_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bradley M2 in context
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 05:40 PM UTC
Hello,

As my second AFV build I'm doing the old Tamiya bradley M2 (35132). I'm a bit curious about its theaters of action. It looks like it was used in Desert Storm. Is that correct? I was also looking at Kosovo but it seems that it was the M2A2 that was used there. Right?

I looked through this thread https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/208543. I would actually like to have an all green vehicle, but at the same time I would like it to be in a war zone context allowing me to add some external stowage and a bit of clutter inside.

Let's start from there

Cheers
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 06:59 PM UTC
Yes the M2 Bradley was used in Desert Storm. Mine was a M2A1, the Tamiya kit is a M2A0 and with a few easy mods can be turned into a M2A1. This variant was phased out after Desert Storm as the newer M2A2 (which some units had during Desert Storm) were issued.

My M2A1 before deploying to Saudi Aug. 1990

"Lethal Tendencies" shortly before we crossed the berm into Iraq Feb. 1991.
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hello David,

Thank you for your reply and the pictures They are of much help!

The only visual difference on the exterior between A0 and A1 that I have found is the boxes on front of the turret containing the smoke grenades. They do look present on the second image you included though?

Are there any other visual differences to the exterior? The TOW is an upgraded version, but is that visible?

Regarding the interior I've read that A1 has an additional seat for a total of 7 infantry soldiers. There are already 7 seats in the Tamiya set (not counting the driver's seat). And I can't see where an additional seat would fit. Does the Tamiya kit feature the A1 interior already?

Cheers
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are already 7 seats in the Tamiya set (not counting the driver's seat). And I can't see where an additional seat would fit. Does the Tamiya kit feature the A1 interior already?

Are you sure ? I've just checked out Tamiya instructions and counted only 6 troop seats + 1 driver's seat :

https://www.super-hobby.fr/products/U.S-M2-Bradley-IFV.html

In the M2A1, the seventh troop seat was added just behind the center of the turret (I've yet to find a corresponding picture...).

H.P.
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC
Henri-Pierre:

I might be wrong about which seat belongs to who. There are 4 seats behind the turret (if I understand where 'behind' is), then there are 1 behind the driver, 1 more on the left side if you pass the turret and 1 final by the rear door to the left. Do one of these belong to the commander? .

So in total: 3 along the left side and 4 behind the turret.

I appreciate any clarification
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
My bad ! I've got this kit deeply buried in my stash and was too lazy to check it out "in the flesh", so I just searched for the instructions online. I just missed the sentence "Make 2 sets" for seat "E"...To make things worse (for me) the 7 troop seats are clearly noticeable on the sprue picture...

H.P.
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply and the pictures They are of much help!

The only visual difference on the exterior between A0 and A1 that I have found is the boxes on front of the turret containing the smoke grenades. They do look present on the second image you included though?

Are there any other visual differences to the exterior? The TOW is an upgraded version, but is that visible?

Regarding the interior I've read that A1 has an additional seat for a total of 7 infantry soldiers. There are already 7 seats in the Tamiya set (not counting the driver's seat). And I can't see where an additional seat would fit. Does the Tamiya kit feature the A1 interior already?

Cheers

The A1 also had a armor strip above the driver hatch periscopes you can see it in the pic of the DS pic.

There were 7 troop seats, but the one in the "hallway" was never used. as we only has 6 dismounts per vehicle...and the "hallway was always stuff full of equipment and other incidentals.
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 04:47 AM UTC
Interior of my M2 Build (Tamiya Kit)

The outside.

elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Henri-Pierre:

I might be wrong about which seat belongs to who. There are 4 seats behind the turret (if I understand where 'behind' is), then there are 1 behind the driver, 1 more on the left side if you pass the turret and 1 final by the rear door to the left. Do one of these belong to the commander? .

So in total: 3 along the left side and 4 behind the turret.

I appreciate any clarification

The BC sat in the turret with the gunner, there was a driver and 6 dismounts in the rear.

Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:28 AM UTC
Kitbashed Tamiya to make an M3A1, lots of scratch too.

Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:15 AM UTC
James, looks like you have a few other bradleys there. Care to share them?
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:42 AM UTC

All Tamiya with various bits of scratch and aftermarket resin and PE.
SWATdoc
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hello David,

Thanks for posting these photos and your model. That is a fine looking group of Grunts you have there.

Thanks for taking care of business.

Respectfully,
Allen
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My bad ! I've got this kit deeply buried in my stash and was too lazy to check it out "in the flesh", so I just searched for the instructions online. I just missed the sentence "Make 2 sets" for seat "E"...To make things worse (for me) the 7 troop seats are clearly noticeable on the sprue picture...

H.P.

Maybe we should do a two man campaign here
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The BC sat in the turret with the gunner, there was a driver and 6 dismounts in the rear.

David, I might be slow here, but does that mean that the seats in the Tamiya kit is correct for a M2A1?

It would actually be quite to do a diorama depicting that "Lethal tendencies" photo. But I shall start by finishing the bradley
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David, I might be slow here, but does that mean that the seats in the Tamiya kit is correct for a M2A1?

It would actually be quite to do a diorama depicting that "Lethal tendencies" photo. But I shall start by finishing the bradley

Yes they are. The "hallway" ( we called them the hellhole) seat was never used. It was rare to have a full squad on a track anyway.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 11:01 PM UTC
Thank you for sharing, James. Good looking bradleys.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:17 AM UTC
Thanks, wish I had better pictures. They are all boxed and in my truck which is being shipped, with all my built models, to Las Vegas right now. I retire on Friday after 23 years of law enforcement in Alaska.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:28 AM UTC
Nice, congratulations! Thank you for your service. Enjoy your retirement, I hope you have plenty of kits to keep you busy.
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thank you all for contributing to the thread. It is much appreciated!

Next question: What type of TOW's would the Bradley have carried? I guess that is what the ring markings are indicating. Tamiya have shipped blue and yellow marking, but I have also seen red markings. I have had problems finding any legend for what those colors means.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 11:43 PM UTC
Maybe this drawing would help ?

Talking about the camo scheme, you've said you would like to paint your Bradley green. Here you can see an example of a green ODS Bradley sprayed over with a low quality Sand paint

H.P.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC
You could always do a REFORGER vehicle, lots of crap on it, solid green, lots of pics online.

Google "M2 Bradley in REFORGER"
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking about the camo scheme, you've said you would like to paint your Bradley green. Here you can see an example of a green ODS Bradley sprayed over with a low quality Sand paint

H.P.

Thank you Frenchy. I have thought about having sand over green, but then I haven't really found any reference of this before now. If there is an ODS like that, why not a M2A0?

About the markings illustration I really appreciate them. I might need some clarification though; nose is blue (practice) or yellow (HE) right? If it is low explosive, would it be a white nose then?
What about rear marking? Brown for Low explosive according to the picture. Is the marking absent in other cases?
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You could always do a REFORGER vehicle, lots of crap on it, solid green, lots of pics online.

Google "M2 Bradley in REFORGER"

James, that is certainly one way to go. I recognize many of these pictures from earlier research.
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

H.P.

Thank you Frenchy. I have thought about having sand over green, but then I haven't really found any reference of this before now. If there is an ODS like that, why not a M2A0?

About the markings illustration I really appreciate them. I might need some clarification though; nose is blue (practice) or yellow (HE) right? If it is low explosive, would it be a white nose then?
What about rear marking? Brown for Low explosive according to the picture. Is the marking absent in other cases?

In 6 years on the Bradley I never saw a TOW with a white stripe, blue was a inert round for practice loading and unloading the launcher and some had the smoke simulator installed to indicate missle launch during wargames, yellow was "warshots" live TOWs, they all had the brown stripe on the rear to indicate "rocket motor".

_GOTOTOP