_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
British Camo Scheme (Late War)
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hi there,

first I will have to state that I have no clue about UK colors whatsoever. And there my questions come from: I want to depict a late war British camo scheme and would want to ask, which colors would be used at best? And maybe you can also point me into the right direction concerning actual colors (meaning what to buy as acrylics, preferably Vallejo)? Thanks for your help!
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:33 PM UTC
In April 1944 the base colour was changed to SCC15, a green which was similar to US OD No.9 (which admittedly wasn't green at all). Authorised camouflage colour on that was black, although it was not terribly common on tanks. The MAFVA website www.mafva.net has mixes by Mike Starmer, who has been studying the subject for years. He has also posted mixes on Missing Links in the past.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 01:30 PM UTC
Great info, thanks! So I guess I won't do any harm going with Tamiyas OD straight from the bottle, only highlighted a bit for overall right scale appearance...
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC
US OD is fine for US-built vehicles like Shermans, Stuarts etc as they were only repainted if materially altered (e.g. Fireflies, Crabs etc). Depends on your subject really.
 _GOTOTOP