incorrect suspension. Is there any way of getting a replacement set in Europe?

John
ronbo070
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:36 PM UTC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asuka-Model-Ex-Tasca-1-35-M4-Sherman-VVSS-Suspension-Set-C-Initial-35015-/112368118761?hash=item1a29a96be9:g:FS0AAOSwc49Y7f4P

I bought this set for mine and it seems to be the corrected size. They may ship overseas but there may be sellers in Europe that carry them too. Easy to swap out too!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up the Lee set with the incorrect suspension. Is there any way of getting a replacement set in Europe?

John

I have Formations resin "quick fix" set for Academy M3 for sale if you are interested (http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/Formations/formF069.html). It can be yours for US$15 + shipping from Poland (approx $5 to Denmark).
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:53 AM UTC
I thought I had gotten ahold of an Academy boxing with the bad bogies in it so I contacted MRC and they were kind enough to sell me a replacement sprue. When I compared it with the sprue in the box...identical!

If anyone needs one of the MRC sprues, I have one still in plastic I'll be happy to pass on.

berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:01 AM UTC
PM sent Mark
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 02:47 AM UTC
Reply sent. Sorry for the late response--haven't been around for awhile!

SteelEagle
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 02:59 AM UTC
"The Lee kit also received a corrected sprue YEARS ago. There is also an errata sheet in the instructions and has been for over 6 years when I bought my kit.

We need to stop spreading out-of-date and false information."

Stephen - It's not about spreading false information. It's about awareness. There are old kits floating around at swaps, eBay, etc., that one has to watch out for. Good for people new to the hobby to know that this was once an issue that has been dealt with by the manufacturer.
 _GOTOTOP