_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Abrams Bustle Rack Question.
DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC
I was looking for the answer but couldn't find any. If it was even brought up. But here it is.

Did the plain jane M1A0 Abrams ever get retrofitted with the bustle rack similar to the M1 IP and later Abrams models?

Thanks,
Derek
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:37 PM UTC
Yes, it was part of the refit program. Not all so-called M1IP in photos are true M1IP. You have to look at the gun barrel length indicating the extra turret armor. Many authors assume any M1 with a bustle rack is an M1IP. The trigger assembly on the commander's machine gun in our case (NJNG) was retrofitted by the depot.

I transitioned to M1 in the 1990s and all the M1 I served on had bustle racks and none were actual M1IP with the extra turret armor. That extended turret front could make life for a driver of my height (5'11") difficult. It was actually easier to swing into the driver's seat through the turret than that hatch.
DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:49 PM UTC
Thanks Steve,

So I can just kit bash the old Tamiya Short Turret M1A1 Turret bottom on their M1 Upper and have it set. I know the M1A1 had the add on armor but remember some where the Early Tamiya Kit had been based on the shorter M1 Turret. Plus a few other updates?

Derek
 _GOTOTOP